[GUIDE] Set up Verizon Galaxy S3 as World GSM Phone (confirmed working)

Search This thread

Beemer533

Apr 29, 2011
Syracuse
I do want to note that now the O2 sim is in, the phone no longer properly save foreign phone numbers in my contacts, and the phone dialer itself is completely broken.

The dialer worked until the foreign sim was put into my phone. Incoming calls, data, and sms/mms still work properly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

That's odd; I did not have any issues with my dialer. I ended up with a Vodafone SIM that I bought in Frankfurt, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Here is how I ended up getting my setup to work:

I first tried adding the APN info to the XML file on my PC prior to leaving for Germany, but each time I rebooted after adding the updated XML I lost my data connection.

I'm not sure why I couldn't get it to work, but what did end up working for me was this: I downloaded APN manager pro, and set it as a system app using Titanium backup (open up TiBu, scroll to APN manager and long press. From the pop-up menu select set as system app.)

Then open APN manager and select Insert APN. Enter APN info and hit save. If you don't set APN manager as a system app first, it will not be able to add any APN and will give an error.
From what ive read, this is due to Android 4.0 and newer only allowing system apps access to modify APNs. Also keep in mind that you must have the paid version of TiBu to be able to do this.

Open the app phone info set to Global and reboot. :D

thanks to the folks here for this!

topgnat

Dec 13, 2008
I have recently received Verizon version of S3 and it is working fully on GSM network with both calls and data even 3g.

My only issue is Persistent Ongoing notification "Non-Verizon Sim card..."

Is there a way to get rid of this. I bought SQLite editor to remove Wifi notification, would that also help in removing SIM notification?

Beemer533

Apr 29, 2011
Syracuse
I have recently received Verizon version of S3 and it is working fully on GSM network with both calls and data even 3g.

Is there a way to get rid of this. I bought SQLite editor to remove Wifi notification, would that also help in removing SIM notification?

Yeah, I have the same thing... I believe there is a way to remove the notification, but I haven't taken the time to find out how...

topgnat

Dec 13, 2008
Ok I have been able to get rid of non-Verizon SIM notification!!!

Just that I don't know how.
I can only tell that I installed titanium backup and froze following application. Yes my phone is working perfectly no issues. Now when I get time I will try to zero in on the real culprit by enabling/disabling one by one the more likely ones.

Anyone with more knowledge may be able to throw some light.

