Touchscreen issues when charging

Search This thread

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
Anyone having issues with your touch screen when you are using it while it's chArging? Just wondering if i have a faulty device or are there others with the same problem

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

o0Joker0o

Jun 15, 2012
No my device does not have this issue when charging. I think this issue has something to do with the charger.

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
The sensation had an issue of touchscreen problems while charging. i went through 3 phones. The cause is the same cause as the wifi errors that people are having with the HOX. Bad connection from unibody(sensation) to board.. If we added aluminum foil or solder (just like the HOX wifi issue) it would fix the problem. On the sensation the problem got really bad to where you couldnt unlock the phone with the lockring. grounding issue. I hope the HOX isnt having that same issue and you just have a bum phone :eek: or better yet a bum cord or charger. let us know if its either :(

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
It was the grounding issue, does this damage the phone? I have a wall outlet with USB ports so it might emit too much power

It was the grounding issue, does this damage the phone? I have a wall outlet with USB ports so it might emit too much power

Every time this has happened it has been because of what the USB cable was plugged in to and not the cable itself. Try the charger it came with in a regular plug. If it doesn't work better then it is a phone problem.

fjlour

Jul 30, 2009
This happens to me too. Charging from the laptop with an eBay (chinese) cable causes the touchscreen to be unresponsive.

Here's how to test: Open the Notes and draw a few lines very fast.

Here's the results:
USB Charging

No USB Charging

neocryte

Jun 8, 2012
New York City
Yes, I have an issue - when the phone gets to 90%+ while charging, the screen becomes very unresponsive. The drags don't drag - instead the touches are registered as taps.

You can get an app like MultiTouch Test - and you will see, it's very clear to see when this happens.

My first One X device did not have this issue, so it's something specific to my current unit. Doesn't bother me much, since it only happens at 90%+ charge, while plugged in...

rfgamaral

Nov 19, 2009
Porto
My first One X device did not have this issue, so it's something specific to my current unit. Doesn't bother me much, since it only happens at 90%+ charge, while plugged in...
To me it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Unplugging the cable and plugging it back in seems to temporarily fix the problem, if I leave it charging for a couple more minutes, I think the problem will come back, but again, unplugging/plugging it back, solves it temporarily. It's weird...

Oh, and all this to say that I observed this behavior while charging around 65%, not 90%. And I've only observed this while charging with AC power with the original cable and charger. The problem did not present itself (yet) while charging through USB.

jmdwyer

Jun 9, 2014
Touchscreen While Charging

To me it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Unplugging the cable and plugging it back in seems to temporarily fix the problem, if I leave it charging for a couple more minutes, I think the problem will come back, but again, unplugging/plugging it back, solves it temporarily. It's weird...

Oh, and all this to say that I observed this behavior while charging around 65%, not 90%. And I've only observed this while charging with AC power with the original cable and charger. The problem did not present itself (yet) while charging through USB.

I just had this happen with the stock charger from my old HTC One using it on my HTC One X. Along with touchscreen problems it got VERY hot located as you are looking at the camera side it got hot on the top right side near the camera. Dunno what that could be. Both chargers are rated at the same voltage and amperage, I dont get it

jmdwyer

obsidian_eclipse

May 25, 2011
I just had this happen with the stock charger from my old HTC One using it on my HTC One X. Along with touchscreen problems it got VERY hot located as you are looking at the camera side it got hot on the top right side near the camera. Dunno what that could be. Both chargers are rated at the same voltage and amperage, I dont get it

jmdwyer

It's caused by electrical noise. The voltage supplied from your mains outlet is alternating current (typically 50/60hz in frequency). a usb charger has to do two things; firstly step down the voltage (110v/230v/240v down to 5v) and secondly rectify the alternating current into direct current (positive and negative). how it does this is by using a transformer which employs an iron core surrounded by copper windings, this generates a lot of rf (radio) which travels down the cables to the device as well as broadcasting a short distance through the air, a decent charger will use shielding as well as a few other pieces of circuitry which will neutralize the rf given off. In order to rectify the voltage the charger will use a variety of diodes and capitors, in a cheap Chinese charger they will typically use as little as 2 and possibly a generic chemical capacitor (similar to a small battery) these degrade over time and can get quite hot, fat and eventually burst - when you hear about chargers exploding or setting on fire it's usually because the capitors aren't up to the job. a Chinese charger may have all the quality control and certification stamps but most of them are forged, if you buy a charger for less than $10 this is what your likely to end up with. the outputted voltage may appear 5v on a multimeter but they are a very dirty output and can spike from 3v to 7v or even more the load on the charger increases. The dirty output interferes with the mechanism used on touch screen devices which also employ a type of capacitance to register where you are pressing on the screen. A decent charger will use solid state capitors and which should last a lifetime.

if the smartphone miss behaves whilst charging 90% of the time it's because of a faulty charging device (or one employing poor components). a decent charger may cost more $20 but they are significantly safer for both you and the device.

