In car battery charging

Search This thread

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester
I have travelled to devon on Saturday and used Google maps navigation which is simply superb as u could see the traffic jams in advance (believe me there were plenty of them) I had my phone charger charging my desire but the battery drained still any idea why surely the charger should charge it or keep the power at the same level ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester
Anyone surely someone must know why the car charger hasn't enough power to charge the phone when running navigation and the normal phone functions

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
You need a charger that outputs at least 1000mA. Most in-car chargers only output 500mA, and so the phone will discharge quicker than the charger can charge it.

Regards,

Dave

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester
Any suggestions which are the best chargers ? Does anyone know what the new HTC dock will incorporate ?

mercianary

May 30, 2010
Brum
Get a cheap USB cable extender, cut it in half and short the middle 2 pins. Don't remember what colours they are. Look on Wikipedia.

I had same problem. Not anymore. Charges properly when I plug in through the custom cable.

Tim_ZA

Nov 28, 2006
This is a common problem.

It bugged me sufficiently that I investigated it in detail.

The Desire, and presumably some (all?) other HTC phones, employ relatively complex charging circuitry.

When you plug a USB cable into the phone, the phone does at least two different checks to determine what type of power source you have just connected.

If you have plugged in a mains powered official HTC charger, which has a rated output of 1A, then the phone knows that it is safe to draw a maximum of 1A from that charger.

The phone will then draw enough current to power itself and, on top of that, charge the battery at the same time.

This current will typically be in the region of 800mA (0.8A) to 900mA (0.9A).

Under these conditions there is enough current to power all the functions of the phone, including WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS, as well as the usual GSM radio and the phone's other functions, as well as being able to charge the battery.

However, if the phone believes that it is connected to a power source with a lower rating such as a standard USB port, then it will limit the maximum current that it draws from that power source to between 400mA (0.4A) and 500mA (0.5A) as this is the maximum officially provided by a USB port.

In other words, the phone is intelligent enough not to overload a standard USB port but, when more power is available, it is able to use it.

The mechanism that HTC uses to detect a power supply capable of supplying 1A, as opposed to a USB port, is very simple indeed.

When the phone detects that an external power source has been connected, it checks to see if the two data lines of the USB connector on the bottom of the phone have been short-circuited.

If they have been short-circuited, the phone takes this to mean that a suitable power source has been connected providing a current of at least 1A.

If the data lines are not short-circuited, the phone assumes that the power is coming from a USB port or other device not capable of providing more than 500mA.

In practice, the way this has been implemented is that within the official mains powered HTC charger, the two data pins of the USB connector are shorted together.

As soon as you connect this charger to the Desire, the phone detects the short-circuit and knows that it is connected to a charger capable of supplying 1A.

This particular trick seems to be something unique to HTC rather than being a universal standard, although this is a bit of a guess on my part based on having looked at only a few other chargers.

What this means is that if you have a car charger that is rated at 1A or higher, your HTC Desire will still only draw a maximum of 500mA from this charger.

This problem is easily rectified by opening up the charger and soldering together the two centre pens of the USB connector so that the phone sees this short-circuit and realises that it can safely draw I higher current from the charger.

Unless you know what you are doing and fully understand what I have explained above, then please don't go fiddling around with your charger.

I have carried out this modification myself on a couple of non-HTC mains-powered chargers and a couple of 12V car chargers with 100% success.

I have, however, found that some 12V chargers, even though they are rated at 1A or even 1.5A do not result in the Desire drawing the expected current.

What I found was that the phone would draw only about 250mA and then, after I had shorted the data terminals within the charger, the phone would draw about 450mA but not the 850mA or so that I had expected.

I have yet to determine with certainty why this is but it appears that as the phone begins to draw current from the charger it is able to detect if there is even a relatively small dip in the voltage coming from the charger and, if so, the phone backs off on the amount of current that it draws.

I will be doing a few more tests in my electronics lab to try and get to the bottom of this and provide a more detailed analysis and, hopefully, a useful solution.