AllShare Controller 1.0 (com.sec.android.app.allsharedmc)
AllShare Play 1.0.0210 (com.sec.pcw)
AllShare Service 1.0 (com.sec.android.allshare.framework)
Apps 3.05.78 (com.gravitymobile.app.hornbill)
Backup Assistant Plus 1.0 (com.samsung.BackupAssistant)
Backup Assistant Plus 2.0 (com.samsung.vmmhux)
Bubbles 1.0 (com.android.noisefield)
ChocoEUKor 1.0 (com.monotype.android.font.chococooky)
Clock (digital) 1.0 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.digitalclock)
Clock (funky) 1.0 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.analogclockunique)
Clock (modern) 1.0 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.analogclocksimple)
Color 1.2.0.8 (com.color.android.socialcam)
com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker)
com.sec.bcservice 1.0 (com.sec.bcservice)
com.test.LTEfunctionality 1.0 (com.test.LTEfunctionality)
com.test.LTETestModeSetting 1.0 (com.test.LTETestModeSetting)
com.verizon.permissions.appdirectedsms 1.0 (com.verizon.permissions.appdirectedsms)
com.verizon.permissions.securesettings 1.0 (com.verizon.permissions.securesettings)
com.verizon.permissions.vzwappapn 1.0 (com.verizon.permissions.vzwappapn)
Deep sea 1.0 (com.samsung.android.livewallpaper.deepsea)
DirectShareManager 1.3.2 (com.sec.android.directshare)
Downloads 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.providers.downloads.ui)
DRM Protected Content Storage 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.providers.drm)
DttSupport 1.0 (com.sec.android.dttsupport)
Dual clock (analog) 1.0 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.dualclockanalog)
Dual clock (digital) 1.0 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.dualclockdigital)
Email 4.0 (com.android.email)
Enterprise SysScope Service 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.server.device.enterprise)
Enterprise VPN Services 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.server.vpn.enterprise)
EnterprisePermissions 1.0 (com.sec.enterprise.permissions)
Error 1.0.0 (com.sec.app.RilErrorNotifier)
Exchange services 3.1 (com.android.exchange)
FWUpgrade 1.2.0 (com.sec.android.fwupgrade)
Google Play Books 2.4.3 (com.google.android.apps.books)
Google Play Movies 1.4.11 (com.google.android.videos)
Google Play Music 4.1.513 (com.google.android.music)
Guided Tours 1.1 (com.samsung.tutorial)
Helv Neue S 1.0 (com.monotype.android.font.helvneuelt)
INDIServiceManager 1.1 (com.samsung.scrc.idi.server)
Kies air 2.1.207301 (com.samsung.swift.app.kiesair)
Kies via Wi-Fi 2.0.0 (com.sec.android.app.kieswifi)
Luminous dots 1.0 (com.samsung.android.livewallpaper.luminousdots)
Media Hub 1.6.0(LE07, 6487) (com.samsung.mediahub)
Mobile print 1.6.0.1219 (com.sec.android.app.mobileprint)
Music Hub 0.0.0.01 (com.samsung.music)
MusicFX 1.4 (com.android.musicfx)
My files 1.0.0 (com.sec.android.app.myfiles)
My Uploads 1.5.14 (com.google.android.apps.uploader)
My Verizon Mobile 10.0.229 (com.vzw.hss.myverizon)
My Verizon profile 0.2 (com.samsung.hux.sso)
Nearby devices 1.3.0 (com.sec.android.nearby.mediaserver)
NewBayService 1.3.29_silent (com.vcast.service)
Nfc Service 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.nfc)
NFC Test 1.0.0 (com.sec.android.app.nfctest)
OmaDrmPopup 1.0 (com.sec.android.drmpopup)
Phase beam 1.0 (com.android.phasebeam)
Photo wall 1.0 (com.siso.photoWall)
PickupTutorial 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.pickuptutorial)
PopupuiReceiver 1.6 (com.sec.android.app.popupuireceiver)
QoSSig 1.0 (com.verizon.permissions.qos)
Remote Controls 4.14 (com.sec.pcw.device)
S Suggest 3.1.69 (com.tgrape.android.radar)
Samsung account 1.2.051 (com.osp.app.signin)
Samsung Backup Provider 1.0 (com.sec.android.sCloudBackupProvider)
Samsung Cloud Data Relay 1.1.8 (com.sec.android.sCloudRelayData)
Samsung Cloud Syncadapters 1.0 (com.sec.android.sCloudSync)
Samsung Push Service 1.0.5 (com.sec.spp.push)
Samsung TTS (com.samsung.SMT)
SASlideShow 1.0 (com.sec.android.saslideshow)
SDM 1.0 (com.samsung.sdm)
Setup Wizard 1.3 (com.google.android.setupwizard)
Setup wizard 1.0 (com.sec.android.app.setupwizard)
SmartcardService 2.3.2 (org.simalliance.openmobileapi.service)
SNS 1.01 (com.sec.android.app.sns3)
SPG 1.0 (com.samsung.spg)
Sync Service 2.8.0.1.17 (com.fusionone.android.sync.service)
SyncMLSvc 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.samsung.syncmlservice)
SysScope 1.1.11 (com.sec.android.app.sysscope)
Tags 1.1 (com.android.apps.tag)
Topic Wall 1.0 (com.samsung.topicwall)
TouchWiz home 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.sec.android.app.launcher)
Try panning 1.0 (com.sec.android.motions.settings.panningtutorial)
TwDVFSApp 1.0 (com.sec.android.app.twdvfs)
UltraCfg 1.0.14 (com.sec.modem.settings)
V CAST Tones 4.5.17-3 (com.vzw.hs.android.modlite)
Verizon SSO Engine 1.0.31 (com.motricity.verizon.ssoengine)
Voicemail 2.1.00 (com.samsung.vvm)
VPN Client 2.5.1 (com.ipsec.vpnclient)
VpnDialogs 4.0.4-I535VRALG1 (com.android.vpndialogs)
VZ Navigator 7.5.1.115 (com.vznavigator.SCHI535)
VZW Package installer (com.gravitymobile.vzwinstaller)
VZWAPNService 8.0 (com.vzw.apnservice)
Weather 120605.02 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.hero.accuweather.widget)
Weather Daemon 120426.01 (com.sec.android.daemonapp.ap.accuweather)
Weather Main 120605.02 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.hero.accuweather)
Wi-Fi Direct 1.0 (com.sec.android.app.FileShareClient)
Wi-Fi Direct share 1.0 (com.sec.android.app.FileShareServer)
Windy weather 1.0 (com.sec.ccl.csp.app.secretwallpaper.themetwo)
WlanTest 1.0.0 (com.sec.android.app.wlantest)
wssyncmlnps 2.0.0 (com.wssnps)
Yahoo! Finance 120510.01 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.yahoostock.stockclock)
Yahoo! News 12.05.04.01 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.yahoonews)

lair12

Oct 9, 2011
Cary, NC
Remove warning for Non-Verizon SIM - [SOLVED]

Looks like topgnat and I have both been working on this warning removal. He does have it above in his inclusive list of possibilities.

From my testing last week with a foreign SIM in my phone here in the US, I narrowed down the answer to freezing or deleting the app Setup wizard 1.0 (its icon is a red check mark with a magic wand). Using Titanium Backup, it is called Setup wizard 1.0; or if you freeze/delete with AntTek App Manager, it is the second listed Setup wizard and contains 24.00kb.

The app contains very little data in the database (three csv files with nothing of interest), and hopefully can be safely frozen. I have no idea why it is in the phone to begin with.

lair12

Oct 9, 2011
Cary, NC
Need HELP TESTING simplified method.

Thanks to Beemer533 for informing me that I can use Titanium Backup Pro (which I have always had) to set APN Manager Pro as a system app, I have a revised and simplified method for this process. But I need someone to test and see if the steps work correctly, as I am no longer overseas to test.

If you can, follow the steps in section A and B (and C if you can) and let me know if this all works OK...especially if there are no phone call out problems. If I can get working confirmation, I will modify the OP to reflect this process. Let me know where you are, and who your provider is.

I have had success with my SGS3 in the following places:
UK using Vodaphone
Rome using TIM
Morocco using Maroc Telecom
Russia using MTC
Finland using DNA
India using Vodaphone
Nepal using Ncell
In each place I bought a data package and made all my calls through skype.

