SGH-M819N (Metro PCS) Mega update via Kies

Search This thread

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
I'm seeing an available firmware upgrade via kies (MK7).

I'm a little skeptical to try it. Has anyone else upgraded to this firmware?

If so, have you been able to root your mega and install a custom recovery after the upgrade?

I don't want to install this firmware upgrade only to find out that afterwards that knox is on it and prevents me from rooting the phone or unlocking the bootloader.

By the way, I tried downloading the firmware without my phone connected but kies keeps force closing on me before the download is complete.

I'm afraid to connect my phone and try the download because I think it will automatically install the upgrade which I don't want to do until I'm sure I can re-root it and re-install TWRP.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using xda app-developers app

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
Installed Update, Re-rooted, re-installed TWRP

If so, have you been able to root your mega and install a custom recovery after the upgrade?

I don't want to install this firmware upgrade only to find out that afterwards that knox is on it and prevents me from rooting the phone or unlocking the bootloader.

By the way, I tried downloading the firmware without my phone connected but kies keeps force closing on me before the download is complete.

I'm afraid to connect my phone and try the download because I think it will automatically install the upgrade which I don't want to do until I'm sure I can re-root it and re-install TWRP.

I bit the bullet and gave it a shot. I am happy to report that the firmware upgrade was successful using Kies, I was able to root the device via the Kingo Root app, and was able to re-install TWRP. I am now on firmware M819NUVUAMK7. It is still Android version 4.2.2, and the baseband is also M819NUVUAMK7. The kernel version is dated Fri Nov 22, 2013

I installed superSU and when I ran it, it asked me if I wanted to disable knox (YES OR NO). OF COURSE I DISABLED KNOX!!

I afterward performed a nandroid backup in TWRP (the first order of business).

I am more comfortable now deleting, freezing, uninstalling system apps now because (in the event of a softbrick or bootloop) I can always revert to my nandroid backup or in extreme cases, restart all over again by re-installing the firmware via Kies, re-rooting the device via the kingo root app, and reinstalling TWRP via ODIN.

Not sure what changed from the original firmware (no change log). In any event, the device is snappy and I'm not experiencing any lags.

bnb25

Jan 7, 2011
Warren
I bit the bullet and gave it a shot. I am happy to report that the firmware upgrade was successful using Kies, I was able to root the device via the Kingo Root app, and was able to re-install TWRP. I am now on firmware M819NUVUAMK7. It is still Android version 4.2.2, and the baseband is also M819NUVUAMK7. The kernel version is dated Fri Nov 22, 2013

I installed superSU and when I ran it, it asked me if I wanted to disable knox (YES OR NO). OF COURSE I DISABLED KNOX!!

I am more comfortable now deleting, freezing, uninstalling system apps now because (in the event of a softbrick or bootloop) I can always revert to my nandroid backup or in extreme cases, restart all over again by re-installing the firmware via Kies, re-rooting the device via the kingo root app, and reinstalling TWRP via ODIN.

Not sure what changed from the original firmware (no change log). In any event, the device is snappy and I'm not experiencing any lags.

never mind I got it. I had a brain fart and was doing the process back words. I put it in download mode for the root.

Last edited:

lobox360

Jan 7, 2014
I did and had no problem rooting with kingo. What I cannot find is a way around sim lock without going through metro and that sucks.

CyberChulo

Apr 27, 2011

Almost had a heart attack from this upgrade. My phone was already rooted when I applied the update from Kies. Everything went through fine except when it restarted, I couldn't turn on Wifi at all and I was getting an E in the cell signal. I managed to download the TWRP tar file and Kingo app to root again. I was able to restore my previous backed up image and everything was when I last left it! WHEW!

