[APP][1/21/10] Shake2Send - Bump-like app for Windows Mobile. [v1.0.1]

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
This project has been put on hold indefinitely. You will NOT be able to connect to the service.

Hi.

Shake2Send is an application I made that allows two devices to pair and send contacts over the air.
To pair, the two devices shake at the same time (Similar to Bump for the iPhone). No bluetooth needed!

You can send contacts, as well as files.
Pictures will be displayed automatically, and CABs will auto install.

Version 1.0.1 released!

Instructions
Download the CAB.
Install.
Enter a name (Be unique for each device!)
Press Connect, and then shake both devices at the same time (Or within ~1 second).
When paired, Press Send and select a contact or file.

Known Issues
1. File sending is slow, try not to send big files (yet.)
2. Possible connection problem... still not sure on the details.
...More when I get more feedback

Changes
Latest version: 1.0.1
Better Auto connection
Bug fixes.
Better error messages
Some new artwork (not that different...)
Some internal code changes (Dynamic DNS, etc)
Better CAB File.

--0.61 Bug fix. Not an actual release.

0.6 Changes:
-Bug fixes, including the sending error.
-Some UI fixes and improvements
-Instructions picture :D
-File sending!
-Support for displaying pictures, and for auto-installing CABs.

Upcoming Features
1. Advanced options
2. Better looking UI
3. Auto-connect

Screenshots
shake2send_2.png
shake2send_1.png

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFJtbIXp7cs

Notes
1. You CAN use this app on non-gsensor devices. You will need to press Pair instead, and uncheck Use G-Sensor on the connect screen.
2. You will need .NET Compact Framework 3.5 in order to use this app.
3. If you want to host a private server for yourself (or prehaps a group of people), you still can download the server here:
http://windowsphonehacker.jaxbot.com/files/shake2send_server.php
But you will not receive automatic updates.

Download
Version 1.0.1 CAB: http://windowsphonehacker.com/shake2send/

Enjoy, and give me feedback!
If you like this, and want to see more changes, please Donate!

Last edited:

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
very cool

downloaded the .cab. only problem- none of my friends have have smartphones. so when i get to test i will let you know. watched your video though- very cool.

thanks for your hard work.

the0ne

Jan 2, 2007
Melbourne
www.1800pocketpc.com
I am guessing both the device has to be on the same WiFi .. is that true ?

UPDATE : Guess not, if using the public server

Another Question : How will the app handle if there are 2 different people with the same name using the public server @ the same time ?

Great stuff none the less have given it some press on 1800PocketPC

Last edited:

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
I am guessing both the device has to be on the same WiFi .. is that true ?

UPDATE : Guess not, if using the public server

Another Question : How will the app handle if there are 2 different people with the same name using the public server @ the same time ?

Great stuff none the less have given it some press on 1800PocketPC

If you WANT (paranoid I suppose), you can connect to a private server, but otherwise, the public server runs fine.

If there are two people with the same name on the public server at the same time... Hm, I actually think this might cause an issue, because the names are important in identifying devices. I'll have the server make sure no one chooses a taken name and patch it on my end :)

Thanks for the listing!

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Duplicate names should be fixed now!
The server simply changes the internal name of a conflicting client and adds a _1 to it.

The "Me" label will display the same name (until next build), but when pairing it will include the _1.

All the technical stuff aside, the problem is fixed serverside.

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
New Version Soon!

Almost done with Photo/file sending, but before I release the new version, I need some more feedback.

You can probably expect it sometime next week ;)

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
does everyone find this cool app to work easily or are you guys having some issues?? My question is how do you exactly go about using this properly when say you wanna share a contact with someone thats isnt near you and say there at there house and your at yours?? please a little help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm really excited about this app and the possibilities it posses like sharing photos and files etc!!!!! great work keep it up as im sure with time itll look better an better!!!! WM FOREVER!! :p

mhrc4

Oct 16, 2007
So Cal
looks great. Cant wait to try this out, as it will make it easier to send contacts/photos/etc back and forth between phones without emailing or MMSing.

Greatly appreciated.

mhrc4

Oct 16, 2007
So Cal
looks great. Cant wait to try this out, as it will make it easier to send contacts/photos/etc back and forth between phones without emailing or MMSing.

Greatly appreciated.
so after installing this on 2 phones and testing, here is what I have encountered.