THANKS!!!!

A: Preliminary steps that were done before leaving the US:

a1 – From Google Play store install the following apps if you do not have them: APN Manager Pro (81 Square), Phone Info (sc@taiwan), Titanium Backup Pro , ES File Explorer and Open Signal Maps. You may have to pay a few bucks for some of these pro versions, but they are required.

a2 – In Titanium Backup Pro, go to Backup/Restore, find and “long select” APN Manager Pro, and then select “Convert to system app”.

a3 – Open APN Manager Pro, select Insert APN, and input the data needed from your desired service provider (see note 1 below for help). When done, go to APN List and make sure your current APN’s and the new APN’s are both there. What I did was to leave the US with several options for each country I was going to visit already loaded into the APN list so I could be ready for several possible providers. At this point, your phone should still be fully functional in the US with Verizon LTE.

B: When overseas, I did the following steps to go from LTE to GSM:

b1 – Turn off phone, pull out battery and put in micro SIM from your foreign country. DON’T LOSE YOUR VERIZON LTE SIM! Turn phone back on and turn off Wi-Fi.

b2 – Use Phone Info app to change preferred network type "Global" (click on Device Information and scroll down to the first box to change). Some have reported that other choices were needed for their providers, so you may have to experiment.

b3 – Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names and select the correct APN. I believe that only APN’s that your SIM recognizes will show on this list. (If it’s not here, go back to step a3 and enter the needed APN data).

b4 – Reboot phone. You should have the SIM card working for phone and data.

C: To return to Verizon LTE:

c1 – Use Phone Info app to change preferred network to “LTE/CDMA/EvDo” (click on Device Information and scroll down to the first box to change).

c2 – Turn off Wi-Fi, pull battery and put Verizon LTE micro SIM card back in.

c3 – Power up phone (at this point you might be working properly already, and you are good to go!)

c4 – If needed, go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names and select LTE-Verizon Internet (which is my default here in North Carolina).

Notes and Troubleshooting Issues:

1. Below are several sites to check if you do not know the correct information. I cannot guarantee that this information is current. You may only need to enter some of this information to get data working (I did not try phone or MMS use). In some cases it may be as little as just the APN Name to display and the correct APN (sometimes referred to as GPRS APN), while other providers may require the user names or passwords or more for full functionality. Please report your successful requirements in the thread.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/
http://www.vivaelputerio.com/yeldar.html
http://www.guarforum.net/APN
http://www.mygsmforum.com/f160/apn-s...networks-8471/
h t t p ://www.flexispy.com/Mobile%20APN%20Setting%20to%20use%20GPRS.htm
h t t p ://blog.rebelsimcard.com/worldwide-network-gprsedge3g-network-apn-settings.htm

2. I highly suggest that you use Open Titanium Backup Pro and backup your phone apps and data. Go to Backup/Restore; then select the check mark in the upper right corner; then select RUN "Backup all user apps and system data"; and then select the green check mark in the upper right corner. Let this run until complete. You can restore any of your apps from here in the future.

3. I highly suggest that people use the Open Signal Maps widget that comes with this app, and install it in a 1x2 format on one of your screens. This shows exactly what is happening as far as provider, signal strength, and type of signal. This is where I could see that I got 3g, 3.5g and 4g service from time to time in Moscow and Helsinki. I keep this on my home page here in the US.

4. When using your phone in the US or overseas with a non-verizon SIM card, you have a constant icon warning in the notification bar referring to a "Non-Verizon SIM". If this bothers you and you want to remove it, the answer is to freeze or delete the app Setup wizard 1.0 (its icon is a red check mark with a magic wand). Using Titanium Backup, freeze or delete Setup wizard 1.0; or if you freeze/delete with AntTek App Manager, it is the second listed Setup wizard and contains 24.00kb. The app contains very little data in the database (three csv files with nothing of interest), and hopefully can be safely frozen. I have no idea why it is in the phone to begin with.

5. I also suggest learning the great features of ES File Explorer. If will allow you to easily get to your all your files (including system and root). Open it and go to menu>settings; then check "up to root", "root explorer", "mount file system" and "backup system app". Now you have full access and control of your phone files. The external card is found at /mnt/extSdCard, while the internal SD card is at /mnt/sdcard. You can set favorites to get to places you want to visit fast, and that is a plus to this file program.

6. Some phones have the option to check the following: Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network (if available)>then the first instance of Network Mode (before Access Point Names), and make sure it says Global mode or another choice that works for your provider (If not, go back to step b2).

7. Some phones have the option to check the following: Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network (if available)>then the second instance of Network Mode (after Access Point Names), and make sure it says GSM/WCDMA (Auto Mode), at least that is what I needed in Europe. Some providers may need other selections and you may have to experiment.

8. There have been reports of problems with the phone app crashing using the prior, more complex method. If this happens, try restoring your "com.android.phone" app with Titanium Backup. I'm still looking for confirmation that this fixes any issues, so please post to the thread if you have this problem and let us know if this fix works, or if it does not.

Thanks for Beemer533 for making aware that I can use Titanium Backup to make App Manager Pro a system app! This is the way I had changed APN’s with my old HTC Incredible 2.

Please provide feedback on your success or problems.
And if this helps...give a thanks!!

