[Q] Problem with noise cancelling headphones?

Search This thread

Devzz

Oct 13, 2012
Hey there,

Today I decided to eventually officially get the xperia z2 so I opened the headphones and plugged them in. They're absolutely amazing, better than anything I've had so far in terms of in-ear headphones. However, I noticed a problem. Not sure if it's just me with faulty headphones but when they're plugged in and they're not like leaning a certain way, there's extreme noise, songs randomly change, Google Search app randomly opens etc. If I spin the headphones while they're plugged in as in just turn the 3.5mm jack around while it's in the hole, songs stop playing, there's really loud noise too. Have I got faulty headphones or a faulty headphone jack/phone?

Thanks in advance for any help! If some of you could please try reproduce this with your noise cancelling headphones and report back I'd appreciate it tremendously!

P.s it might be worth nothing I did put the phone in a bit of water for about 10 seconds just to test it is waterproof and I assume the headphone jack is too so it shouldn't be that right?

feis

Dec 30, 2008
Jack might take upto few hours to dry up, says so in user manual

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Devzz

Devzz

Oct 13, 2012

That's weird. I did the whole water thing yesterday afternoon so it's easily been over 24 hours and it has been heating up like crazy today because I've been using it so much so it should've dried up by now surely?

Thanks for your reply! :good:

feis

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah it should be fine by now, then probably faulty jack or headphones as this is first time i hear this problem.

Devzz

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah it should be fine by now, then probably faulty jack or headphones as this is first time i hear this problem.

Just tried a standard pair of headphones they seem to work fine with no interference and no random music stoppages. If I spin the NC headphones while it is plugged in, I hear noise only in the right headphone. The noise specifically sounds like how it would if you were on the phone to someone and they were tapping their headphone mic on their end then the music stops. Hmm guess I'll be going back to get them swapped tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Edit: Just tried the headphones on my laptop and they seem to be working fine regardless of position. I think it may be the jack after all. Will be taking phone in to be swapped/repaired tomorrow.

Last edited:

feis

Dec 30, 2008
Im no professor in these things, but i think nc headphones have more contact points compared to usual headphones, so if say 1 of those extra contacts were messed up, only z2 would react to it while laptop would ignore it and use them as conventional headphones. Just my theory, dont know how valid it is

Devzz

Oct 13, 2012
Im no professor in these things, but i think nc headphones have more contact points compared to usual headphones, so if say 1 of those extra contacts were messed up, only z2 would react to it while laptop would ignore it and use them as conventional headphones. Just my theory, dont know how valid it is

Yeah I feel like either one of the points are messed up on the headphones or one of the contact points in the jack is messed up. I'll have to go in store tomorrow and try another pair of 5 contact point headphones as I don't have any others with me. I'll update tomorrow afternoon :) thanks again for trying to help! :good::highfive:

bombdog

Jun 5, 2011
Toon
I have exactly the same problem, 10 - 15 minutes after a brief bit of radio in the bathroom, but the phone wasn't inside the actual shower, I plugged my noise cancelling headphones in and immediately heard a couple of small pops. Thought nothing of it to be honest, but as my journey to work went on the noises got louder and more distorted and seemed to be being caused by the background noise itself. Then the phone just went mental, started getting very hot and taking me to the Smart Connect App for no reason, the speakers stopped working completely, could call people, but not hear anything (dial tone or voice), even after multiple re-starts nothing. Tried calling my phone from my desk phone and the speakers were working for ringtone/notification, but not music and voice! Then after turning it off and leaving it for a while, things seemed to come back to normal, but then I tried plugging the headphones in and once again the phone went mental. Running stock ROM, unrooted on 17.1.A.2.55 (STILL!) I'm a bit miffed to say the least. The phone has in some respects exceeded my expectations, but sometimes feels like a half-baked product.

bombdog

Jun 5, 2011
Toon
Now the phone isn't recognising the noise cancelling headphones at all and the phone has mad battery drain and random volume issues (alarms are refusing to silence and quiet, then loud speaker volume) considering I was in a steamy room and not actually immersing the device in water.. This totally sucks :( going to Sony store tomorrow..

Last edited:

bombdog

Jun 5, 2011
Toon
OK just an update on what's been happening with my phone/headphones since my last post. Went to Sony store (and three store) and was basically told "meh, phone Sony" so I called 08705237237 and the girl on the phone told me to "repair the software" first and if this don't fix the problem then send headphones in for repair! As for the headphones, they are no longer recognised as noise cancelling ones for 99% of the time, when they are recognised, they make the phone go utterly mental and freeze up! Very annoying. Will try software repair and report back. Will this error affect the use of the stm10 mic I have on preorder, will have to see..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.