Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Search This thread

alienundies

Apr 7, 2011
texarkana
Just as a reference. I USE At&t VV and tether through a custom rom and also used Foxfi before on stock rom. Have yet to receive the tethering message. I don't use it for downloading gbs of data though but have been tethered for 5 hours non stop.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon

I use Foxfi and I have never recieved a warning. But the amount of usage differs each month on when they throttle me back. sometimes 2gb sometimes 5gb. I give up. I just use it until it goes slow.

Mad383Max

Dec 20, 2009
What it is; is that I was told by an AT&T mgr. That if you use it but don't use it to do crazy things like downloading a movie or any type of large files. You'll b fine, that's probably why you haven't got any notice. But soon as someone goes crazy and uses a bunch of data, while tethering and AT&T notices it. Then they will send out a msg.
Kinda like when I went over board and used my phone to play Xbox live.:screwy: Bad bad move, next day text msg came. We're going to sign you up for a tethering plan if you continue tethering.:mad::mad: so I stopped using it for awhile!!

So if we use it wisely, then I think they'll forget about us all together. Lol
Just my 2¢:cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

That is my theory also. My post was more in regards to the post about visual voice mail and tethering as a trigger for the message.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
I`ve done about 55GB so far this month, On LTE im NOT throttled but HSPA+ I am but I just change my apn to wap.cingular and bam HSPA+ unthrottled

Ok. Think you took what I wrote wrong. But what your saying to us is, you used 55 gigs of data and wasn't throttled:what:. But when your on hspa+ you get throttled. Kinda strange bro, don't c it, don't understand it either! :confused:

your statement has contradictions in it.

++++1 :thumbup:

I can't imagine why you would be throttled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Exactly 55 gigs:eek:. Is that from tethering?? Because we have been on the topic of tethering for awhile now! Come on what are you doing to use that much?? Cuz it can't b just from streaming. I'm not sure??

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
25GB is from Tethering the rest is from my phone...

What is there NOT to understand.....???

LTE I`m not throttled, sometimes It is And I just restart my phone and its back! Greensboro NC I was throttled on LTE, But Raleigh, Wilmington nc I was NOT throttled and same for Greenville SC. HSPA+ I`m ALWAYS throttled after 5GB BUT I always use the wap.cingular APN and I`m not longer throttled.

apallohadas

Sep 4, 2010
What are you tethering? An Xbox or computer?

I ask because that's literally a massive amount of usage unless you're tethering a multimedia server through your phone.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.

LTE I`m not throttled, sometimes It is And I just restart my phone and its back! Greensboro NC I was throttled on LTE, But Raleigh, Wilmington nc I was NOT throttled and same for Greenville SC. HSPA+ I`m ALWAYS throttled after 5GB BUT I always use the wap.cingular APN and I`m not longer throttled.

And your not on a tethering plan at all? And you're on AT&T service right..
If that's truly the case then, hell yeah enjoy it bro. I'm thinking it's because your on a international NOTE 2. And that's why they can't catch it. Interesting, what, wap.Cingular apn setting you referring to. Can you post a screen shot of it. Tnx :)

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
And your not on a tethering plan at all? And you're on AT&T service right..
If that's truly the case then, hell yeah enjoy it bro. I'm thinking it's because your on a international NOTE 2. And that's why they can't catch it. Interesting, what, wap.Cingular apn setting you referring to. Can you post a screen shot of it. Tnx :)

NOPE AT&T Phone, Don`t have the international one anymore, I`ve always tethered since I`ve had AT&T in 2011 and mostly been on AT&T phones.

And to the person Above, I USE A LOT OF DATA! Only PC`s. I ONLY tether really if I`m traveling which is rare been been a couple 1000 miles this month. But usually I only tether at one Location and I`m there 3 days a week cause the other Option is using there Satilite internet and THATS not happening lol, so I have 2 computers and a phone usually connected to my tether and the speeds are only about 3-4 megs on HSPA+ service is horrible no LTE in my area. But when I`m at home I hardly use Tether unless my internet goes out as I have a 25meg connection at home.