Last edited:

Beemer533

Apr 29, 2011
Syracuse
I did forget to mention what I did on my return to the US;

I pretty much did follow the steps you have described in section C, except I did not disable wifi (I didn't think about it..) other than that steps C1-C3 worked for me.

I can confirm that for me, your simplified guide describes the steps I followed. The only real difference was that I ended up doing all the steps in Germany due to the fact that I couldn't get the previous method to work...

I will be headed to Kyrgyzstan at some point in the next few weeks, so I plan on trying this again.

Reactions: majmuni

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010
i have a sprint gs3 so i am unable to join in on the fun but i'm wondering if anyone has tried using "test mode" to set to GSM and 850/1900 bands? Test mode is built into Touchwiz so... obviously this works in Touchwiz only. Press *#22745927 to enable hidden menus. then install Netmonitor from the Play Store. Open Netmonitor > hit the menu button > Hit "Field Test".

Once in Test Mode you can go to UMTS > DEBUG SCREEN > PHONE CONTROL > NETWORK CONTROL > BAND SELECTION to set GSM Band preference.

then starting at the very beginning over test mode again... CDMA > COMMON > NEXT PAGE > NEXT PAGE > PREF MODE SET to select GSM/WCDMA ONLY.

curious if someone could get ATT HSPA going using the above methods.. perhaps requiring even more test mode edits(poke around but be careful).

varunrs

Dec 4, 2009
APN Manager Pro works for me too. But do give me a little more time to check with other carrier SIMs as well. However ,as soon as i change the apn my dialer starts crashing. Is there a solution for that yet. Coz then the phone becomes more unusable than it is without data.

Reactions: ale20cu

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
i have a sprint gs3 so i am unable to join in on the fun but i'm wondering if anyone has tried using "test mode" to set to GSM and 850/1900 bands? Test mode is built into Touchwiz so... obviously this works in Touchwiz only. Press *#22745927 to enable hidden menus. then install Netmonitor from the Play Store. Open Netmonitor > hit the menu button > Hit "Field Test".

Once in Test Mode you can go to UMTS > DEBUG SCREEN > PHONE CONTROL > NETWORK CONTROL > BAND SELECTION to set GSM Band preference.

then starting at the very beginning over test mode again... CDMA > COMMON > NEXT PAGE > NEXT PAGE > PREF MODE SET to select GSM/WCDMA ONLY.

curious if someone could get ATT HSPA going using the above methods.. perhaps requiring even more test mode edits(poke around but be careful).

Would you mind posting a few screenshots once inside of "Field Test". Just wanted to see what it does, how it looks, and if it's worth me downgrading from CM10 down to TouchWiz. I'm a big fan of TouchWiz' "ServiceMode" and I already miss it.

Thank you!

lair12

Oct 9, 2011
Cary, NC
APN Manager Pro works for me too. But do give me a little more time to check with other carrier SIMs as well. However ,as soon as i change the apn my dialer starts crashing. Is there a solution for that yet. Coz then the phone becomes more unusable than it is without data.

Do we really know if the phone dialer issue comes from adding and swapping APN's, or if it comes from changing the radio? Have you tried a number of the difference choices for radio settings using the Phone Info app? Maybe the Global setting that worked for my data needs (which was all I wanted, since I made calls through Skype), should be something else for phone and data to work correctly for your provider. Let us know if there is a better choice here.

Can you restore your com.android.phone (the Phone app) with Titanium Backup. Does this give you your data use and a working dialer?

Do you have the options to make changes in your Setting as provided in my Notes Section #6 and #7? I had this choice in Russia, but now these options are not on my screen at all!?

The steps laid out in the simplified system are pretty much what was done with my Incredible 2 when it was a factory approved world phone. I'm not sure why changing APN's would crash the dialer app, but I certainly see this being a problem for many people. Eventually Verizon will put out an update to make the SGS3 a fully functional world phone, but we will still need to change APN to work with foreign SIMs.

Last edited:

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
Would you mind posting a few screenshots once inside of "Field Test". Just wanted to see what it does, how it looks, and if it's worth me downgrading from CM10 down to TouchWiz. I'm a big fan of TouchWiz' "ServiceMode" and I already miss it.

Thank you!

Field Test/ServiceMode/TestMode all same thing.. but no prob... on sprint we can use anycut/bettercut/nova laucncher shortcuts to make a shortcut to IOTHiddenMenu which give you this screen. But just in case that doesn't work.. using netmonitor > menu > fieldtest should also launch TestMode(not sure if hidden menu must be enabled first.. on sprint ours is enabled by default).

Once in testmode you will see screens like ones below. To go back in Test Mode you must hit MENU > BACK. The back button will take you out of Test Mode.

WZ096.png
4Snxx.png
ln0Xr.png
CXEp4.png

UMTS > DEBUG SCREEN > PHONE CONTROL > NETWORK CONTROL > BAND SELECTION to set GSM Band preference

and

CDMA > COMMON > NEXT PAGE > NEXT PAGE > PREF MODE SET to select GSM/WCDMA ONLY

I'd love to see the Verizon phone work on ATT bands. Between being able to set GSM bands and LTE bands maybe it's doable. Hopefully something like swapping ATT NV items or flashing ATT radio won't be required.

Last edited:
Reactions: lair12

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
Field Test/ServiceMode/TestMode all same thing.. but no prob... on sprint we can use anycut/bettercut/nova laucncher shortcuts to make a shortcut to IOTHiddenMenu which give you this screen. But just in case that doesn't work.. using netmonitor > menu > fieldtest should also launch TestMode(not sure if hidden menu must be enabled first.. on sprint ours is enabled by default).

