stitoo

May 8, 2010
Ustroń
Helo

I found a way to return to the recovery 2e

recovery 2e

Copying a file using the Root Explorer

# unzip and put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
# first mount -o remount,rw /system (important options in Root Explorer for do this)
# file recovery copy to /system/bin (and replace)
# xbi folder contents copy to /system/xbin/ (and replace)

Method by captive thanks buddy

# put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
# open a shell and get root (ADB or Terminal on Phone, type su and pres enter / accept )
# remount /system rw (busybox mount -o remount,rw /system)
# rename recovery in /system/bin to recovery3e (for backup purposes)
# copy "recovery" from /sdcard/recovery2e/ to /system/bin/ (cp /sdcard/recovery2e/recovery /system/bin/)
# copy the folder /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery to /system/xbin/ (cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin/)
# enjoy!

Restart your phone

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitro_123

ppeccin

Aug 2, 2010
Isn't anyone going to comment on this?
Gurus: does it really work? That simple?

Thanks

booyip

Aug 2, 2010
Didn't work for me - used root explorer method. Now just hangs when I try to get recovery mode. Can get download mode ok still, and phone boots ok of course. Running JPM with root and voodoo5 3. Anything else to try?

kylechen

Feb 13, 2009
it no works.

Phone: Doc's JP6 + voodoo pre3 + rooted

Method: Root explorer.

1, during copy the xbin folder to system, it shows "replace files" but after i check inside the system/xbin, the files are disappared??!! I did manually copy everything one after one from xbin to system/xbin, but i can't see where they are after copy.

2, anyway, i reboot the phone with 3b combo, the recovery mode still showing 3e.

so i say it no works. anyone tried the cable methed?

shassino

Oct 3, 2010
Could you please update the instruction for jp6 + voodoo pre4?

abd remount (don't know why) isn't working and /system is always ro so adb push and shell (adb shell works) cmd aren't working.

It is correct to remove su and busybox int the extracted folder since i have both already installed?

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
I was on JPM, followed the instructions.

Phone couldn't boot, lost ability to enter recovery. Luckily I could still enter Download mode, flashed to JPM, but being on voodoo kernel before that, didn't managed to disable lagfix before getting into this trouble - Couldn't revert back to RFS, and without ability to enter recovery to format.

Finally reverted back to Eclair firmware, could see my beloved recovery again. No way I'm going through the above again. :D

The above is just my own experience, for reference just in case someone is as unlucky as me.

Reactions: neo_galaxy

xtrememorph

Mar 16, 2010
This is the clear step on recovering the recovery2e

Recover recovery2 e

1. uncompress the downloaded file recovery 2e and copy the direcotry to sdcard and rename it to recovery2e
2. Using root explorer copy File recovery from recovery2e on sdcard to /system/bin
3. Using root explorer copy Folder recovery in xbin to /system/xbin
4. If did not work try copy xbin folder over /system/xbin folder

captive

Dec 30, 2009
Ok, confirmed working for me on JPM+Voodoo.
I installed Rom Manager too, and CWM Recovery is fully working too!! TNX

lagigia

Feb 4, 2008
This is the clear step on recovering the recovery2e

Recover recovery2 e

1. uncompress the downloaded file recovery 2e and copy the direcotry to sdcard and rename it to recovery2e
2. Using root explorer copy File recovery from recovery2e on sdcard to /system/bin
3. Using root explorer Folder recovery in xbin to /system/xbin

Your method DO NOT work at all. I cannot enter recovery mode.
Fortunately download mode is still available.

JPM+Voodoo5 pre6

captive

Dec 30, 2009
lagigia, what didn't work for you?
Here's what I did:
  • put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
  • open a shell and get root
  • remount /system rw (busybox mount -o remount,rw /system)
  • rename recovery in /system/bin to recovery3e (for backup purposes)
  • copy "recovery" from /sdcard/recovery2e/ to /system/bin/ (cp /sdcard/recovery2e/recovery /system/bin/)
  • copy the folder /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery to /system/xbin/ (cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin/)
  • enjoy!

mike.sw

Jul 31, 2010
if using the root explorer method, copy xbin folder content, do not try to overwrite the entire dir on top.

mike.sw

Jul 31, 2010
i think u can just flash only the old kernel back and it will be fixed (only zimage).

LionPDA

Apr 30, 2010
lagigia, what didn't work for you?
Here's what I did:
  • put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
  • open a shell and get root
  • remount /system rw (busybox mount -o remount,rw /system)
  • rename recovery in /system/bin to recovery3e (for backup purposes)
  • copy "recovery" from /sdcard/recovery2e/ to /system/bin/ (cp /sdcard/recovery2e/recovery /system/bin/)
  • copy the folder /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery to /system/xbin/ (cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin/)
  • enjoy!

Thanks, works fine on JPM/JP6

sackynuts

Apr 13, 2010
Copenhagen
Could we get a newbie friendly guide please. Get root. What does that mean and should i just type what you quoted. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Stefanauss

Aug 15, 2010
Could i get some background on this, please?

Is it correct that:

1) recovery2e is the default samsung recovery?
2) new versions of recovery2e can't apply all the update.zip we were able to apply with the older versions? (unsigned, signed??)
3) This is why we need the old recovery2e to replace the new one?
4) Where did the issue started? Since Froyo releases?
5) Is this why we can't root Froyo FWs with an update.zip anymore like it was the case with Eclair?

I'm really sorry if this is kinda obvious but i never really saw any clear explanation about this. Hope someone could clear it up for me :)

stitoo

May 8, 2010
Ustroń
1) Yes
2) Correct on recovery 2e you can't apply all the update.zip
4) Yes, New tutorial on fist post
4) The JPM ROM brings new recovery 3e
5) You can root phone by flash kernel with root by odni

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I included this fix in a package I put together that uses batch files to help people install it. A couple of users had problems, and this is what we discovered:

For anyone who tries this fix and gets stuck at the boot screen, you just need to plug the phone in via USB, run 'adb reboot download', then once it's in download mode, pull it from USB, remove and reinsert the battery, then power on. It should boot on as normal. Recovery mode may or may not be working, but at least you'll have a phone that works.
    Helo

I found a way to return to the recovery 2e

recovery 2e

Copying a file using the Root Explorer

# unzip and put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
    # first mount -o remount,rw /system (important options in Root Explorer for do this)
    # file recovery copy to /system/bin (and replace)
    # xbi folder contents copy to /system/xbin/ (and replace)

Method by captive thanks buddy

# put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
    # open a shell and get root (ADB or Terminal on Phone, type su and pres enter / accept )
    # remount /system rw (busybox mount -o remount,rw /system)
    # rename recovery in /system/bin to recovery3e (for backup purposes)
    # copy "recovery" from /sdcard/recovery2e/ to /system/bin/ (cp /sdcard/recovery2e/recovery /system/bin/)
    # copy the folder /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery to /system/xbin/ (cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin/)
    # enjoy!

Restart your phone
    I was on JPM, followed the instructions.

Phone couldn't boot, lost ability to enter recovery. Luckily I could still enter Download mode, flashed to JPM, but being on voodoo kernel before that, didn't managed to disable lagfix before getting into this trouble - Couldn't revert back to RFS, and without ability to enter recovery to format.

Finally reverted back to Eclair firmware, could see my beloved recovery again. No way I'm going through the above again. :D

The above is just my own experience, for reference just in case someone is as unlucky as me.