Counterfeit Samsung Batteries?

Search This thread

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010
I recently purchased a couple of "Samsung" batteries from eBay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390461705094&ssPageName=ADME:L:eek:U:CA:3160

They came packaged only in thin plastic sleeves. These seemed to have a tighter fit than the one that came with the phone and the labels look different. The model number is different. I assume these are for the international version of the phone. So I could believe the difference in labels is due to this and maybe a difference in thickness of the label would account for the different fit. I don't have a second device to test if the NFC antenna works.

But what made me think these are counterfeit immediately was that on the front of the label both have identical serial numbers. Still, I wanted to hope maybe this could be legit and these serial numbers are not unique but are really lot numbers.

Just now, I scanned the QR codes on the same label.
The one on the original battery reads: GH43-03702A+EB-L1G6LLA
I'm not sure what most of the digits mean, but the last part, "EB-L1G6LLA" is the model number.
The batteries I got from eBay have a QR code that reads: 12345678

Another sign is that the + and - symbols don't appear to align perfectly to the contacts the way the original does. I read this is one of the signs of a counterfeit.

I've attached photos of the battery below. The original one is always on the far left.

Is my assessment correct? Is there any chance these are actually real?

They were only $10 a piece. It's possible, whatever they are they're perfectly adequate batteries. But the fact that they're being sold as counterfeits rather than 3rd party batteries makes me very wary about putting these in my phone. I don't trust counterfeiters to care much about quality control or even putting in functional charging circuitry.

I'd also be grateful for any advice on how to deal with this. Should I report to eBay and/or Paypal or maybe Canada Post (as these are supposedly shipped from Canada there may be Federal Postal Fraud laws that apply).

Finally, any good place to buy genuine Samsung batteries at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC06597.jpg
    DSC06597.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 6,135
  • DSC06598.jpg
    DSC06598.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 5,485
  • DSC06600.jpg
    DSC06600.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 5,104
  • DSC06605.jpg
    DSC06605.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 3,993

rlatjs17

Aug 16, 2012
New Jersey
1st picture. Under the s/n number the "Fakes" have a date which i have never seen on OEM samsung batteries sold. 2nd picture the borders for the black box are not even straight, box size is wrong, and font is different. 3rd picture its missing the water mark thingy. Definitely fakes. I myself am like you. If they made counterfeits they wouldn't care about the quality of the battery so I would be hesitant on putting it in my phone.

m20120

Oct 31, 2008
Northern VA
I have one of these fakes as well. I bought it from an individual (not a store) on Ebay that claimed that it was a new OEM battery. I have been using the battery and it seems to work ok, although I have not been able to test the NFC capability yet.

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I've used "counterfeit" batteries in a couple of other phones I've owned. I only had a problem with one out of the four batteries, and that one wouldn't hold a charge for more than 5 hours on standby. Other than that battery, they've worked fine for me. I only paid around $5 for the junk battery, since it came in a two-pack for $10, which included a charger.

You get what you pay for. Verizon has official OEM batteries for sale for about $30 each. You probably won't find a legit battery for much less than that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
1st picture. Under the s/n number the "Fakes" have a date which i have never seen on OEM samsung batteries sold. 2nd picture the borders for the black box are not even straight, box size is wrong, and font is different. 3rd picture its missing the water mark thingy. Definitely fakes. I myself am like you. If they made counterfeits they wouldn't care about the quality of the battery so I would be hesitant on putting it in my phone.

I think most of the information you have provided are incorrect, some batteries does have dates, others don't, and not all samsung batteries have the waterproof sticker.
the font and the uneven line will depends on the country of manufacture.

I've seen all these and had some, all straight out of the box from a unit from a local authorised store.

m20120

Oct 31, 2008
Northern VA
I do not have a problem with a battery that is not manufactured/endorsed by the manufacturer of my phone, as long as the batteries are represented that way. I have used 3rd party batteries in my Evo 4G and they completely met my expectations. I would not call those counterfeit batteries.

If a battery is being presented as an OEM Samsung battery I expect it do be exactly that. When I bought my battery I probably paid a few $ more than I would have for a 3rd party battery because I thought I was buying the real OEM battery. After I received the battery I suspected that he battery was not truly an OEM battery. I noticed the same things that the OP noted. I also had a feeling (not proven) that the battery life is not quite to the level of my original battery. I looked at the battery after seeing this post and mine is identical to the fakes in the OP (down to the date and the serial number).