Once in testmode you will see screens like ones below. To go back in Test Mode you must hit MENU > BACK. The back button will take you out of Test Mode.

WZ096.png
4Snxx.png
ln0Xr.png
CXEp4.png

UMTS > DEBUG SCREEN > PHONE CONTROL > NETWORK CONTROL > BAND SELECTION to set GSM Band preference

and

CDMA > COMMON > NEXT PAGE > NEXT PAGE > PREF MODE SET to select GSM/WCDMA ONLY

I'd love to see the Verizon phone work on ATT bands. Between being able to set GSM bands and LTE bands maybe it's doable. Hopefully something like swapping ATT NV items or flashing ATT radio won't be required.

This is awesome! Thanks for pointing this hidden menu out! I've always accessed it through *#0011# but that basically gives me basic info. Tried ATT SIM, same thing voice and text is on, data is off since the domestic APN doesn't play nice.

suhailstar

Aug 1, 2012
guies, can any one explain to me about what these steps actually do to the cell phone??? do they amend the radio frequency? I mean, are these steps only change the radio frequency so the phone pick up the signal???

I want to perform the same steps again but vise versa means to make my Galaxy S3 19300 to pick up the cdma signal can any one help me to make an attempt? how I can get the APN?

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
This is awesome! Thanks for pointing this hidden menu out! I've always accessed it through *#0011# but that basically gives me basic info. Tried ATT SIM, same thing voice and text is on, data is off since the domestic APN doesn't play nice.

so have you tried ATT sim after TestMode? Or were you saying prior to this... ATT didn't work for data?

I've been using CDMA forever so I'm a huge GSM n00b... but what happens when you set GSM band to "ALL" and WCDMA band to "ALL"? Or at least set the GSM and WCDMA bands to what is exactly used in your area.

has anyone attempted to flash a GSM radio/modem yet? On the Galaxy Nexus.. there was a trick to altering the update-script.. and a Verizon modem would flash to Sprint.. or Sprint onto Verizon. I've already tried flashing the Verizon radio onto my Sprint GS3. I was unable to get a signal after flashing... flashing back to a Sprint modem easily fixed that issue.

guies, can any one explain to me about what these steps actually do to the cell phone??? do they amend the radio frequency? I mean, are these steps only change the radio frequency so the phone pick up the signal???

I want to perform the same steps again but vise versa means to make my Galaxy S3 19300 to pick up the cdma signal can any one help me to make an attempt? how I can get the APN?

you have the international i9300? Not sure it would be as "easy". All of the GS3 versions here use the S4 SoC so the hardware is all very similar. The i9300 is based on quad-core exynos I believe. Worth a shot tho.. who knows what the international hardware is capable of!! Keep me posted if you make any progress. I would LOVE a GSM capable device that had a CDMA fallback.

Last edited:

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
so have you tried ATT sim after TestMode? Or were you saying prior to this... ATT didn't work for data?

I've been using CDMA forever so I'm a huge GSM n00b... but what happens when you set GSM band to "ALL" and WCDMA band to "ALL"? Or at least set the GSM and WCDMA bands to what is exactly used in your area.

has anyone attempted to flash a GSM radio/modem yet? On the Galaxy Nexus.. there was a trick to altering the update-script.. and a Verizon modem would flash to Sprint.. or Sprint onto Verizon. I've already tried flashing the Verizon radio onto my Sprint GS3. I was unable to get a signal after flashing... flashing back to a Sprint modem easily fixed that issue.
Yes of course I tried WCDMA all GSM all, as well as 850 and 1900 for WCDMA. I simply cant pull in the APN required for data connection. It looks like domestic GSM networks are disabled for data.
I mean I could easily change my bands using Phone Info app, had the same results. But all the ServiceMode menus are spectacular!

preusstang

Jan 13, 2011
@milan03 & autoprime,

this discussion would be best over here.

very exciting though. I would love to see domestic GSM carriers work for us.

milan03, I assume you added the APNs and it just won't take? Like they're there but you can't connect

Reactions: autoprime

suhailstar

Aug 1, 2012

you have the international i9300? Not sure it would be as "easy". All of the GS3 versions here use the S4 SoC so the hardware is all very similar. The i9300 is based on quad-core exynos I believe. Worth a shot tho.. who knows what the international hardware is capable of!! Keep me posted if you make any progress. I would LOVE a GSM capable device that had a CDMA fallback.

Actually we are discussing this in this thread for who wants to contribute click this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31175439&posted=1#post31175439

Reactions: autoprime

Caldaga

Oct 11, 2011
Did anyone ever get the phone to be fully functional outside of the USA? Meaning Phone, MMS, and Data?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using Samsung Galaxy as World Phone

Go to PAGE 11, POST #106 to see a simplified method. If this works well, please reply with your results in this thread.

I have had success with my SGS3 (and now my SGS4) in the following places:
    UK using Vodaphone
    Rome using TIM
    Russia using MTC
    Finland using DNA
    India using Vodaphone
    Nepal using Ncell
    Spain using Movistar and Vodafone
    Portugal using Vodafone
    Chile using Claro and Movistar
    China using China Unicom

My Phone: Verizon Galaxy S3, rooted with stock ROM and with Sprint version of custom recovery (other ROM's and recoveries may work as well.)

