Change DPI for faster and smoother Nook HD+ with CM 10

Search This thread

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
Hi, I changed the DPI from 240 on original CM10 to 480 or 320 (320 I think is much better) and the NHD+ is running much smoother and all the icons, fonts, look right.

If anyone interested try. With root explorer go to system, find build.prop, open it with text editor, change the density DPI from 240 to 320 save and exit, reboot and done. Or get a density changeling app from Google play.

Sent from my HD+

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372763998799.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372763998799.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,369

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Hi, I changed the DPI from 240 on original CM10 to 480 or 320 (320 I think is much better) and the NHD+ is running much smoother and all the icons, fonts, look right.

If anyone interested try. With root explorer go to system, find build.prop, open it with text editor, change the density DPI from 240 to 320 save and exit, reboot and done. Or get a density changeling app from Google play.

Sent from my HD+
Maybe that is why I never suffer any of the issues that others suffer. I have run at 320 since the first verygreen CM10/CM10.1's came out months ago. It is just the way I like it since my first tablet was a Galaxy Tab 7" and the icon and text sizes match that.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

srgibbs99

Dec 26, 2011

Wow, after running on 240 for so long, changing to 320 makes everything seem magnified...like, so my grandma could read it. :laugh: Also less real-estate to work with.

I think i prefer 240, but thanks for the tip.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I guess a one third increase would look pretty big. I like the current size, but can appreciate others liking bigger. Not noticing the unsmooth issue with Nova, but DID notice it with the default launcher in CM 10.1 and also with stock 2.1 (even when using Nova).

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
I guess a one third increase would look pretty big. I like the current size, but can appreciate others liking bigger. Not noticing the unsmooth issue with Nova, but DID notice it with the default launcher in CM 10.1 and also with stock 2.1 (even when using Nova).
We are running omap4470 at the far end of it's capabilities, it seems. Same sort of issues are present in Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (also omap4470 chip with 1920x1200 panel).
There are no problems in stock launcher on Nook HD that has same 4470 chip, but much smaller 1440x900 panel.

Reactions: killersloth

killersloth

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 7, 2011
It's a lot more pixels to push around, I noticed it on the HD+ as soon as I picked it up compared to the HD.
Usually even overclocking the CPU has little effect, but if we can oc the gpu and make it scalable it might actually make a difference.
I still need to learn more about omap chips, there doesn't appear to be a freq table like with msm chips, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though. Can't even find any relevant commits on github, but again I'm probably looking in the wrong places.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: 123421342

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Tegra 3 has the same issue, based on TF700 performance and Anandtech analysis. They actually found the 4470 more capable as far as cpu (this explains why HD+ is better with MAME) and for Flash and web browsing.

I prefer the HD+ with CM over the TF700 and stock Asus firmware. Seriously, and I am a picky person.

Last edited:

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
It's a lot more pixels to push around, I noticed it on the HD+ as soon as I picked it up compared to the HD.
Usually even overclocking the CPU has little effect, but if we can oc the gpu and make it scalable it might actually make a difference.
I still need to learn more about omap chips, there doesn't appear to be a freq table like with msm chips, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though. Can't even find any relevant commits on github, but again I'm probably looking in the wrong places.
it's in ach/arm/mach-omap2/opp4xxx_data.c, sadly a lot of them are running from a fixed clock so there's no easy way to actually bump them.
If we switch dpll_per clock for dpll_core for clocking bb2d and sgx cores, that should yield about 4% boost, that's about the easiest thing I see, though so far kernel does not want to agree with me about changing the parent clock ;)

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
If we use standard dpi's like 240, 320, 480 then go top settings/applications find the play store and clear the catch, then open play store and that's all it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using xda premium

Reactions: padawan_lp

Kevin43

Mar 29, 2013
Be careful doing this on stock with apps like DPI Changer. My HD+ went into the boot loop and restored itself to factory, now I have to go through the hassle of rooting, redownloading all my apps and stuff, and setting everything up again.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Be careful doing this on stock with apps like DPI Changer. My HD+ went into the boot loop and restored itself to factory, now I have to go through the hassle of rooting, redownloading all my apps and stuff, and setting everything up again.
Yes, I tell you how to do it safely on stock without reset in my HD/HD+ Stock tips thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

bckrupps

Sep 24, 2010
i set the hd up for 320. works great for flipboard and pulse. anybody try anything else that works in-between 240 and 320 that works well for the hd. im not to familiar with the standard numbers on the 7 inch tablet

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my HD+
    it's in ach/arm/mach-omap2/opp4xxx_data.c, sadly a lot of them are running from a fixed clock so there's no easy way to actually bump them.
    If we switch dpll_per clock for dpll_core for clocking bb2d and sgx cores, that should yield about 4% boost, that's about the easiest thing I see, though so far kernel does not want to agree with me about changing the parent clock ;)
    We are running omap4470 at the far end of it's capabilities, it seems. Same sort of issues are present in Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (also omap4470 chip with 1920x1200 panel).
    There are no problems in stock launcher on Nook HD that has same 4470 chip, but much smaller 1440x900 panel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Anyone know if it is possible to change DPI on rooted stock?

On my HD I had ROM Toolbox I used that to edit DPI while on stock. When I reboot the device however was still the same. I would suggest a app from google play since you have root.
    "dpi changer"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app