Best ROM?

Search This thread

warrior24

Oct 13, 2011
Whats best ROM out there? I know the ICS roms are buggy so lets try to exclude those unless you really do recommend it as a daily driver....lets here ur guys opinion? I havent installed a custom ROM on my phone yet so i'm trying to see what should be my 1st one. Thanks :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

rfail1988

Jul 22, 2011
I take some offense that you call the ics roms buggy. They are excellent daily driver candidates. If you need wifi calling the. Dark side evolution 2 beta 3 is excellent as it is a tmo base. The only known big bug is that there is a voice delay on wifi calling if you are far from your router. The att based ics roms are a bit less "buggy" from what I hear but won't cut it if you absolutely need wifi calling. I recommend trying them all and seeing what you like. Its a matter of preference, not stability.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: warrior24

Madblaster6

Apr 6, 2010
I've used both ics darkside and gb I went back to gb for better battery and stability. There are still bugs that need to be fixed in ics. If you need more customization and faster speeds you can go with the ever so popular juggernaut. Or you can mix juggernauts rom and save battery with the darkside kernal witch people seem to be doing the most.

warrior24

Oct 13, 2011
Haha sorry dont mean to offend. I appreciate all the work the devs put in to these roms and I guess I have no room to call them buggy. They do the best the can with the resources they have.....but I guess until the official ics ROM comes out I can't expect perfection nor do i ever. But just wondering what roms people are running on their GS2

jim93

Oct 18, 2011
Before you ask whats the ROM you should see if everyone could actually agree on the ranking of importance of features on ROMS.

suaverc118

Mar 19, 2012
I personally enjoyed Juggs 5 with either the hercules kernel or synergy. Great stability, customization and battery life.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
Darkside 2.7 is best rom for our phone on GB.
I have tried darkside ICS too but lots of bugs there so went back to GB.
Tried AOKP too but not good as daily driver.
Jag 5.0 is good too but i choose Darkside for best battery life.

Optimizer

Oct 15, 2008
Kansas City
I have flashed pretty much EVERY rom that has been put out by our great developers. I will say that the ICS roms seem to be less stable, and more problem prone because they are usually ports or have issues with hardware... As far as recommending a rom, I would recommend Juggernaut 5.0 (2.3.6) gingerbread. It is extremely fast, I get great battery life, and I do not have any problems. Along with Juggernaut, I flashed the Blaze radio, and crypted's GPS fix script, therefore I have 5 second or so GPS lock and my 4G is getting DL speeds of 15mb/s or so with uploads of 2mb/s.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1322642 - Juggernaut

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1476962 - Crypteds AGPS lock ADB script.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572198 - Blaze Modem

BUT; in reality, its user preference.

Happy Flashing!

h1a8

Dec 8, 2010
I flashed my share of roms. I flashed several slickmod roms, darkside digital roms, beastmod roms, malice, foxstar, stock, juggernaut, tuesday blu-ray, etc.

I would like darkside digital if it wasn't for the horrible echo when calling other S2 phones. I tried this rom several times over and the echo is still there. Juggs and foxstar give me echo problems too. But not every rom I tried gives echos. I flashed every rom I tried at least a good 4 times each. So I know.

I would like slickmod if the battery life was better (for the older ones) and if the theme was better (for the newer ones). I really don't like the new theme.

I would like tuesday if it had a more preferable theme to me (I don't like the dull gray theme but it's not too bad though). I would like more than 3 icons at the base also. But it's a very good rom.

I keep coming back to beastmod 5.0 though. It gave me the least problems (besides tuesday) and the best battery life (besides Darkside), while being fully featured (lots of features), and while the theme is livable (not the best but not bad either).

My vote is either beastmod 5.0 or tuesday rom (if you can dig the theme and the 3 icon base).

If I can create a hybrid. I would start with beastmod exteme 5.0 as a base, with stock theme (I like stock theme the best), the speed and smoothness of slickmod (it uses darkside kernel very well), the battery life of beastmod or darkside digital 2.5.1, and the stability of tuesday.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

I flashed tons of roms and ended up going back to rooted GB stock. Its 100% bug free and i used TB to freeze the bloatware which greatly improved battery life.

Did you try flashing the stock GB rom with the synergy kernel or streamline kernel?
If so then did you still get 100% bug free? What about any improvements?

Anyone can answer this question though.

Last edited:

razormight

May 28, 2012
Its a matter of preference, not stability.

No offense but, I disagree. Stability is part of what makes a ROM a good candidate for use. What if a ROM with super excellent themes and mods running at the best speed possible and providing all features possible under the sun (well, as much as the device could possibly offer) and freezes or locks up randomly or every 2 mins?

Case in point, I was using a Blackberry previously -before ditching that thing completely- which had full data enabled, maps etc. (if you ever used BB, you'd know each of these services had to be provisioned) so, someone offered to sell me a hacked BB which had all these enabled. It worked great! I was ecstatic but the damn thing would freeze randomly all the time and at the worst time possible. I was driving with helps of google maps and had no clue about this place. Sure enough, for the past 9 hours it was fine but, that's when it decides to crap out. I pull over wait for 5 mins reboot (which is forever when you are really pissed) and restart maps again, search for address etc. only to crap out 5 mins later. See, there is no rhyme or reason for this to die but it does.

So, what did we learn? Stability IS a very important thing.

quest4fire

Aug 12, 2010
Washington, DC
Google Pixel 5
I flashed my share of roms. I flashed several slickmod roms, darkside digital roms, beastmod roms, malice, foxstar, stock, juggernaut, tuesday blu-ray, etc.