Preliminary steps that were done before leaving the US:

a1 – From Google Play store install the following apps if you do not have them: APN Manager Pro (81 Square), HiAPN Global (install as a system program when it asks), ES File Explorer, Dropbox, Phone Info (sc@taiwan), Titanium Backup and Open Signal Maps.

a2 –Backup your phone app: com.android.phone with Titanium Backup. (I suggest you do a full backup of all apps and data as long as you are doing this).

a3 – Open HiApn Global and back up APN's to sd card: HiAPN Global>Click to Backup APNs (this will create a file named “apnlist_backup.xml” on your internal SD card at /sdcard/HiDroid_Net/HiAPN).

a4 – Open ES File Explorer, then go to menu>settings and check "up to root", "root explorer", "mount file system" and "backup system app". (If you need to get to your external SD card, it is found at /mnt/extSdCard. You can set favorites to get to places you re-visit a lot, and that is a plus to this file management program.)

a5 – Using ES File Explorer, navigate to /sdcard/HiDroid_Net/HiAPN and select “apnlist_backup.xml”. Copy and rename your file in the same directory as a backup. Now open apnlist_backup.xml with DB Text Editor, and then edit to include your required APN information. For MTS in Russia, I added this line before the last </apns>:

<apn name="MTS Internet 01" numeric="22501" mcc="250" mnc="01" apn="internet.mts.ru" user="mts" server="" password="mts" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="" mmsc="" type="default" />

You may also download the file and edit in Dreamweaver or another appropriate program. You will need to have an entry called numeric in the edited file, and this number is the combination of your MCC and MNC numbers (250 and 01 would be 20501), but you can just put numeric=”” if you do not know the MCC and MNC. If you do not, your HiAPN Global restore will fail in the next step.

a6 – Open HiAPN Global>Click To Restore APNs; and allow it to "Clean Original APN Settings" to install all the APN's in your modified apnlist_backup.xml file.
    Note: If you have any errors in your edited apnlist_backup.xml file, this restore will fail! Go back and carefully look for errors in what you have edited until you get the confirmation that says "Revover Sucess" (The typos are built into the program! It means Recover Success.)

a7 – You can optionally use APN Manager Pro>APN List and check that the APN includes your new choices (APN Manager Pro in my SGS3 cannot do anything else or it will crash) and to check to make sure that APN for now is still set to LTE-Verizon Internet or EHRPD – Verizon Internet (they will be highlighted). At his point, your phone should still be fully functional in the US with Verizon LTE.

Below are several sites to check if you do not know the correct information. I cannot guarantee that this information is current. What I did is leave the US with several options (for each country I was going to visit) already loaded into the APN file data so I could be ready for several possible providers. You may only need to enter some of this information to get data working (I did not try phone or MMS use). In some cases it may be as little as just the APN Name to display and the correct GPRS APN, while other providers may require the user names or passwords or more for full functionality. Please report your successful requirements in the thread.

http://www.flexispy.com/Mobile APN Setting to use GPRS.htm
    http://blog.rebelsimcard.com/worldwide-network-gprsedge3g-network-apn-settings.htm

When overseas, I did the following steps to go from LTE to GSM:

b1 – turn off phone, pull out battery and put in micro SIM from your foreign country (I was using MTS in Russia and DNA in Finland, but was prepared for several other providers). DON’T LOSE YOUR VERIZON LTE SIM!
    b2 – turn phone back on and turn off wifi
    b3 – use Phone Info app to change preferred network type "Global" (click on Device Information and scroll down for first box to change). Some have reported that other choices were needed for their providers, so you may have to experiment.
    b4 – if you need to still edit APN information or cannot find your correct APN repeat steps a5 thru a7, otherwise proceed to step b5
    b5 – then select “Click to Autoset APN’s” or hit "Net" one change at a time until you rotate to the correct APN
    b6 – go to Airplane Mode, then turn off Airplane Mode (this helps reset the radio, but may not be required)
    b7 – go to Settings>More Setting>Mobile Network and make sure that is not grayed out. If not there, try going back to HiAPN Global and doing the "Net" cycle again.
    b8 – check Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>then the first instance of Network Mode (before Access Point Names), and make sure it says Global mode or another choice that works for you provider (If not, go back to step b3).
    b9 – check Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names to make sure correct APN is selected. (If not, select it here or go back to step b5 if you must).
    b10 – check Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>then the second instance of Network Mode (after Access Point Names), and make sure it says GSM/WCDMA (Auto Mode), at least that is what I needed in Europe. Some providers may need other selections and you may have to experiment.
    b11 – reboot phone, you should have the SIM card working. I HIGHLY SUGGEST that people use Open Signal Maps app, and put the widget that comes with this in a 1x2 format on one of your screens. This shows exactly what is happening as far as provider, signal strength, and type of signal. This is where I could see that I got 3g, 3.5g and 4g service from time to time in Moscow and Helsinki .
    b12 – Troubleshooting ISSUE: There have been reports of problems with the phone app crashing. If this happens, try restoring your "com.android.phone" app in Titanium Backup. I'm still looking for confirmation that this fixes any issues, so please post to the thread if you have this problem and let us know if this fix works, or if it does not.

