Football Manager Handheld 2012 Android is here !!

Search This thread

Red_Kop

May 18, 2011
About to finish my 1st season with Liverpool.

Might win the league, might not.

But agree, game is easy.

It's easy to buy players as well. Unrealistic targets.

But worse, I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is having an affect on the game. It just doesn't feel like it is. Like in the full version, you can tweak everything and feel like you are making a difference...this is just kind of well, random. I change tactics, I still win, I change player...still win, change training...still win.

I don't know, it's fine like...I really don't know what I expected. Guess I expected something a little more in depth. Which, is silly of me, I know.

Playing with Barcelona is just too easy. The fun of the game lies in picking some bunch of losers like Lleida/Dag&Red/Maritimo and lead then somewhere better off.

XPlay-Swype

So agree! I'm fc Halifax in this version. Every time pc FM I pick a non league team and get them to the premier league. So much satisfaction in that.

Sent from my R800i using XDA

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
I agree mostly with Red Kop. You don't get any feeling that what you do counts for anything, and you get no valuable feedback either. You can't see if you're having trouble in the back or if you need a winger. All the options you have at your disposal are fairly hard to access and they seem to have zero influence in the game.

XPlay-Swype

Marc Vaughan

Apr 9, 2012
the UI is very unintuitive (I still haven't been able to sell a player!), and it seems that Sports Interactive didn't speak with other Sega divisions because somehow the memo that Android has a Back key was ignored. The back key exits the game, though it's kept in memory if you go to Recent apps: essentially, the back and the home key do the same in the game. There are lots of in-app back keys which are not consistent with Android and its flow.
It was a deliberate decision at the time as a lot of other games were using the back button to back out of the application (as you mention it'll be kept in memory).

I've just finished changing this so it emulates the 'back' button in-game because a few people have requested it - this will be present in the first update to the game, probably in a few weeks time.

I'm posting progress details of the first update - ie. whats in it and what plans are afoot on the sigames.com forums if anyone is interested.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

The game doesn't keep the rosters properly. That means that you save the game playing with one team with players A, B, C... And then you load the game again and your players are X, Y, Z, in different positions and stuff. That means that the game is basically unplayable right now.

I've had a couple of reports of this - it'll be tracked down and fixed asap, I think its probably to do with custom formations and them not being saved if you don't save them yourself and then 'hard exit' the application.

If you save the tactic down yourself in game before exit they should be retained in the meantime.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

But worse, I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is having an affect on the game. It just doesn't feel like it is. Like in the full version, you can tweak everything and feel like you are making a difference...this is just kind of well, random. I change tactics, I still win, I change player...still win, change training...still win.

I don't know, it's fine like...I really don't know what I expected. Guess I expected something a little more in depth. Which, is silly of me, I know.

With analysing the matches - I'd suggest using the stats in tandem with the 2d, there is a lot of information available to work out why things are going right (or wrong) ... but the 2d clips are far faster than on the PC, this is intentional to keep the game nipping along at a quick speed.

Quick aside - FMH is NOT intended to be a clone of FM PC/Mac at all and is designed to be a totally different beast, a bit faster and less 'intense' to play than the PC game - more akin to our earlier games ..... it doesn't have the huge depth that the PC game has, but unlike the PC game it is playable and fun if you have say just 15 minutes time available while commuting to work or whatever.

Obviously as a person who helped design/create the game I'm kinda biased on this - but I thought I'd mention it anyway :D

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Game won't even start up on my Verizon Play (2.3.3)

Says I have 0 MB free... which I obviously have much more than that...

If you have any problems with installing the game (or really anything tbh) then please feel free to email me at marc.vaughan@sigames.com and chances are I'll be able to get things up and running for you.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

As expected, it has a black border around my Galaxy Nexus, I hope they sort this out soon, but otherwise I'm very excited they have recognised Android and brought this over!

Just to let you know - we're working on an additional skin for the larger screened devices for release during the update cycle, please bear with us - we'll make it available as soon as possible.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
If you have any problems with installing the game (or really anything tbh) then please feel free to email me at marc.vaughan@sigames.com and chances are I'll be able to get things up and running for you.

Thanks for the reply!

I did try to register for your forums at http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/257-Android-Bugs-Forum , but the verification email didn't get sent until a few days later, after I figured out my problem.

What was happening was that I had about 270MB free on my SD card. When I freed up more space, to over 300MB free I think, then it installed just fine.

Reactions: Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan

Apr 9, 2012
Isn't it kind of late in the season? I wonder how they will update it. Still, great catch. This could suck many hours from my tablet.

Its later than I'd have liked tbh, but bear in mind this version is something I had to implement a prototype for in my own time in order to prove its 'viability' ... as such its release isn't on a perfect timeline for this year (sorry about that but I've a wife and kids also clamoring for my free time, what little there is of it ;) ).

