[Port] [APK] KitKat Google Caller ID Dialer

Search This thread

taranfx

May 23, 2010
Mountain view, CA
geeknizer.com
AOSP KitKat ROMs have a simple phone dialer without Google's Caller ID.

dialer-marketing-screenshots-landing_framed.png

Google Caller ID lets you:
1. search for places, businesses within the dialer
2. Display caller id of businesses when they call you
3. [In 2014] Display caller id of any Google user.

Essentially, a TrueCaller alternative

More about Google caller id https://plus.google.com/photos/+android/albums/5942570061497141729

How to Get it.

Pre-requisites:
- Rooted Kitkat AOSP ROM

How to:
1. Copy GoogleDialer.apk into /system/priv-app
2. Change permissions to RW-R--R--
3. Don't delete any other files like Dialer.apk Teleservice.apk, they are required
4. and reboot

Attachments

• GoogleDialer.apk
    2.3 MB · Views: 39,611
Last edited:
G

GuestK00310

Is it possible to get the new Download app ported too?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

shanyel

Oct 18, 2010
The trick is to leave the dialer as is and add Google dialer in addition. You'll have 2 phones after reboot.
The new dialer will allow you to search businesses.
Didn't check the incoming call functionality though.
BTW, the new dialer is missing the nice statistics tab...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

taranfx

May 23, 2010
Mountain view, CA
geeknizer.com
Reactions: letsgotowawa

clay21

Oct 16, 2011
So after noticing that the Sense Kit Kat dialer does not have the new search feature i had a bit of a play around. I took the dialer.apk, contacts.apk and contacts odex.apk from GP rom and pushed them to priv-app with the correct permissions and they seem to work. The only thing i noticed is the dialer doesn't have the all contacts button on the main screen. You have to open the menu for all contacts. I love the new search feature and i hope htc add it to the stock dialer with a future update.

Attachments

• P1010387.jpg
    P1010387.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 2,648
  • P1010388.jpg
    P1010388.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 2,346
Last edited:
Reactions: altimax98

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
So after noticing that the Sense Kit Kat dialer does not have the new search feature i had a bit of a play around. I took the dialer.apk, contacts.apk and contacts odex.apk from GP rom and pushed them to priv-app with the correct permissions and they seem to work. The only thing i noticed is the dialer doesn't have the all contacts button on the main screen. You have to open the menu for all contacts. I love the new search feature and i hope htc add it to the stock dialer with a future update.

How are incoming calls handled having 2 dialers? Or did you disable the stock one?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

clay21

Oct 16, 2011
How are incoming calls handled having 2 dialers? Or did you disable the stock one?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Calls are still handled with the stock dialer. I played further by pushing the contacts provider.apk and contacts provider odexed.apk from GE rom. This made the GE dialer fully functional but caused Sense dialer to fc constantly even after i froze it. Im sure a good app porter can make this work. For now i will just keep the GE dialer and use it as my yellow pages.

Reactions: dupsatou

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004

Nice work, the only thing that would make me go back to Google edition from kitkat / Sense 5.5 is the google edition dialer. Are you able to provide the files and instructions on how to do this?

Calls are still handled with the stock dialer. I played further by pushing the contacts provider.apk and contacts provider odexed.apk from GE rom. This made the GE dialer fully functional but caused Sense dialer to fc constantly even after i froze it. Im sure a good app porter can make this work. For now i will just keep the GE dialer and use it as my yellow pages.

Can you use the GE dialer to call out then use the sense dialer for incoming calls until someone manages to fully port it?

Thanks

saj2001ind

Dec 24, 2007

can you pls post the apks ? and does the GE stock dialer works all fine ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AOSP KitKat ROMs have a simple phone dialer without Google's Caller ID.

dialer-marketing-screenshots-landing_framed.png

Google Caller ID lets you:
    1. search for places, businesses within the dialer
    2. Display caller id of businesses when they call you
    3. [In 2014] Display caller id of any Google user.

Essentially, a TrueCaller alternative

More about Google caller id https://plus.google.com/photos/+android/albums/5942570061497141729

How to Get it.

Pre-requisites:
    - Rooted Kitkat AOSP ROM

How to:
    1. Copy GoogleDialer.apk into /system/priv-app
    2. Change permissions to RW-R--R--
    3. Don't delete any other files like Dialer.apk Teleservice.apk, they are required
    4. and reboot
    I made a flashable zip for the Google Dialer. The Dialer should function the same as if the instructions in the first post were used.

Google Dialer

EDIT: This flashable just adds the Google Dialer to /system/priv-app. Your stock dialer will be maintained.
    I came across this "how to" for the Kit Kat 4.4.3 dialer here for the HTC One M7
    I haven't tried it yet since I'm at work but may take a shot at it later
    Install goggle dialer apk

here is a good tutorial with screenshots to install the google dialer apk http://goo.gl/QOzBGq
    Anybody have an idea why I get this pop up when trying to copy/paste into /system/app?
    ynajy6a3.jpg

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Make sure your phone is rooted and that you have mounted the system as R/W as detailed out here - link.