I would like darkside digital if it wasn't for the horrible echo when calling other S2 phones. I tried this rom several times over and the echo is still there. Juggs and foxstar give me echo problems too. But not every rom I tried gives echos. I flashed every rom I tried at least a good 4 times each. So I know.

I would like slickmod if the battery life was better (for the older ones) and if the theme was better (for the newer ones). I really don't like the new theme.

I would like tuesday if it had a more preferable theme to me (I don't like the dull gray theme but it's not too bad though). I would like more than 3 icons at the base also. But it's a very good rom.

I keep coming back to beastmod 5.0 though. It gave me the least problems (besides tuesday) and the best battery life (besides Darkside), while being fully featured (lots of features), and while the theme is livable (not the best but not bad either).

My vote is either beastmod 5.0 or tuesday rom (if you can dig the theme and the 3 icon base).

If I can create a hybrid. I would start with beastmod exteme 5.0 as a base, with stock theme (I like stock theme the best), the speed and smoothness of slickmod (it uses darkside kernel very well), the battery life of beastmod or darkside digital 2.5.1, and the stability of tuesday.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Did you try flashing the stock GB rom with the synergy kernel or streamline kernel?
If so then did you still get 100% bug free? What about any improvements?

Anyone can answer this question though.

No i have stock kernel. I miss having BLN with custom kernels. Sometimes when a ROM was buggy it was hard to tell if it was the Rom or kernel. Stability was worth trade off of not having BLN.

Troyis

Mar 7, 2012
Edmonton
I was using Beastmod 4.2 for ages and just switched to Darkside UCLE2 ICS ROM along with the AOSP theme on top of it. So far, I am really liking it. The camera seems to have a few bugs, but it still takes pictures fine. Also, the Wifi calling has some issues, but I don't use that either. All that said, I haven't encountered a force close yet, which was a pretty frequent occurance when I was using Beastmod.

I'm not sure why this thread exists though. Everyone has different expectations and needs of what a good ROM should be, so it all comes down to opinion and preference based on what you need.

h1a8

Dec 8, 2010
No i have stock kernel. I miss having BLN with custom kernels. Sometimes when a ROM was buggy it was hard to tell if it was the Rom or kernel. Stability was worth trade off of not having BLN.

May you try with synergy v10 or streamline kernels and report back. I have a feeling that those kernels are bug free, but I could be wrong. If I'm right then you would still have your bug free stock rom, with BLN ability, and a vast improvement of battery life. You would be a very happy camper indeed. It's definitely worth a try.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

I was using Beastmod 4.2 for ages and just switched to Darkside UCLE2 ICS ROM along with the AOSP theme on top of it. So far, I am really liking it. The camera seems to have a few bugs, but it still takes pictures fine. Also, the Wifi calling has some issues, but I don't use that either. All that said, I haven't encountered a force close yet, which was a pretty frequent occurance when I was using Beastmod.

I'm not sure why this thread exists though. Everyone has different expectations and needs of what a good ROM should be, so it all comes down to opinion and preference based on what you need.

Beastmod 4.2? Why not Beastmod 5.0?

But I agree. For the rom best for an individual theymust look at:
Theme
Stability
Performance
Features
Battery Life

To me it's beastmod 5 then maybe Tuesday next. But Darkside's digital Warfare would be the ABSOLUTE BEST to me if it wasn't for the echo when calling other s2 phones.

Last edited:

Xyberz

Aug 26, 2007
I have flashed pretty much EVERY rom that has been put out by our great developers. I will say that the ICS roms seem to be less stable, and more problem prone because they are usually ports or have issues with hardware... As far as recommending a rom, I would recommend Juggernaut 5.0 (2.3.6) gingerbread. It is extremely fast, I get great battery life, and I do not have any problems. Along with Juggernaut, I flashed the Blaze radio, and crypted's GPS fix script, therefore I have 5 second or so GPS lock and my 4G is getting DL speeds of 15mb/s or so with uploads of 2mb/s.

Happy Flashing!

Is there any specific order you install these in or just as how you posted it? Just wanted to make sure one doesn't affect the other if no order is required.

Thanks

Corrupt0387

May 23, 2012
Im on Juggernaut now. Loving it. But i must say i was a huge fan of the ICS Skyrocket port from att. It was very clean and didn't notice many bugs if any. I struggled to get my stuff restored on it. So i went back to juggs. Used TB to restore on juggs and everything was back to normal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Happy Flashing!
    Darkside 2.7 is best rom for our phone on GB.
    I have tried darkside ICS too but lots of bugs there so went back to GB.
    Tried AOKP too but not good as daily driver.
    Jag 5.0 is good too but i choose Darkside for best battery life.

I take some offense that you call the ics roms buggy. They are excellent daily driver candidates. If you need wifi calling the. Dark side evolution 2 beta 3 is excellent as it is a tmo base. The only known big bug is that there is a voice delay on wifi calling if you are far from your router. The att based ics roms are a bit less "buggy" from what I hear but won't cut it if you absolutely need wifi calling. I recommend trying them all and seeing what you like. Its a matter of preference, not stability.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    I've used both ics darkside and gb I went back to gb for better battery and stability. There are still bugs that need to be fixed in ics. If you need more customization and faster speeds you can go with the ever so popular juggernaut. Or you can mix juggernauts rom and save battery with the darkside kernal witch people seem to be doing the most.

Darkside Digital Warfare 2.7 is my daily driver, stable, smooth, fast, I can recommend this ROM!!

Enjoy

Nighthawk's Tapatalk