assert failed: package_extract_dir("system", "/system")

Search This thread

carm01

Jun 17, 2011
Ohio - land of the boring
Getting:

assert failed: package_extract_dir("system", "/system") when trying to take the 4.4.2 ota.zip

am kinda of at a loss

see attached

STOCK everything.

spent hours on this

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1,252

carm01

Jun 17, 2011
stock OTA or did you download it here?

This was the actual OTA back then, i even tried using stock recovery as shown in the picture in the OP. I usually just take everything back to stock, take the OTA, flash recovery, root, debloat, apply my mods and bada bing.

This last one was a nightmare and i waited til santod had a rooted odex stock for it this time.

Sense 6 should be coming in about 30 days so im wondering if it will be as painful

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
This was the actual OTA back then, i even tried using stock recovery as shown in the picture in the OP. I usually just take everything back to stock, take the OTA, flash recovery, root, debloat, apply my mods and bada bing.

This last one was a nightmare and i waited til santod had a rooted odex stock for it this time.

Sense 6 should be coming in about 30 days so im wondering if it will be as painful

TBH if you have root, there is no need to take the stock OTA. santod does a great job offering the firmware as a zip and then release a stock rom flashable. its equal to taking the OTA without having to get back to stock. it might take a few more steps than an OTA would but its a lot easier.

flash full firmware zip (minus the boot.img)
flash recovery of choice
flash stock rom he offers or any rom re based with the OTA files.
done

it does take a little bit more because you'll need to use a computer and fastboot but you already need this to go back to stock.

but anyways, i have never seen stock recovery not flash an OTA correctly like you've shown above. sorry to hear you're having trouble with it.

carm01

Jun 17, 2011
TBH if you have root, there is no need to take the stock OTA. santod does a great job offering the firmware as a zip and then release a stock rom flashable. its equal to taking the OTA without having to get back to stock. it might take a few more steps than an OTA would but its a lot easier.

flash full firmware zip (minus the boot.img)
flash recovery of choice
flash stock rom he offers or any rom re based with the OTA files.
done

it does take a little bit more because you'll need to use a computer and fastboot but you already need this to go back to stock.

but anyways, i have never seen stock recovery not flash an OTA correctly like you've shown above. sorry to hear you're having trouble with it.

Yea i know he does a super job, unfortunately im not as good, would like to know how to make a stock rom out of the ota ans properly zip it up. not sure how to pull it from the phone.

I like to take it b/c i like to be the first to post my mods for the ota and get them done.

I also like to understand more. I know there are a zillion things out there, but some aint the best as they do not fully explain everything step by step, they skip stuff and make assumptions on your knowledge.

anyways ima shut up now lolz.

Ill prob wait, but i hate waiting.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
A basic rom consists of a adb pull of the /system partition, a pull of the boot.img, and a meta folder which contains install files and scripts.

Do some googling, i have seen more than one thread and youtube video showing the basicics of making a rom. And thats just the basics, a true rom is built from source which is a whole nother ball game. Its not something that can be learned quickly, but more with a lot of study and trial and error.

Reactions: carm01

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A basic rom consists of a adb pull of the /system partition, a pull of the boot.img, and a meta folder which contains install files and scripts.

Do some googling, i have seen more than one thread and youtube video showing the basicics of making a rom. And thats just the basics, a true rom is built from source which is a whole nother ball game. Its not something that can be learned quickly, but more with a lot of study and trial and error.