Also a LOT of the data this month is from YouTube, Within an hour in the car it used about 2GB in JUST Youtube Videos from my Friend using to for music hooked to my radio.

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
Exactly 55 gigs:eek:. Is that from tethering?? Because we have been on the topic of tethering for awhile now! Come on what are you doing to use that much?? Cuz it can't b just from streaming. I'm not sure??

Just FYI, -I- can hit at least 150GB in a month if I have it constantly streaming and downloading/uploading. More now that I figured out how to get around the throttle.

But, he did confirm that he does tether once in a while. I had just begun to mainly because our brilliant IT guy at work locked up wifi for a few weeks after getting rid of the WAP that would randomly go out, forcing us to find other means to get on the internet with our non-smartphone devices. Now that wifi isn't locked anymore, I find no real reason to tether unless it's an emergency.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
NOPE AT&T Phone, Don`t have the international one anymore, I`ve always tethered since I`ve had AT&T in 2011 and mostly been on AT&T phones.

And to the person Above, I USE A LOT OF DATA! Only PC`s. I ONLY tether really if I`m traveling which is rare been been a couple 1000 miles this month. But usually I only tether at one Location and I`m there 3 days a week cause the other Option is using there Satilite internet and THATS not happening lol, so I have 2 computers and a phone usually connected to my tether and the speeds are only about 3-4 megs on HSPA+ service is horrible no LTE in my area. But when I`m at home I hardly use Tether unless my internet goes out as I have a 25meg connection at home.

Also a LOT of the data this month is from YouTube, Within an hour in the car it used about 2GB in JUST Youtube Videos from my Friend using to for music hooked to my radio.

Ok got ya, yeah that can boost up the data usage.

Just FYI, -I- can hit at least 150GB in a month if I have it constantly streaming and downloading/uploading. More now that I figured out how to get around the throttle.

But, he did confirm that he does tether once in a while. I had just begun to mainly because our brilliant IT guy at work locked up wifi for a few weeks after getting rid of the WAP that would randomly go out, forcing us to find other means to get on the internet with our non-smartphone devices. Now that wifi isn't locked anymore, I find no real reason to tether unless it's an emergency.

+1 on the emergency tethering!

Oh I know you hit the 150 gig. I remember you posting that awhile back. I tether every now and then. Because everywhere I go there's WiFi. But when I'm on the road I'll use it. But don't think I ever got that hi b4! :eek: lol

privatewarrior1

Nov 29, 2011
What do you mean? Can you tell us what contradictions you think you see in hyelton's statement?

Sure. :cowboy:

He wrote:
I`ve done about 55GB so far this month, On LTE im NOT throttled but HSPA+ I am but I just change my apn to wap.cingular and bam HSPA+ unthrottled

Contradiction 1. HSPA+ = wap.cingular he said he is throttled on H+
Contradiction 2. he said once he is throttled on H+ he changes to H+ and bam (understood as no more throttle)
Contradiction 3. everyone knows that LTE is what is throttled, so this is a general contradiction. It contradicts every known truthful statement.

In all truthfulness, I am just effing with you guys...I am not anal like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bajanman

flyup

Feb 20, 2013
Is there a reliable way to tether LTE without fear of the data gastapo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
+1 on the emergency tethering!

Oh I know you hit the 150 gig. I remember you posting that awhile back. I tether every now and then. Because everywhere I go there's WiFi. But when I'm on the road I'll use it. But don't think I ever got that hi b4! :eek: lol

Sorry. I meant that I don't need to be tethered to use up 150+GB data in a month. I've hit 150GB before I even started tethering.

Is there a reliable way to tether LTE without fear of the data gastapo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

If we knew how, we'd probably be taking advantage of it.

privatewarrior1

Nov 29, 2011

somehow I missed this post.
so which apn do you use for hspa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
    But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
    This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)
    Try Phone. I'm hitting 20-40mbps during peak hours. (Late night.)

I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

OK I'm a rookie with all this but I'm trying to understand. Are you saying there is a way around getting slowed down??

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.
    You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

Can you post a screen shot(s) showing the APN you created?

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.