[Q] Battery taking far too long to charge on KF 1st gen.

Search This thread

firehell

Oct 21, 2012
I am running [ROM-AOSP] Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2_r1 for the Kindle Fire [02-12 4.2.2_r1] on my 1st generation KF for quite a while now. However, lately the KF takes a very long time to charge (8 hours or more yesterday), and even appears to hang while charging. I have made no changes or uploaded anything that can explain this. (The battery saver App Easy Battery Saver is installed, and has been all the time.)

Can anybody advise on problem/solution?

Ixthusdan

May 14, 2012
Mishawaka, IN
Change your charging device. If that does not resolve it, then you will have to open the kindle and either replace the battery or check for bad solders/loose wires.

firehell

Oct 21, 2012
okay, thanks for both answers.

I have ordered a new charger, so when it comes I can try that to see if that solves the problem.

What I have noticed today, is that the main orange Kindle Fire "On" light goes out briefly now and again while charging. I don't know if this is normal or not (or if it gives any clue to what might be wrong)? The Kindle is charging now and has been for several hours, but is only at 23% after all these hours. I don't know if I should leave it (and it will stay plugged in all night) or unplug it.

firehell

Oct 21, 2012
NOT Charger - how to tell if it is the USB Port or Battery?

I should have thought of this before I ordered a new charger (which hasn't come yet). I plugged the KF into computer (usb) and after a while it stopped charging!!!!

So it can't be a problem with the charger!

QUESTION: So how do I tell if it is the charging port or the battery???? (unless a wire is clearly loose then it is not a problem to know)

I did have the feeling that the battery is running down faster than usual (but not sure) and "maybe" even leaking away slightly (less sure of this though)

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I should have thought of this before I ordered a new charger (which hasn't come yet). I plugged the KF into computer (usb) and after a while it stopped charging!!!!

So it can't be a problem with the charger!

QUESTION: So how do I tell if it is the charging port or the battery???? (unless a wire is clearly loose then it is not a problem to know)

I did have the feeling that the battery is running down faster than usual (but not sure) and "maybe" even leaking away slightly (less sure of this though)
I know with mine, sometime it doesn't charge, so I disconnect charger from kindle,
I reconnect I press it in with some pressure, and then pull out but not enough that it really moves, and it starts charging again.
I only have a problem once every 15 -20 times or less.
also could try a little pressure from one direction on the cable,
don't want to keep moving it, it can take a few secs to start charging again
don't want too much pressure or you will make it worse.

firehell

Oct 21, 2012
I know with mine, sometime it doesn't charge, so I disconnect charger from kindle,
I reconnect I press it in with some pressure, and then pull out but not enough that it really moves, and it starts charging again.
I only have a problem once every 15 -20 times or less.
also could try a little pressure from one direction on the cable,
don't want to keep moving it, it can take a few secs to start charging again
don't want too much pressure or you will make it worse.

Okay many thanks for the reply sd_shadow - I'll have to wait with that

I took the back off (first time I've done that) and wanted to see if anything was clearly loose - but I found I don't have a screwdriver that small to remove the board - so will have to buy a screwdriver tomorrow (frustrating) - and don't want to put it back together until I have checked for possible loose things.

However, I don't think that todays stopping charging while on USB/computer is perhaps that important (but I am a novice so??). The other day I did try removing charger cable and replugging, when it did not seem to be charging, and afterwards I saw it was charging, but still going really slow.

As I also noted in my ealier Post I saw that the Kindle On light went out briefly and came back on while charging now and again (on USB/computer today went out and stayed out) - I don't know if this is a usual happening while charging - or if this is some indictaion to a certain direction (loose something or battery)? :confused:

:confused:Would be great if someone knew this!?!

I don't have enough expereince to know this!

I am a bit surprised that this problem has suddenly popped up - I take very good care of my KF - and it is always protected in a cover, and I am very careful when charging it - don't move it about/Charge it fully/etc. I mostly only use it to read ebooks the last months and switch it on maybe 1 or 2 times a day, and not for that long

I can't help wondering if it could be the Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2_r1 causing this problem??

Last edited:

firehell

Oct 21, 2012
problem solved!!!

Sorry for the late reply to this – holidays!

I solved this problem with the help of this person at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3BVTWI4W8QESI

I recommend that if anyone has a similar problem then they read this before taking other action.

I bought a new charger which I did not need!

The battery charging memory was out of sync. When you put the charger into KF it switches on, and my mistake was that I had been leaving it on. Additionally you need to do a regular charge – but read the above article, a bit long, but well worth reading if you have this problem (or even without)!

Thanks to all
firehell

:good::laugh:

sfk007

Dec 7, 2017
Firehell, the Amazon discussion board is no longer available. Can you be more specific about what you did to solve the problem with the charging?

Thanks

Justgreene

Apr 22, 2018
I am having the same issue. Your link does not work anymore. Can you please tell what you did to fix charging issue. Thanks.