Attachments

• DSCN0963.jpg
    DSCN0963.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,069
Last edited:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I do not have a problem with a battery that is not manufactured/endorsed by the manufacturer of my phone, as long as the batteries are represented that way. I have used 3rd party batteries in my Evo 4G and they completely met my expectations. I would not call those counterfeit batteries.

If a battery is being presented as an OEM Samsung battery I expect it do be exactly that. When I bought my battery I probably paid a few $ more than I would have for a 3rd party battery because I thought I was buying the real OEM battery. After I received the battery I suspected that he battery was not truly an OEM battery. I noticed the same things that the OP noted. I also had a feeling (not proven) that the battery life is not quite to the level of my original battery. I looked at the battery after seeing this post and mine is identical to the fakes in the OP (down to the date and the serial number).

I do agree with what you say, but many people who buys batteries that not a OEM will just call it a fake, whether it's a fake or a third party one.

A fake battery and a third party brand battery are two different thing, third party batteries are not fakes.

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010
I've used "counterfeit" batteries in a couple of other phones I've owned. I only had a problem with one out of the four batteries, and that one wouldn't hold a charge for more than 5 hours on standby. Other than that battery, they've worked fine for me. I only paid around $5 for the junk battery, since it came in a two-pack for $10, which included a charger.

You get what you pay for. Verizon has official OEM batteries for sale for about $30 each. You probably won't find a legit battery for much less than that.

Why do you put quotes around "counterfeit"? Are you talking about counterfeit or third party batteries? As others have noted correctly, third party batteries sold legitimately, under their own brand name (or without a brand name) that do not attempt to be passed off as OEM batteries are not fake or counterfeit. They're just third party batteries. Whether they are any good is largely a crap shoot. But at least their is no misrepresentation and you know what you are buying.

A third party battery with a wrapper attempting duplicate or resemble the OEM battery and sold as an OEM battery is a counterfeit.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the third party batteries are manufactured at the same plant and are of the same quality. But with the OEM you're getting an assurance of a minimal performance level from QA. With third party batteries of an unproven brand you don't really know. With counterfeit batteries, the seller has already shown that he has no ethical standard and so I'd suspect these are more likely to be defective/returned/poor quality products being resold for profit.

Was I naive to think I could get an OEM battery at this price? Probably. However, it's not outside the realm of plausibility. I don't believe for a minute that the real cost of an OEM battery is anywhere near $40 and I could believe that purchased in bulk or in other countries OEM batteries could be obtained at a much lower price. Even on Amazon I've seen OEM batteries for as little as $20 (but they won't ship to Canada). I'm more inclined to believe that the ones on Amazon are real.

In any case, I've started the process at eBay to get my money back. If they were just crap batteries I wouldn't care as they weren't very expensive, but being sold fakes just rubs me the wrong way...

I've learned my lesson though. No more batteries (and probably memory cards should be added to the list) from eBay. I'll just shell out the money and buy a real OEM locally.

thatexan

Jan 24, 2009
✌ EARTH ✌
they ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! WARNING!

eb-l1g6llu vs eb-l1g6lla----- im going thru the same thing and this is what ive found out/learned,, the eb-l1g6llu is a crappy "replacement" sure it fits and chargers and powers up but the battery life is nowhere near what our original batteries give us,, in 43 minutes i was down to 70% left! see pic-- i also felt a difference in weight so i weighed them both and the eb-l1g6llu actually weighs less so im sure would be another reason for the sucky life,, im currently sending my eb-l1g6llu back to the seller for a full refund since they are horrible,, also you will notice that the eb-l1g6llu has chinese writing on it-see pic- hints another reason it sucks,, they are just cheaper batteries that are the same size but not same weight and the 2100mah written on it is a total lie, my original battery is the one on the left on both pics,, im currently messaging a different seller on ebay where ive explained all this,, he is selliing the EB-L1G6LLZ which comes in the verizon s3 but will work in all sg3's but he also mentioned that the EB-L1G6LLA is any "original battery" and its just different cause of the carrier,, but again the eb-l1g6llu is just a flat out fake cheap battery people are selling just to rip you off,, when i get the EB-L1G6LLZ from him if it works properly with "real" battery life like the ones that came with our s3's then ill come back and reply with his link so hopefully nobody else will get screwed over,, thanks for reading ,.,.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 1,617
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 1,622
  • Screenshot_2013-06-14-15-18-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-14-15-18-31.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,488
Reactions: moraymol

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
Definitely read reviews first if you buy from amazon. I bought a "genuine" Samsung battery that wouldn't charge past 80% and was delivered in a simple plastic bag, no official packaging like the picture in the ad. Amazon seems like its now riddled with fakes of all kinds, I also bought a fake lifeproof case from there as well but was lucky and got my money back.