In the meantime though, I have at least solved the problem that I was having and, based on numerous forum posts, the same problem that many other people have been having with car chargers not effectively charging the Desire.

Tim

Tim_ZA

Nov 28, 2006
Get a cheap USB cable extender, cut it in half and short the middle 2 pins. Don't remember what colours they are. Look on Wikipedia.

I had same problem. Not anymore. Charges properly when I plug in through the custom cable.
Snap!

I didn't see your post before making mine (above) but my experimentation agrees fully with what you've said.

You can do it the way you've described, by modifying a cable, or you can do it inside the charger itself.

Just make sure that the cable going to the phone has all four USB wires in it. Some of them only have the two power wires, so the phone will never detect the short circuited data lines.

Tim

obones

Jun 8, 2010
If you do not want to open your car charger, you can always create a male to female adapter that shots D+ and D- on the female side like the one in the attached picture
Obviously, the charger needs to be able to provide the 1Amps that are needed. If not, it will at best shutdown in protection mode, at worst fry completely with a great chance of fire...

Attachments

• usb_charger_force.jpg
    usb_charger_force.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 319

Narco77

Jul 9, 2008
Paris
Interesting stuff...

I bought an official HTC car charger and noticed that the included usb cable, when plugged into a pc, does not allow data transfer, only charging.

Can anyone explain that ? Why would there be a difference in the wiring ?

paprkut

Apr 24, 2010
They want you to buy an official USB cable I guess ? Considering any microusb cable works I'm surprised they bother

obones

Jun 8, 2010
Maybe because they just put the two VCC and GND wires in there, thus saving on the cabling cost.

_Crusoe_

May 27, 2008
London
Ok how about this then......

I have a USB port I'm my car (to plug in music on a dongle I presume) if I use the USB lead from my charger supplied with the phone (which also works as a data cable) I get a the charging status icon on the battery bar.

So......
Is my phone charging at 1 amp on the car, and at home or am I getting 0.5 on both or something else?

KRiZ-R

Feb 27, 2008
Rotterdam
Ok how about this then......

I have a USB port I'm my car (to plug in music on a dongle I presume) if I use the USB lead from my charger supplied with the phone (which also works as a data cable) I get a the charging status icon on the battery bar.

So......
Is my phone charging at 1 amp on the car, and at home or am I getting 0.5 on both or something else?

If you check your battery stats by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and look at battery info, then you can see if it is charged by USB (max 500 mA) or at AC (more then 500mA)

jwarbutron

Feb 4, 2006
thanks a lot for the explanation. I went for an uprated USB car charger but was still using normal cables to plug into it and the phone wasnt keeping up when bluetooth and GPS was on and was flat by the end of a long journey. Have tried the mod and phone is showing as plugged into AC so hopefully this is going to sort my issues.

Bingo Accent

Nov 16, 2007
So am I right in saying that, unless you get one which has been adapted as described above, there is no real difference between one in-car charger and another - none of them will be up to the job of keeping the phone full of jiuce whilst running GPS over a long journey.

Was thinking of shelling out for a Brodit kit, but at £50+, I'll stick with a cheap one.

crazy4ker

May 31, 2010
Interesting stuff...

I bought an official HTC car charger and noticed that the included usb cable, when plugged into a pc, does not allow data transfer, only charging.

Can anyone explain that ? Why would there be a difference in the wiring ?

I got the offical charger and the usb cable is fine for data transfer.

obones

Jun 8, 2010
So am I right in saying that, unless you get one which has been adapted as described above, there is no real difference between one in-car charger and another - none of them will be up to the job of keeping the phone full of jiuce whilst running GPS over a long journey.
Not really.
For the "mod" to work, your charger must be able to source at least 1000mA which most can't anyway.
So you first have to find a charger that does and then, if it's not already the case, short the D+ and D- cables together.
Note that this can be done by disassembling the charger (not being sure of being able to put it back together), by using conductive glue on the USB plug itself (a bit invasive) or by using an adapter like the one I shown in my previous message (but you need to do it yourself or have someone do it for you)