The plan is to sync things up so we'll release future versions at roughly the same time of our other FMH products (ie. earlier in the season) - this does of course presume that this version is successful enough that its decided to continue releasing on Android, if not well apart from anything else I'll feel a right wally for investing huge amounts of my own time into it ;)

Reactions: tommoose

tommoose

Nov 15, 2010
Consett
Its true to life in one respect, newcastle go from top 8 to bottom of the table in no time. I'd love to see the in match team talks if its somethin that could be implemented. I enjoy playing this on the phone, its the only way I get to play because I cant get the full game to run on a netbook

Tom

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Marc Vaughan

Apr 9, 2012
Its true to life in one respect, newcastle go from top 8 to bottom of the table in no time. I'd love to see the in match team talks if its somethin that could be implemented. I enjoy playing this on the phone, its the only way I get to play because I cant get the full game to run on a netbook

I've actually played a little with Newcastle during testing - I found that they've a really decent side WHEN their players are all fit, however lose one or more of the key squad members and it gets a lot more challenging ...

I also personally think that it was harder once Barton left the side, but thats probably partially down to the physical (some might say thuggish ;) ) tactics I generally employ :)

PS - Teamtalks might go in one day, but its not something I'm going to rush into at all, ie. not during an update.

Reactions: tommoose

tommoose

Nov 15, 2010
Consett
I've actually played a little with Newcastle during testing - I found that they've a really decent side WHEN their players are all fit, however lose one or more of the key squad members and it gets a lot more challenging ...

I also personally think that it was harder once Barton left the side, but thats probably partially down to the physical (some might say thuggish ;) ) tactics I generally employ :)

they have a good team but they have a habit of doing my head in. they'll take the lead against man utd for example, they might even go 2 up but then they'll get slaughtered 5-2 or in another match, 5-1 at home to bloody norwich of all teams. bloody farm yakkin, tractor toting pieces of s*** :D

KeiranFTW

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland

Tom

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

You played as Newcastle? I'm a Sunderland fan! Make love not war! Or was it peace...

Sent from my Dark R800i using Tapatalk 2

KeiranFTW

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
awww but keiraaaaaaaan

** stands in the corner kicking heels and looking sorrowful lol

toon toon

Right, I know how to win. I'm adapting my kernel:
Sets your boot screen to sunderland badge
Screams oh oh oh oh oh o'neil on boot and on notification
Is called SunderlandKernel
Has geolocation, if you are at the SDA it sets your CPU Max to 61MHz

:D:D
Of course, I'm joking :D

Sent from my Dark R800i using Tapatalk 2

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Question and a longshot.. I grew up with the EARLY "Bundesliga Manager 93" (In USA It was called "The Manager" http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/656/Manager,+The.html) I loved this game. Now it seems thats what Football manager grew into, I just never got around to trying it.. orig one was complex alone. Just wondering, if you did play this version.. how does it stack up to this android one? Is it still the same thing or is it really more complex now? Thanks.

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
Given the recent words of SI's representatives, in which they decried Android for the piracy existent in it, this project could be axed in any minute. And then they'll name sure I never buy anything with Sports Interactive in it. Sorry, Marc, but if SI uses piracy as an excuse to discontinue FMHA instead of adding value to justify the price tag of the game, they'll lose a customer for good.

XPlay-Swype

Marc Vaughan

Apr 9, 2012
Given the recent words of SI's representatives, in which they decried Android for the piracy existent in it, this project could be axed in any minute. And then they'll name sure I never buy anything with Sports Interactive in it. Sorry, Marc, but if SI uses piracy as an excuse to discontinue FMHA instead of adding value to justify the price tag of the game, they'll lose a customer for good.

Will the game spawn a series of releases on Android; I've no idea tbh - it'll depend purely on the sales on the platform against the costs of creating it I'd expect and thats not something I get into as a humble developer (there are people who wear suits and worry abut that sort of thing ;) ), I'm not a shouter or a screamer myself - I try and create the best games I can and release them on as many platforms as possible ... simple as that.

I've done my best to immerse myself in whatever platform I develop upon, I always find that is vital in order to understand the best way to implement a game upon it.

With Android I use it every day (my Phones a Galaxy S2) and I'm quite proud of the game we've released upon it, early next month the first of several updates to the game will be available - this will further improve the product and add new HD skins allowing some devices currently running the game in a 'window' to appreciate it full-screen.

With regards to piracy, tbh I don't really want to discuss it - in the same way that my sports-sims will never discuss playings taking steroids, yes it happens ... does it help things, not at all - but I personally would prefer to focus on the positives and get on with life rather than worry about the negatives.