david1235102

Aug 6, 2013
eb-l1g6llu vs eb-l1g6lla----- im going thru the same thing and this is what ive found out/learned,, the eb-l1g6llu is a crappy "replacement" sure it fits and chargers and powers up but the battery life is nowhere near what our original batteries give us,, in 43 minutes i was down to 70% left! see pic-- i also felt a difference in weight so i weighed them both and the eb-l1g6llu actually weighs less so im sure would be another reason for the sucky life,, im currently sending my eb-l1g6llu back to the seller for a full refund since they are horrible,, also you will notice that the eb-l1g6llu has chinese writing on it-see pic- hints another reason it sucks,, they are just cheaper batteries that are the same size but not same weight and the 2100mah written on it is a total lie, my original battery is the one on the left on both pics,, im currently messaging a different seller on ebay where ive explained all this,, he is selliing the EB-L1G6LLZ which comes in the verizon s3 but will work in all sg3's but he also mentioned that the EB-L1G6LLA is any "original battery" and its just different cause of the carrier,, but again the eb-l1g6llu is just a flat out fake cheap battery people are selling just to rip you off,, when i get the EB-L1G6LLZ from him if it works properly with "real" battery life like the ones that came with our s3's then ill come back and reply with his link so hopefully nobody else will get screwed over,, thanks for reading ,.,.

I can verify this as well. I have a Verizon GS3 and an AT&T GS3. My Verizon GS3 came with the battery on the left, the EB-L1G6LLZ. My AT&T GS3 came with the battery on the right, the EB-L1G6LLA. Something I find weird is that the Verizon battery has a date on it; 06-17-2012. I also find it strange that the batteries were made in two different countries; the Verizon one in Korea and the AT&T one in Japan.

Just an afterthought:
Could the "Z" in the Verizon battery stand for veriZon while the "A" in the AT&T one stand for At&t? If that was true than couldn't the "U" stand for Us cellular? This is just a guess but it seems like a weird coincidence.

Attachments

• 5v34ipY.jpg
    5v34ipY.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 673
  • 7vllY8A.jpg
    7vllY8A.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 630
Reactions: moraymol

joevik

Nov 14, 2009
I have recently bought a battery which had as title : New 2100mah OEM EB-L1G6LLU NFC Battery For I9300

The battery was shipped from HK. As i received the battery, i inserted it in my phone and there was about 57% battery left. In the span of 5 hours, with 45 mins of screen used on wifi (not even 3G) the battery was at 1%. I charged the battery in the phone itself using the supplied samsung charger and it took roughly 3 hours. As the green charging light came on, i unplugged the charger and to my great surprise the battery instantly dropped to 91%. I decided to give it another chance but the battery never fully charges. Although the battery had functioning NFC, the battery life was bad.

My advise would be, if you want a spare battery, get a genuine one or reputed brands such as Anker or Momax (although some may not have NFC).

joevik

Nov 14, 2009
Hey guys, have a look at these batteries, which one would you say is the Original battery that came with the S3? And the other one will obviously be the 'OEM' at $9.

Da Kine

Apr 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, Ca
I can verify this as well. I have a Verizon GS3 and an AT&T GS3. My Verizon GS3 came with the battery on the left, the EB-L1G6LLZ. My AT&T GS3 came with the battery on the right, the EB-L1G6LLA. Something I find weird is that the Verizon battery has a date on it; 06-17-2012. I also find it strange that the batteries were made in two different countries; the Verizon one in Korea and the AT&T one in Japan.

Just an afterthought:
Could the "Z" in the Verizon battery stand for veriZon while the "A" in the AT&T one stand for At&t? If that was true than couldn't the "U" stand for Us cellular? This is just a guess but it seems like a weird coincidence.

Then mine should have a T, since its from tmobile.

Checks phone battery...nope...has an A at the end.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

fitz420

May 18, 2011
Pittsburgh
www.radiotokyorocks.com
Id like to get an extra official Samsung battery but after some bad amazon experiences with "official" batteries for my HTC evos I'm nervous about amazon.

Does any1 have a legitimate source for real batteries other that paying full price at a sprint store.

wwonka69

Jan 26, 2011
Id like to get an extra official Samsung battery but after some bad amazon experiences with "official" batteries for my HTC evos I'm nervous about amazon.

Does any1 have a legitimate source for real batteries other that paying full price at a sprint store.

