MOD>Manually Boost Volume for Speaker, Headset and Handset<MOD

Search This thread

sshafranko

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
@sshafranko do you know anything about the mic volume levels? I have increased mine as people seem to say i'm too quite (i talk softly on the phone) but i'm not sure if they are actually working or which ones actuall effect the in call volume as well as speakerphone mic volume. I notice there are two volume levels for some of the mics, an ADC2 and a DEC# volume. what is what there? Thanks!
Ill look at it tonight and get back to you. So basically you would like to increase the mic level while on a call using the normal headset right?

Reactions: elyranon

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Ill look at it tonight and get back to you. So basically you would like to increase the mic level while on a call using the normal headset right?

Yes, while in a call, i want the standard mic level to be higher but only for the the device's mic. Not a bluetooth headset mic or wired headset mic. Thanks a bunch! I have made some edits that i feel are correct but don't really have a standard way of testing it.

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Yes, while in a call, i want the standard mic level to be higher but only for the the device's mic. Not a bluetooth headset mic or wired headset mic. Thanks a bunch! I have made some edits that i feel are correct but don't really have a standard way of testing it.
Gotcha. Why dont you call another phone in your house, put it on speakerphone, and speak into your phone while listening or have someone else speak into your cell while you listen to the other phone before and after your edits?

I know its a pain and not really a tecnical and sure way of measuring your results, but it will work. Thats the way I was hoing to test it for now. Either way ill look at it later tonight.[emoji6]

Reactions: elyranon

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
Guys it seems like it varies a bit phone to phone. On my wifes phone I am able to go to 90 buy it distorts at full volume. So I backed it down to 89 and it is perfect for her. I tested it on 91 on her phone and it actually broke the volume. She lost the volume completely on speakerphone. So im pretty sure that on every phone therre will be a setting that is too high and brakes volume. I would stick to 90 as being the highest than work your way down until no distortion. If 90 is not loud enough than give it a shot on 91 or even 92. It may work for you but like I said 90 was max for my wifes S5. GL
Where can I edit the Bluetooth values I can't find it in the play scenerio.

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Hey troy I think I anwsered you in the other thread, but for others who are looking for the same anwser here from my understanding bluetooth volume cannot be adjusted via mixer. I beleive the bluetooth audio receiver probably sends a signal to the synced device, which dictates the volume value to br used. Im not 100% sure on this but it makes sence in my mind since every other audio scenario is in mixer file except for bluetooth. So inshort you will have to use a third party app like viper to adjust the bluetooth volume unfortunately.

elyranon

Sep 5, 2011
I used root explorer but I could not find mount. So whenever I change the values it will just revert back. So what I did is use lennie's files from this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2674402&page=8

and unzip the file and go to system/etc/mixer_paths and open with wordpad and change the values from there. Save the file and zip both folders back. After power off and go to recovery and flash the zip file. Done. What I found is lennie's values for very loud is 91 which is too much it distorts the hell out of the sound. so what sshafranko suggested 87 is about right. A little bit of distortion when volumes are on max. This is pretty neat thanks sshafranko for showing us this guide.

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
I used root explorer but I could not find mount. So whenever I change the values it will just revert back. So what I did is use lennie's files from this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2674402&page=8

and unzip the file and go to system/etc/mixer_paths and open with wordpad and change the values from there. Save the file and zip both folders back. After power off and go to recovery and flash the zip file. Done. What I found is lennie's values for very loud is 91 which is too much it distorts the hell out of the sound. so what sshafranko suggested 87 is about right. A little bit of distortion when volumes are on max. This is pretty neat thanks sshafranko for showing us this guide.
Ely, before you open mixerpaths.xml with text editor, all you have to do is tick the circle in the pic below. This mounts
edejaquh.jpg
read/write then your changes will stick. This is Root Explorer of course. Others are a little different but same concept.

dave1977nj

Aug 24, 2010
Can someone post the stock volume settings for the:
handset
speaker
headset
dock
speaker-and-headphones
speaker-and-hdmi
speaker-and-proxy
speaker-and-dock

Thank you. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GUIDE TO MANUALLY RAISE VOLUME

Must be rooted and have a file explorer installed. Each step has a corresponding numbered picture.

I found that the speaker, headset and handset volumes were a bit too low for my damaged ears, so I decided to attempt changing it myself and it worked out wonderfully. (Same method I used on my N3) .......................................................................

I did this using Root Explorer, there are many out there you can use such as ES.

1) Navigate to System/etc. Scroll down to mixer_paths.xml. If using Root EX on the top right tick Mount R/W. If you dont do this your changes will not work or take.

2) Hold down mixer_paths.xml and a box with options will appear. Choose Open With. Then choose Text Editor.

3) Once it opens scroll down to the fourth divider line where you will see this:

Play Scenario

Then you will have a bunch of small paragraphs. First one directly under the Play Scenario line is "handset", then "speaker" and finally "headset". There are others like dock, speaker hdmi and so on but I only changed those three.

4) In each of the 3 you want to change the "RX Digital Volume" values. Stock value for the handset is 81. Touch next to the 1 delete it and inplace put a 7. (I found that 89 is the limit on my phone before distortion starts to occur so 88 or 89 is fine also) Next is speaker. Do the same 81 to 87 or whatever you prefer up to 89. And finally headset. For this change both stock "80" values to 87. (Left and Right) Double check all four changes you made closely. If you change the values above 89 there is a chance you may exceed the limit and have issues like no sound for the specific play scenario.

5) Now hit your phone menu button and tick save and exit. This will bring you back to the mixer_paths.xml page, and if you mounted r/w as I stated in step 2 you should see this directly below mixer_paths.xml: mixer_paths.xml.bak. That is a saved copy of your original stock mixer_paths.xml file which you can delete the modded and remove the bak from the name and reboot to revert to stock if an issue occurs such as no sound. Great

6) On top right you should see Mount R/O this time. Tick that and if it doesnt change dont worry it sometimes doesnt, reboot immediately. Once booted up your new values will be implemented and speaker, headset and handset will be much louder.

If you decide to mod the values once again, the saved file with name .bak created will be of your previous setting not stock. It will override the stock saved file. So if you plan on doing more than once to get the best desired volume, after your first ever edit, hold down the file created with .bak in the name and copy it to you extsd for safe keeping. This will prevent you from posting I lost my original file can someone please post it here?
    Your welcome. I guess if it helped someone than its worth it☺

Tweaked N III
    Looks like flashable zips for this mod were already posted by DustinTinsley in the Development thread. My fault I didnt look around before posting this. Mods please delete this thread as it seems to be unneeded. Thank you.

Tweaked N III
    Hey troy I think I anwsered you in the other thread, but for others who are looking for the same anwser here from my understanding bluetooth volume cannot be adjusted via mixer. I beleive the bluetooth audio receiver probably sends a signal to the synced device, which dictates the volume value to br used. Im not 100% sure on this but it makes sence in my mind since every other audio scenario is in mixer file except for bluetooth. So inshort you will have to use a third party app like viper to adjust the bluetooth volume unfortunately.

Worked great for me. I'm rooted but without custom recovery so this was perfect!

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app