Anyone interested in a lumia 1020 sensor teardown?

Search This thread

motoi_bogdan

Sep 8, 2007
Hello guys.
I have a dead lumia 1020 sensor due some water damage. it so happens that i'm involved with electronics therefore i have some helpfull tools at disposal. if anyone is interested i'll try to open the sensor assembly and expose the guts inside. could be fun... :)

PS tried the same question on lumia's forum page but i figured out that it could be interesting not only for lumia owners but in general as a small inside into how phone sensors are made and what's up with those small 5-6 lenses inside these sensors.

rishav754

Jul 25, 2013
New Delhi
Hello guys.
I have a dead lumia 1020 sensor due some water damage. it so happens that i'm involved with electronics therefore i have some helpfull tools at disposal. if anyone is interested i'll try to open the sensor assembly and expose the guts inside. could be fun... :)

PS tried the same question on lumia's forum page but i figured out that it could be interesting not only for lumia owners but in general as a small inside into how phone sensors are made and what's up with those small 5-6 lenses inside these sensors.

yes why not ..! i would like to watch it ......thanks for it !:D

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

which form i have to subscribe .....

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

which form i will have to subscribe ...??

motoi_bogdan

Sep 8, 2007

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

which form i will have to subscribe ...??

no subscription is required, if people are interested, i'll be making some time to do it. i must first get some tools to get this done, since it's a tiny little thing and must be carefully taken apart in order to see the inside components the way they are mounted.
If anyone have any questions or wish for a specific thing to be tested/shown, please ask.
I also want to manually try to power up the OIS and various other motors inside to try to see how they work together.
Meanwhile, here's a photo with the sensor itself next to the phone and a AA battery for size reference. Quite a beasty in term of phone sensor sizes. It's a good thing since it's internals are bigger and better observable then a smaller sensor. However, the basic principles behind it are the same for all high end phone cameras.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

rishav754

Jul 25, 2013
New Delhi
first time i am looking a mobile sensor ......its too big . most of the sensor i viewed are small in size but it looks too big . is it includes : Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer sensors ...??

motoi_bogdan

Sep 8, 2007
2.jpg

here's the same sensor next to a "regular" 8 mpx sensor. note that a phone like the iphone 5/5s has an even smaller sensor then this, even if it still produces 8mpx photos.

yes, it's kind of big :p
...and noup, all the sensors you cited in your post ar not included in that casing for what i know now. inside of it i expect to find the imaging sensor (camera..) OIS motors, lens assembly and bearings, some dc motors and a few mechanical parts.
in general, on a typical android phone, accelerometer/compass/barometer/temperature/gyroscope sensors are located directly on the main board. Proximity/ambient light sensors, on the other hand/ are always located near the screen itself.

Reactions: rishav754

motoi_bogdan

Sep 8, 2007
i could try in about 2 days. The back of the sensor is embeded in a thin cement layer. I would first need to get some tools to extract the outer casing without damaging the internals.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2.jpg

here's the same sensor next to a "regular" 8 mpx sensor. note that a phone like the iphone 5/5s has an even smaller sensor then this, even if it still produces 8mpx photos.

yes, it's kind of big :p
    ...and noup, all the sensors you cited in your post ar not included in that casing for what i know now. inside of it i expect to find the imaging sensor (camera..) OIS motors, lens assembly and bearings, some dc motors and a few mechanical parts.
    in general, on a typical android phone, accelerometer/compass/barometer/temperature/gyroscope sensors are located directly on the main board. Proximity/ambient light sensors, on the other hand/ are always located near the screen itself.