To return to Verizon LTE:

c1 – use Phone Info app to change preferred network to “LTE/CDMA/EvDo”.
    c2 – pull battery and put Verizon LTE micro SIM card back in.
    c3 – power up phone (at this point you might be working properly already, and you are good to go!)
    c4 – turn off wi-fi (turn back on later when needed)
    c5 – open HiAPN Global and hit "Net" one change at a time until you rotate to VZWINTERNET
    c6 – use APN Manager Pro to check to see if it is set to LTE-Verizon Internet or EHRPD – Verizon Internet (they will be highlighted)
    c7 – check Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names to make sure correct APN is selected. I use "LTE-Verizon Internet" here in North Carolina. (If not, go back to step c5).

If this fails and your phone is unrecoverable:

d1 – reset phone to non-rooted stock, http://smartphonefix.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-return-back-samsung-galaxy-s3-to.html
    d2 – do full phone reset,
    d3 – re-root
    d4 – re-clockworkmod
    d5 – restore ROM through recovery mode.

If anyone sees any problem, please let me know. I'll be glad to private message you if you have questions or problems I might help with.
    Hopes this helps others as much as it saved my ability to function abroad with minimal foreign language knowledge.
    For me, having full time access to Maps, Wikipedia, Google Translate, Skype, Subway apps, etc., made all the difference in having a great vacation.
    Most European providers will have a SIM card package with unlimited or a lot of data only, which was all I needed (phone calls are through Skype). My costs were around $3 a day.

Need HELP TESTING simplified method.

Thanks to Beemer533 for informing me that I can use Titanium Backup Pro (which I have always had) to set APN Manager Pro as a system app, I have a revised and simplified method for this process. But I need someone to test and see if the steps work correctly, as I am no longer overseas to test.

If you can, follow the steps in section A and B (and C if you can) and let me know if this all works OK...especially if there are no phone call out problems. If I can get working confirmation, I will modify the OP to reflect this process. Let me know where you are, and who your provider is.

I have had success with my SGS3 in the following places:
    UK using Vodaphone
    Rome using TIM
    Russia using MTC
    Finland using DNA
    India using Vodaphone
    Nepal using Ncell
    In each place I bought a data package and made all my calls through skype.

THANKS!!!!

A: Preliminary steps that were done before leaving the US:

a1 – From Google Play store install the following apps if you do not have them: APN Manager Pro (81 Square), Phone Info (sc@taiwan), Titanium Backup Pro , ES File Explorer and Open Signal Maps. You may have to pay a few bucks for some of these pro versions, but they are required.

a2 – In Titanium Backup Pro, go to Backup/Restore, find and “long select” APN Manager Pro, and then select “Convert to system app”.

a3 – Open APN Manager Pro, select Insert APN, and input the data needed from your desired service provider (see note 1 below for help). When done, go to APN List and make sure your current APN’s and the new APN’s are both there. What I did was to leave the US with several options for each country I was going to visit already loaded into the APN list so I could be ready for several possible providers. At this point, your phone should still be fully functional in the US with Verizon LTE.

B: When overseas, I did the following steps to go from LTE to GSM:

b1 – Turn off phone, pull out battery and put in micro SIM from your foreign country. DON’T LOSE YOUR VERIZON LTE SIM! Turn phone back on and turn off Wi-Fi.

b2 – Use Phone Info app to change preferred network type "Global" (click on Device Information and scroll down to the first box to change). Some have reported that other choices were needed for their providers, so you may have to experiment.

b3 – Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names and select the correct APN. I believe that only APN’s that your SIM recognizes will show on this list. (If it’s not here, go back to step a3 and enter the needed APN data).

b4 – Reboot phone. You should have the SIM card working for phone and data.

C: To return to Verizon LTE:

c1 – Use Phone Info app to change preferred network to “LTE/CDMA/EvDo” (click on Device Information and scroll down to the first box to change).

c2 – Turn off Wi-Fi, pull battery and put Verizon LTE micro SIM card back in.

c3 – Power up phone (at this point you might be working properly already, and you are good to go!)

c4 – If needed, go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names and select LTE-Verizon Internet (which is my default here in North Carolina).

Notes and Troubleshooting Issues:

1. Below are several sites to check if you do not know the correct information. I cannot guarantee that this information is current. You may only need to enter some of this information to get data working (I did not try phone or MMS use). In some cases it may be as little as just the APN Name to display and the correct APN (sometimes referred to as GPRS APN), while other providers may require the user names or passwords or more for full functionality. Please report your successful requirements in the thread.

h t t p ://www.flexispy.com/Mobile%20APN%20Setting%20to%20use%20GPRS.htm
    h t t p ://blog.rebelsimcard.com/worldwide-network-gprsedge3g-network-apn-settings.htm

2. I highly suggest that you use Open Titanium Backup Pro and backup your phone apps and data. Go to Backup/Restore; then select the check mark in the upper right corner; then select RUN "Backup all user apps and system data"; and then select the green check mark in the upper right corner. Let this run until complete. You can restore any of your apps from here in the future.

3. I highly suggest that people use the Open Signal Maps widget that comes with this app, and install it in a 1x2 format on one of your screens. This shows exactly what is happening as far as provider, signal strength, and type of signal. This is where I could see that I got 3g, 3.5g and 4g service from time to time in Moscow and Helsinki. I keep this on my home page here in the US.