The problem with mains sockets with built in usb usually comes down to shielding, they will either have none or be earthed (which might sound like a good idea but in practise a lot of domestic devices will create leakage to earth causing more noise - alot of studio equipment will have a separate earth). These may not be as dangerous as cheap Chinese chargers but still undesirable.

If a original or good quality charger isn't available one of the best sources for charging a phone will actually be a desktop pc with a usb3 port. The whole pc is insulated in a nice metal case and there are a plefora of high quality components to create a stable clean power supply (a cpu voltage tolerance is usually measured to 2 decimal places of a volt which is pretty good).

Ditch the rubbish cheap chargers, you honestly get what you pay for and they aren't good for the long term health of the phone. If it hums or makes a high pitch noise whilst plugged in your playing with fire - literally. they aren't bothered if your phone dies in 6 months or bursts into flames so long as they get the $5 x 100,000 people who buy them (these things literally cost pennies for them to put together, even though the case might look the business inside they are nasty and as cheap as)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Heisenberg

obsidian_eclipse

May 25, 2011
Very insightful. The worst part is that I have two original HTC chargers and they both emit the high pitched noise.

Sent from my Evita

Some of the very small chargers might whistle a little, its called coil noise and isn't as bad as capacitors about to pop. The iron core hasn't been sufficiently dampened or glued into the case so it resonates when the ac passes through it, the pitch may change depending on the voltage (whether its a 230v or 110v power supply). It isn't unsafe but HTC should be doing a better job at checking the new chargers, over time most chargers will develop coil noise as glue tends to melt or degrade.

Very insightful video, you'll never buy a cheap charger again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The gist being the cheap chargers could very well set on fire and the USB could go live at mains voltage with no circuit protection, death traps spring to mind. Be careful what you buy.

Sent from my K701HBC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

jmdwyer

It's caused by electrical noise. The voltage supplied from your mains outlet is alternating current (typically 50/60hz in frequency). a usb charger has to do two things; firstly step down the voltage (110v/230v/240v down to 5v) and secondly rectify the alternating current into direct current (positive and negative). how it does this is by using a transformer which employs an iron core surrounded by copper windings, this generates a lot of rf (radio) which travels down the cables to the device as well as broadcasting a short distance through the air, a decent charger will use shielding as well as a few other pieces of circuitry which will neutralize the rf given off. In order to rectify the voltage the charger will use a variety of diodes and capitors, in a cheap Chinese charger they will typically use as little as 2 and possibly a generic chemical capacitor (similar to a small battery) these degrade over time and can get quite hot, fat and eventually burst - when you hear about chargers exploding or setting on fire it's usually because the capitors aren't up to the job. a Chinese charger may have all the quality control and certification stamps but most of them are forged, if you buy a charger for less than $10 this is what your likely to end up with. the outputted voltage may appear 5v on a multimeter but they are a very dirty output and can spike from 3v to 7v or even more the load on the charger increases. The dirty output interferes with the mechanism used on touch screen devices which also employ a type of capacitance to register where you are pressing on the screen. A decent charger will use solid state capitors and which should last a lifetime.

if the smartphone miss behaves whilst charging 90% of the time it's because of a faulty charging device (or one employing poor components). a decent charger may cost more $20 but they are significantly safer for both you and the device.

The problem with mains sockets with built in usb usually comes down to shielding, they will either have none or be earthed (which might sound like a good idea but in practise a lot of domestic devices will create leakage to earth causing more noise - alot of studio equipment will have a separate earth). These may not be as dangerous as cheap Chinese chargers but still undesirable.

If a original or good quality charger isn't available one of the best sources for charging a phone will actually be a desktop pc with a usb3 port. The whole pc is insulated in a nice metal case and there are a plefora of high quality components to create a stable clean power supply (a cpu voltage tolerance is usually measured to 2 decimal places of a volt which is pretty good).

Ditch the rubbish cheap chargers, you honestly get what you pay for and they aren't good for the long term health of the phone. If it hums or makes a high pitch noise whilst plugged in your playing with fire - literally. they aren't bothered if your phone dies in 6 months or bursts into flames so long as they get the $5 x 100,000 people who buy them (these things literally cost pennies for them to put together, even though the case might look the business inside they are nasty and as cheap as)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk