My findings with the s4 screen

Search This thread

Cristi10

Mar 20, 2014
So as you know the kit kat update brought back the smearing (which was more or less hidden until know) and is the most noticable when you are on the lowest brightness. But also there is a green tint on lowest brightness, most noticeably in videos. Now as you know apps like screen adjuster reduce this problem but what i found is that when activated screen adjuster (15 on contrast in my case) does the following: i was in youtube app to test and in portrait the video didn't had any green tint, while in landscape the tint appeared. And with some other video player (like mx) the tint was gone and the smearing was reduced or even gone. Note that in mx i wasn't using the screen adjuster app. So maybe just maybe there is something in the software that samsung messed up. If a dev can look into this maybe we can figure out something.

Thanks in advance and i apologise if these things were known and i wasted your time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: berezker

Abby Oddie

Aug 13, 2014
Been using Samsung phones aswell as others for years and never had a single fault. They all latest over a year before being sold on with zero issues. I've had an S4 since launch and it's still working perfectly. As far as reliability and build-quality goes Samsung is the best in the business, and by build quality I mean how well its assembled and reliability NOT the material the case is made of which many of you care so much about.

Chea2k

Dec 13, 2013
So as you know the kit kat update brought back the smearing (which was more or less hidden until know) and is the most noticable when you are on the lowest brightness. But also there is a green tint on lowest brightness, most noticeably in videos. Now as you know apps like screen adjuster reduce this problem but what i found is that when activated screen adjuster (15 on contrast in my case) does the following: i was in youtube app to test and in portrait the video didn't had any green tint, while in landscape the tint appeared. And with some other video player (like mx) the tint was gone and the smearing was reduced or even gone. Note that in mx i wasn't using the screen adjuster app. So maybe just maybe there is something in the software that samsung messed up. If a dev can look into this maybe we can figure out something.

Thanks in advance and i apologise if these things were known and i wasted your time.

I can't say that I've had any problems with my s4 since upgrading to kit kat

memoryeffect

Mar 17, 2013
Since the s4 true black pixels get completely turned off, the smearing you see are those pixels turning on again. It's a hardware thing.

jimmy2x2x

Oct 20, 2010
Can't say I've noticed any difference. Can you elaborate at all?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jimmy2x2x

Oct 20, 2010
I see what you mean now, so is this a hardware limitation or somehow linked to the software (os version)

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
I see what you mean now, so is this a hardware limitation or somehow linked to the software (os version)

Hardware limitation of OLED screens. Pixels take some time to go from completely off (black) to a lighter color such as blue or gray resulting in that weird trailing. AFAIK, the older version of the software didn't use pure black (pixel off) in the menu but a slightly lighter shade of black (so that the pixel would not be completely off). I still noticed it in some moving scenes in movies though when pure black was used.

For the green tint I don't know, I remember when I switched from LCD on my Sony phone to the S4 I noticed it had tinted whites and weirdly saturated colors but now I'm used to it and I don't notice it anymore and I actually kinda like the saturated colors even though they aren't very realistic.

XERW

Mar 9, 2014
Denpasar
xerw.deviantart.com
Haven't seen one since switching from my bloody ****ty Galaxy W I8150 which had a really bad white smearing effect (v3 HW rev). Using the exynos version with MFD: 2013:12:24 (christmas eve baby!)

There MIGHT be differences with screens manufactured at different time/version/revision but that's just an uneducated guess.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.