4. When using your phone in the US or overseas with a non-verizon SIM card, you have a constant icon warning in the notification bar referring to a "Non-Verizon SIM". If this bothers you and you want to remove it, the answer is to freeze or delete the app Setup wizard 1.0 (its icon is a red check mark with a magic wand). Using Titanium Backup, freeze or delete Setup wizard 1.0; or if you freeze/delete with AntTek App Manager, it is the second listed Setup wizard and contains 24.00kb. The app contains very little data in the database (three csv files with nothing of interest), and hopefully can be safely frozen. I have no idea why it is in the phone to begin with.

5. I also suggest learning the great features of ES File Explorer. If will allow you to easily get to your all your files (including system and root). Open it and go to menu>settings; then check "up to root", "root explorer", "mount file system" and "backup system app". Now you have full access and control of your phone files. The external card is found at /mnt/extSdCard, while the internal SD card is at /mnt/sdcard. You can set favorites to get to places you want to visit fast, and that is a plus to this file program.

6. Some phones have the option to check the following: Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network (if available)>then the first instance of Network Mode (before Access Point Names), and make sure it says Global mode or another choice that works for your provider (If not, go back to step b2).

7. Some phones have the option to check the following: Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Network (if available)>then the second instance of Network Mode (after Access Point Names), and make sure it says GSM/WCDMA (Auto Mode), at least that is what I needed in Europe. Some providers may need other selections and you may have to experiment.

8. There have been reports of problems with the phone app crashing using the prior, more complex method. If this happens, try restoring your "com.android.phone" app with Titanium Backup. I'm still looking for confirmation that this fixes any issues, so please post to the thread if you have this problem and let us know if this fix works, or if it does not.

Thanks for Beemer533 for making aware that I can use Titanium Backup to make App Manager Pro a system app! This is the way I had changed APN’s with my old HTC Incredible 2.

Easier Global Mode Tutorial

Hey Guys, as a Cheap B*stard who wanted to use his phone in China and not pay for apps or a new phone, I found that many of these steps were a little unnecessary, and the preparation steps not needed unless you wont have Wifi in your country destination. And I can confirm that HiAPN does in fact work splendidly, despite being a sketchy Chinese app. If I reference a Paid app, I didn't use it, but it might make things easier for you.

Instructions using only HiAPN Global:
    • Root Phone
    • Install HiAPN Global
      • it will ask to install itself as root due to the v4+ inability for market apps to change APN settings. Say yes.
      • Note: At this point, if you put in your new SIM and reboot, HiAPN may launch and suggest the right settings for you automagically. I can't confirm this but it happened to me when I got my actual SIM, after borrowing a friends to make sure it would work
    • Backup your APN settings if you are on custom rom or OCD about this, but the Stock rom has built-in restore settings (more on this later)
    • Tap "Click to ManSet APNs" and select your carrier recognized by the SIM.
      • If your APN settings aren't there, too bad, I havent tested it elsewhere. Check alternative methods below.
    • Change to global mode if you haven't already.
      • If you were a derp like me and turned off mobile data for fear of roaming charges, turn it back on (if you bought data on your new sim card anyways)
    • Reset for good measure
    • Feel free to confirm the APN settings stuck in Settings/More/Mobile networks/Access Point Names
    You should now be Global. Celebrate. :highfive:
    The phone might complain about a non-supported SIM, so either forceclose the "Setup Wizard" app after every reboot, or freeze it with Titanium pro to get rid of the notification. (or get rid of the app however you want, like renaming the APK or something. No guarantees here though)

Before I get Q's, yes, data, voice, SMS and MMS work, using China Unicom. I cannot confirm HSPA+, but if that means the H+ icon shows where 3G is normally, then I'm getting that too. Otherwise, 6753kbps down and 71 up, according to speedtest.net. (which wasted a good 10MB of my measly 60MB a month. I did it for you guys)

Actually, I didnt check MMS yet, but I neither expected to need it nor really care anyways. You're on your own

If HiAPN doesnt have your settings, try:
    "Offline SIM APN"
    • It will complain about not being a system app, so either use Titanium pro, or do it yourself (Move the apk to /system/app and change permissions; google it).
    • Tap the Search APN settings button and select your carrier if recognized.
    • If the app was moved to a System app properly, it should be able to apply the settings it pulls up when you press the Add these Settings button. If not, at least you have your correct settings for the next step.

If that STILL doesn't work in your unknown country in the middle of nowhere:
    • Follow the OP to backup APN settings with HiAPN, edit the XML manually with your known settings, and restore the edited backup to insert your new APN like a sneaky virus hacking your cell's DNA.

To revert back when you return:
    • in Settings/More/Mobile networks/Access Point Names, press menu button - Reset to Default.
    • Verizon settings now restored. Pop back in your SIM before or after, not totally important the order.
      • If you really don't want to keep root for whatever reason, follow those OP instructions too. (But root is awesome, so why bother.)

Props to the community for making this happen.
    Remove warning for Non-Verizon SIM - [SOLVED]

Looks like topgnat and I have both been working on this warning removal. He does have it above in his inclusive list of possibilities.

From my testing last week with a foreign SIM in my phone here in the US, I narrowed down the answer to freezing or deleting the app Setup wizard 1.0 (its icon is a red check mark with a magic wand). Using Titanium Backup, it is called Setup wizard 1.0; or if you freeze/delete with AntTek App Manager, it is the second listed Setup wizard and contains 24.00kb.

The app contains very little data in the database (three csv files with nothing of interest), and hopefully can be safely frozen. I have no idea why it is in the phone to begin with.