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
That's strange. I had no problem. wifi worked and I haven't seen E at all (only 4g lte or 4g). My signal appears to be stronger and more stable with this update than with the original firmware (most of the time I have full bars). As mentioned I don't know what changes were made (no change log around) but this is my observation so far.

krazykipa

Jan 15, 2011
Can somebody running MK7 please boot into download mode quickly to check whether this update has a new Knox bootloader?
(Vol - , Home, Power)

Need to know if the following strings are present or not:
KNOX KERNEL LOCK:
KNOX WARRANTY VOID:
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV:

Thanks in advance.

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
[QUOT1.0razykipa;50763526]Can somebody running MK7 please boot into download mode quickly to check whether this update has a new Knox bootloader?
(Vol - , Home, Power)

KNOX KERNEL LOCK:
KNOX WARRANTY VOID:
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV:

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

This string is present on my phone in download mode:
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 3

I have no lines displaying anything about KNOX.

In titanium backup I froze knox 1.0, knox notification manager 1.0, and knox store 1.0.

So it appears that knox is in the rom somewhere but it's had no impact on me. I'm rooted, have twrp installed and have flashed multiple custom roms on my device (both tw and aosp based roms).

Reactions: krazykipa

krazykipa

Jan 15, 2011
Perfect, thanks! Glad you guys got spared from the horrid new Knox bootloaders. There's a small chance that the M819 can be downgraded to the older bootloader to remove Knox entirely, but if the update came with the newest bootloader (I got stuck with it on my i527M) there is no hope at all of downgrading.

raybenzino77

May 27, 2009
Thanks to whoever posted this and the creator of this rom

as far as i know. there isn't a mod for Metro's phone. there are a few custom ROM's you can use that have free tethering built in. This one is the closest to stock. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608110

It works fine on my M819N :good:

I have the sgh-m819n metro pcs model running the mk7 firmware. This was the only rom that worked 100% for me. Im running twrp recovery,super user and free hotspot. Not to mention all the extra cool apps that it comes with. Big props to the developers of this software may your days be blessed with many more hacks.

jlm4241985

Jul 2, 2012
Atlanta
question to everyone....

ok not sure if am in the right area to post this but. I have a metro galaxy mega 6.3 (sgh m819n) successfully rooted with kingo. what im trying to find is how to put a custom recovery like twrp and how to do it like step by step. help would be greatly appreciated. or to point me in the right direction. thanks guys.

jlm4241985

Jul 2, 2012
Atlanta
thanksss

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608110 this is a great rom for our mega(metropcs) imho. now in order to install CWM or TWRP you simply need to download the version thats for meliusltexx which is for the i9205 version of the mega.. These Roms and procedures are compatable with the M819n(metropcs) mega

ok thanks and this will work correct.... also before I add a new rom on the m819n I have another question... I used to get 4LTE every where and now I get only 4G or edge after rooting with stock rom. signal apps dont do crap. is there a way to fix this... I miss my LTE data speeds. if you know how to fix or anything please point me in the right direction thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am rooted with stock rom just looking for a hotspot mod for my sgh m819n been searching and searching

as far as i know. there isn't a mod for Metro's phone. there are a few custom ROM's you can use that have free tethering built in. This one is the closest to stock. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608110

It works fine on my M819N :good:
    thanks one more question how can i tell if my phone is deodex or odex

well easiest way is. if its your stock ROM that came with the phone when you bought it. it is odex.

if you are rooted, you can use root explorer to go into your system/app file and see if it shows odex settings for apps
    [QUOT1.0razykipa;50763526]Can somebody running MK7 please boot into download mode quickly to check whether this update has a new Knox bootloader?
    (Vol - , Home, Power)

KNOX KERNEL LOCK:
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID:
    BOOTLOADER RP SWREV:

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

This string is present on my phone in download mode:
    BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 3

I have no lines displaying anything about KNOX.

In titanium backup I froze knox 1.0, knox notification manager 1.0, and knox store 1.0.

So it appears that knox is in the rom somewhere but it's had no impact on me. I'm rooted, have twrp installed and have flashed multiple custom roms on my device (both tw and aosp based roms).