Best uses for NFC

Search This thread

Jcossack88

Aug 8, 2012
Riverside
Just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone can think of some interesting places to utilize the Samsung TecTiles. I have thought of a few places, but would be interested in hearing where everyone else uses them.

By the home entrance: Toggle Wi-Fi and brightness

By the bathroom sink/shower: Launch Google Music

Nightstand: Turn on blocking mode

By the toilet: Launch favorite reading/video website

Coffee Table: launch GoogleTV remote

Wanderr

Nov 6, 2012
San Francisco
Here's what I thought of...

Car? Turn on GPS, disable Wi-Fi, turn on bluetooth and turn on Music.

Work Desk? Turn on Wi-Fi, disable GPS, turn off/on bluetooth depending on your need and Silent Mode.

Jcossack88

Aug 8, 2012
Riverside
Yes, I've seen a lot of people putting the tag inside a car dock.... very cool

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Jcossack88

Aug 8, 2012
Riverside
You can get them at a Sprint store for $15...or order them off Samsung.com

cecilia

Feb 2, 2007
New York

ascian

Nov 3, 2012
You can find these for around $1 for basic tags at places like tagstand.com or tagsfordroid.com. It just depends how aesthetically pleasing you want them. There are many sites that sell tags with equal or better function for less than Samsung.

Reactions: Jcossack88

Jcossack88

Aug 8, 2012
Riverside
Just never heard them called tectiles..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Its just Samsungs official tags...there are some for cheaper, like other people have said but they are not the official ones. Do they work just as good? Probably, but I never really paid any attention to the other ones.

cal3thousand

Feb 10, 2009
I'm going to put a bunch up everywhere and have Tasker deal with controlling all sorts of things based on my location.

Wifi and BT automatically turn off after set amounts of idle time.

In car, Wifi Off, BT ON

At Desk, Wifi On.

If I put it in the Logitech BT keyboard's cradle (which will house a tag), it will turn on BT.

Maybe put one on my e-bike, to send a sms to my wife to let her know that I'm on my bike, turn on GPS, turn off wifi, turn on BT, etc

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
I wanted to have one in my car to enable car mode, toggle bluetooth, make sure gps was on, set the volume to the correct level and turn my phone off vibrate.

Unfortunately the nfc tag i have does not have enough memory according to the tectile app, maybe ill try one of the 3rd party apps later.

cal3thousand

Feb 10, 2009
I wanted to have one in my car to enable car mode, toggle bluetooth, make sure gps was on, set the volume to the correct level and turn my phone off vibrate.

Unfortunately the nfc tag i have does not have enough memory according to the tectile app, maybe ill try one of the 3rd party apps later.

Is that because you need more code lines for more commands?

I'm thinking about putting all of the "code" in Tasker and have the NFC just activate the code.

Art Vandelay

Oct 25, 2007
PDX
What's the consensus on how much more battery you burn keeping NFC on all day?

Not that I have battery problems..just curious.

Jcossack88

Aug 8, 2012
Riverside
Especially with the GNoteII, I don't see battery being a huge issue.

Jcossack88

Aug 8, 2012
Riverside
Does anyone know if the tag will let you write a note on it? I have people over at my house and they always ask for the wifi password...I figure if I can write a note on it, I can just stick the tag with the password on it and tell them where it is...so I don't have to look for the AT&T password all the time.

cecilia

Feb 2, 2007
New York
Does anyone know if the tag will let you write a note on it? I have people over at my house and they always ask for the wifi password...I figure if I can write a note on it, I can just stick the tag with the password on it and tell them where it is...so I don't have to look for the AT&T password all the time.

you can already do this the easy way. Just because I already have a screen grab of the TecTiles app (but this can be done on the other apps also):

Screenshot_2012-06-22-08-49-37.png

"Join a WiFi Network" lets you write your WiFi name AND wep password. I've done this already and i know it works. Of course, everyone that comes to your house has to have an NFC capable phone. If they don't make a tag with a text file on it so you can remember your pw.

"Show a reminder note" would be what you might use in th tectiles app.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes that is exactly what I was looking for...only people that don't have NFC are iPhone users and they aren't allowed to have my Wi-Fi password haha

you can already do this the easy way. Just because I already have a screen grab of the TecTiles app (but this can be done on the other apps also):

Screenshot_2012-06-22-08-49-37.png

"Join a WiFi Network" lets you write your WiFi name AND wep password. I've done this already and i know it works. Of course, everyone that comes to your house has to have an NFC capable phone. If they don't make a tag with a text file on it so you can remember your pw.

"Show a reminder note" would be what you might use in th tectiles app.
    You can find these for around $1 for basic tags at places like tagstand.com or tagsfordroid.com. It just depends how aesthetically pleasing you want them. There are many sites that sell tags with equal or better function for less than Samsung.
    So could someone techincally send malicious code through clever placement of one of these tiles? Sounds a bit dangerous to leave on at all times.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

it only works when the phone is ON and Unlocked AND you have to touch (or nearly touch) the phone to the tile to activate it. So, unless someone steals your phone and rubs a nasty tile against it, you KNOW when the NFC is activated.
    You can rewrite a tag to whatever you want. I haven't used the tiles either, but I went with the official Samsung ones just because I like to use official stuff. I think other tags are like $1 per tag....which is much cheaper than $15 for 5.