- the application does not save the username/devicename that you give within the application when signing into the server. Would be awesome to have it auto-connect to your server and save the username/device name

- on first try, works exactly as expected

- on second try, when sending a contact from phone 1 to phone 2, if phone 2 IGNORES the contact, and subsequent contact sent from phone 1 to phone 2 comes across as that initial contact that was ignored. (basically, if you send the wrong contact, and phone 2 ignores it, you cannot send any other contacts to that phone, otherwise it comes across as that initial ignored contact

Best of luck, hope this all helps!!

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
so after installing this on 2 phones and testing, here is what I have encountered.

- the application does not save the username/devicename that you give within the application when signing into the server. Would be awesome to have it auto-connect to your server and save the username/device name

- on first try, works exactly as expected

- on second try, when sending a contact from phone 1 to phone 2, if phone 2 IGNORES the contact, and subsequent contact sent from phone 1 to phone 2 comes across as that initial contact that was ignored. (basically, if you send the wrong contact, and phone 2 ignores it, you cannot send any other contacts to that phone, otherwise it comes across as that initial ignored contact

Best of luck, hope this all helps!!

About the device names, I'm thinking about something along that line, as well as allowing users to manually pair with another user, by entering their name (For long distance transfer).

About that contact thing, strange. I'll look into it and hopefully put it in the next release (which will be soon :D)

Edit: found the problem. What's really happening is, after you send a contact, the dialog is still returning the same contact (Instead of the selected one). So this bug should happen even if you accept the contact, right?

Last edited:

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
very good, possible a german version ???

I don't speak German, so I can't translate it (without Google Translate, which would probably translate poorly), but if someone wants to translate for me, I'll be happy to make a build.

If someone's interested, PM me and I'll send you the strings that need translating.

Also, the English app should work overseas, if I'm not mistaken.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
0.6 Released! See first thread for download and details.

Glad to hear that you released a new version, I've already installed it lol and also that it's got improvements but when you said to be careful about what size cabs to send to each other or it'll crash what size is allowed and in the future will there be a no size limit b/c that would be the right approach :D KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND TY FOR THIS APP!! Question though, so now w/this latest version we can send stuff to other people that are at far distances and it'll work just fine?? And if so do we have to use it with the server on our PC'S to do so or is it easier to do then that if say were not at our houses???

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Glad to hear that you released a new version, I've already installed it lol and also that it's got improvements but when you said to be careful about what size cabs to send to each other or it'll crash what size is allowed and in the future will there be a no size limit b/c that would be the right approach :D KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND TY FOR THIS APP!! Question though, so now w/this latest version we can send stuff to other people that are at far distances and it'll work just fine?? And if so do we have to use it with the server on our PC'S to do so or is it easier to do then that if say were not at our houses???
About the file size: The current limit is 10mb. I probably won't set it any higher, because when the file limit is 10mb, the application is literally taking up 10mb of RAM, which is a lot for a handheld device.

You will not need the private server, unless you do not want a third party server handling connections (The server does not store anything, not even connection logs), but some people are paranoid, which is fine.

To send far distances, just click Pair->Manual Pair, and enter your friends username. Then have you friend do the same, but for you username. The two devices will pair OTA and allow file/contact sending.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
About the file size: The current limit is 10mb. I probably won't set it any higher, because when the file limit is 10mb, the application is literally taking up 10mb of RAM, which is a lot for a handheld device.

You will not need the private server, unless you do not want a third party server handling connections (The server does not store anything, not even connection logs), but some people are paranoid, which is fine.

To send far distances, just click Pair->Manual Pair, and enter your friends username. Then have you friend do the same, but for you username. The two devices will pair OTA and allow file/contact sending.

Thank You so much for getting back to me, your awesome lol...and Thank You very much for the info/instructions!!! I've already told many people about this app. and posted about it numerous times on twitter!!! :D

Is there anything your looking to add to this app in the future feature wise? when will it be finalized as a final version? Also when we enter a user name will it stick or do we have to always re-enter it every time we use the app?

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Is there anything your looking to add to this app in the future feature wise? when will it be finalized as a final version? Also when we enter a user name will it stick or do we have to always re-enter it every time we use the app?

If people have suggestions, I'll look into adding them, but for now, bug fixes and improvements are the main concern.

The user name you choose is not permenent, which is why it is random each time. It's just a useful identifier, that at one point will probably be 100% automatic and simply tell the user his/her ID.