If you want to make sure it's genuine either go to sprint or Samsung,

Stop trying to be cheap. You get what you pay for and the odds of your finding a genuine on amazon or ebay for $10 bucks is the same as me beating Tiger Woods in golf.

moraymol

Apr 8, 2013
Romark

Just an afterthought:

do you think the EB-L1G6LLZ battery which comes in the verizon s3 will work in your at&t, and the at&t battery (EB-L1G6LLA) work in your verizon?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Avoid Imitations

Regarding counterfeit and third party manufactured Li-Ion batteries for portable devices, plese let me add a strong warning.

Lithium chemistry cells can react to mistreatment (and even to what you may think is perfectly normal treatment) by runaway overheating, outgassing, swelling, rupturing, venting with flame, and in the most extreme situations (such as being enclosed a tightly sealed enclosure) exploding.

OEMs typically employ a number of technical means to protect the user from injury or damage to their devices ( and the OEM from lawsuits). For batteries and battery packs, the most important means is additional protective circuitry that fits between the anode/cathode terminals of the cells and the "+" and "-" terminals on the battery or pack. The circuitry detects when the cells reach maximum safe charge, minimum safe discharge, maximum charging or discharging current and often determine whether the cells are operating within a safe temperature range. Even small batteries for phones incorporate extremely small circuit board assemblies installed in the top of the battery just beneath the terminal contacts.

Counterfeiter and third party manufacturers often don't care about your safety and only want to build the cheapest possible product. They leave out the protective circuitry, which can add a significant percentage to the total manufacturing cost. After all, the bare cell works perfectly well without the protection and no one knows the difference until the battery burns up inside your phone. Actually, third party cells may not work that well, either because careless manufacturing practices introduce contaminants intothe cells that reduce theor performance. It's entirely possible that the third partye didn't actually manufacture the cell but bought the rejects from the OEM that didn't meet the performance specifications.

Please do yourself a favor and don't be tempted by the lower price of a third party battery. The risks are simply too high, and the phone you save may be your own.

I hesitate to add my full credentials, but let me qualify my position. I work for an organization that promotes safety in electrical/electronic products and my current professional focus is on portable energy storage products and charging systems. I have more than 40 years experience in electrical engineering, research, design, manufacturing and testing. I have seen too many counterfeit, copy cat, and imitation batteries and chargers being sold in too many outlets to keep quiet when I read exchanges such as I've found here.

The best protection you have from imitations is to buy from an impeccable source. Apple has the right idea with its stores, but Apple's chargers and cables are among the most copied and counterfeited in the world because the company tries to keep its profit margin high. Their little1Ampere USB cube charger is one of the most copied I've seen and every fake is potentially dangerous to your iPhone or to you personally (Remember the young Asian woman who was electrocuted?). So, if you own an Apple product, your best choice to to buy from an Apple store.

I just bought a new Samsung battery and external charger for an S3 through Amazon. (I almost ordered it direct from Samsung online but I have a convenient relationship with Amazon when I believe that I can trust the product I buy from them.) While the charger and battery came packaged together inside a single Samsung retail carton, I will continue to be careful while I run some initial performance tests, but I feel fairly certain that the products are genuine. On the other hand, if I had bought a battery or charger that arrived in "bulk packaging," i.e., a plastic bag, I would be forced to assume that I just bought a bag of worms.

What I've said about batteries holds to chargers as well. There are many simple designs for circuits to deliver charge current to a battery, and most of them will do nicely if you are ready personally to measure the voltage on the battery periodically and check that the battery isn't overheating. A properly designed charger from a reliable source will perform all the necessary functions to monitor the battery and protect it (and you) from damage. The fake Apple chargers I noted become overloaded when connected to charge at their claimed 1 Ampere output. Their output voltage drops to as little as 2 volts instead of 5. They have no means to monitor the battery voltage and end the charging current when the battery is at full capacity (but why should they since they won't charge the battery completely anyway?). Likewise, many third party chargers/AC adaptors for tablets, notebooks, and laptops are notorious for overheating, melting, and even igniting during use. So why take the risk? Buy from a source you can absolutely trust, even if that means buying directly from a manufacturer or its authorized distributor, and pay the full price. In these situations, you will truly get what you pay for.

Of course, if you buy a less expensive third party device, you'll still get what you pay for. You may not like it.
    they ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! WARNING!

Just an afterthought:
    your better off getting one of these 2 Batteries and a charger http://www.zerolemon.com/details.php/zerolemon-2x-galaxy-s3-2300mah-slim-battery-charger No nfc but really do you use it? :highfive:
    I wouldn't waste my money on an original battery anyway because I've been using 2200mah Anker batteries which are less than half the cost of originals but actually do last longer, seem to be just as good quality and have an 18 month warranty instead of 6 months on original.