[Q] Windows 8.1 on our HTC One?

Search This thread

Aggies1288

Aug 25, 2013
Could there be a way to have the windows 8.1 on our M7? I seen today where they released the windows version on the M8 at verizon today and I was just curious if it could be done?

Thanks

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Could there be a way to have the windows 8.1 on our M7? I seen today where they released the windows version on the M8 at verizon today and I was just curious if it could be done?

Thanks

anythings possible but it would take a lot of work. i dont even know the logistics of it and wouldnt be very helpful.

maybe a dev could chime in.

bmeek

Jun 2, 2007
If I were in the position at Microsoft to institute a pirate dual-boot development campaign for Windows Phone, I would have a lot of fun doing it. Generate market buzz for Windows Phone by giving those with suitable devices the opportunity to install a "free operating system upgrade".

The challenges would be as much legal and political as technical - working with OEM and carrier partners who're nervous about unlocked bootloaders, etc. A marketing campaign that isn't about getting people to buy new hardware so much as giving new life to devices already out there... I would target recent Google Nexus devices (they're open, right?), then do an assessment of iPhone 5* and the legality of a push-button JailBreak app: "Tired of your stuffy iPhone? click here for some open Windows". yeah, redmond could have fun with this and make some noise where they need good marketing more than anything, Simply put, I would look closer at Windows Phone for my next upgrade if they did something like this. Do something nice for the enthusiasts and influencers, etc.

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
Know hawk has hinted about trying to port a Windows os to the m7. Again just talked about it a little. So till at least a dev tries and you know someone will try to do it. We will have to sit and wait till they do.

Reactions: hawknest

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Until the Windows m8 is even unlocked (as the Chevron method will no longer work) and someone manages to make a dump from it, nothing will happen.
Maybe it will still be possible to pay a fee and register it as a Developer device, for publishing apps to the market.
Then when that does happen, getting it to boot on the Android m8 will be the first challenge at hand, as it will have to have the bootloader and firmware ported as well.
Getting all of that ported over to any other device will be a huge challenge and I wouldn't personally hold my breath on anyone getting this done, anytime soon, if at all.
Just being straight about it.
It's not the same as porting android from one device to another.
In my opinion, Cotulla would be the guy to do this for the m7, if he has any interest in doing so, but again that's just my opinion.

hawknest

Jan 24, 2012
We will see what happens... As stated not possible without a dump though

Revamped 2.0 Lunar 4.4.3

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
well the HTC HD2 was able to get windows 6.5, windows 7, android, unbuntu, and Meego all on one phone so this is highly possible but as Hawknest said, we would need a dump first.

source

with some work, Grub bootloader can be loaded onto the M7. But thats another topic all together. :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Until the Windows m8 is even unlocked (as the Chevron method will no longer work) and someone manages to make a dump from it, nothing will happen.
    Maybe it will still be possible to pay a fee and register it as a Developer device, for publishing apps to the market.
    Then when that does happen, getting it to boot on the Android m8 will be the first challenge at hand, as it will have to have the bootloader and firmware ported as well.
    Getting all of that ported over to any other device will be a huge challenge and I wouldn't personally hold my breath on anyone getting this done, anytime soon, if at all.
    Just being straight about it.
    It's not the same as porting android from one device to another.
    In my opinion, Cotulla would be the guy to do this for the m7, if he has any interest in doing so, but again that's just my opinion.
    Know hawk has hinted about trying to port a Windows os to the m7. Again just talked about it a little. So till at least a dev tries and you know someone will try to do it. We will have to sit and wait till they do.