As such I'd like to thank everyone who's purchased the game and given me feedback on how to improve it - its very much appreciated :D

PS - In case anyones interested in the forthcoming update, heres the current 'in progress' information about it:

#3.4a - First Android Update
Added Battery level warning indicator (triggers when battery falls below 10% charge)
Tuning of player movement from free-transfer
Fixed rare pass count wrap display issue if someone did over 128 passes in a match
Allow users to over-ride inefficient disk space warning
Battery life optimizations
Improve alignment of text on dialog box (HD Skin)
Add warning if app is run on a device with inadequate resolution
Welsh Manager Performance Award Fix
Port Vale Point deduction
Fix rare issue in European comps if a minor club wins major competition
Fix for Vans Trophy issue if a conference club qualifies for Europe
Minor text fixes (grammar and translations)
Improve the manner in which players react to bankruptcy
Added apostrophe to keyboard
Fix crash if you slide out physical keyboard while scout search is happening
Improve accuracy of required storage space calculation
Fix very rare corruption of player history in long term saves
Allow users to ignore space error and force an installation
(New Skin details are not noted as its not fully completed at present and things only make the 'list' once they're complete)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the UI is very unintuitive (I still haven't been able to sell a player!), and it seems that Sports Interactive didn't speak with other Sega divisions because somehow the memo that Android has a Back key was ignored. The back key exits the game, though it's kept in memory if you go to Recent apps: essentially, the back and the home key do the same in the game. There are lots of in-app back keys which are not consistent with Android and its flow.
    It was a deliberate decision at the time as a lot of other games were using the back button to back out of the application (as you mention it'll be kept in memory).

I've just finished changing this so it emulates the 'back' button in-game because a few people have requested it - this will be present in the first update to the game, probably in a few weeks time.

I'm posting progress details of the first update - ie. whats in it and what plans are afoot on the sigames.com forums if anyone is interested.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

The game doesn't keep the rosters properly. That means that you save the game playing with one team with players A, B, C... And then you load the game again and your players are X, Y, Z, in different positions and stuff. That means that the game is basically unplayable right now.

I've had a couple of reports of this - it'll be tracked down and fixed asap, I think its probably to do with custom formations and them not being saved if you don't save them yourself and then 'hard exit' the application.

If you save the tactic down yourself in game before exit they should be retained in the meantime.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

With analysing the matches - I'd suggest using the stats in tandem with the 2d, there is a lot of information available to work out why things are going right (or wrong) ... but the 2d clips are far faster than on the PC, this is intentional to keep the game nipping along at a quick speed.

Quick aside - FMH is NOT intended to be a clone of FM PC/Mac at all and is designed to be a totally different beast, a bit faster and less 'intense' to play than the PC game - more akin to our earlier games ..... it doesn't have the huge depth that the PC game has, but unlike the PC game it is playable and fun if you have say just 15 minutes time available while commuting to work or whatever.

Obviously as a person who helped design/create the game I'm kinda biased on this - but I thought I'd mention it anyway :D

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Game won't even start up on my Verizon Play (2.3.3)

Says I have 0 MB free... which I obviously have much more than that...

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

As expected, it has a black border around my Galaxy Nexus, I hope they sort this out soon, but otherwise I'm very excited they have recognised Android and brought this over!

Just to let you know - we're working on an additional skin for the larger screened devices for release during the update cycle, please bear with us - we'll make it available as soon as possible.

XPlay-Swype
    I disagree. What about people who delete it and have to download it again? What about people who have multiple devices and install it on each one?
    That's not to say the game was not heavily pirated. It more than likely was but I don't think correlating the data is as easy as you say.
    The GooglePlay store actually tracks installations and de-installations on devices when they're done so this is taken into account (if you think about it the store needs to do this as it needs the information for refunds and suchlike).

There may well be some amount of inaccuracy despite peoples best efforts - but I believe the figures are more accurate than most in their assessment of things for the reasons I've given.

In fact, why didn't they implement some check on the remote server to make sure the game was licenced? Plenty of other games do this with varying degrees of success.
    It is indeed possible to do this I'd imagine, however I've played a fair few games which require this on android and often they prevent your playing if you're 'offline' and can't perform such validation - as such I'd prefer not to take this approach as it might preclude people enjoying my game when flying or travelling on the tube etc.

Its entirely possible that some of my time next development cycle will be taken up with writing copy-protection routines for the game rather than (as I'd prefer) simply further improving the product ... as I've indicated my hope is that enough people will enjoy and purchase the game to make all this a moot point.
    You should speak with some scientists, if you can spend millions of hours a day. You'll make millions! ;)
    Cool. Tho I think change the title of the thread to Football Manager =p I was thinking FM radio ;)

Ill check this out when it launches.