[Guide] How to fix 4.2 lag

Search This thread

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi all,
I recently upgraded to 4.2q on my Nexus 7, and I experienced a lot of lag on it. I was browsing the Internet, and I found this on the internet which has worked well for me, and now I have no lag. I don't know if this has already been posted here.
This is what I found on the internet:

"If you’re one of the poor users experiencing major lag on your Nexus 7 after the Android 4.2 update, here’s what you can do to remedy the situation:

Open your app drawer
Open Google Currents
Click the three dots in the top right corner of the app
Tap “Settings”
Uncheck “Enable Background Sync”
Reboot your Nexus 7

That’s it. You shouldn’t experience anymore lag and you probably won’t even need to reboot. For me the difference was night and day. I went an extra step and disabled the app completely just in case. If you want to disable Google Currents for good measure, you can do so by going into your main Settings menu, clicking Apps, swiping to the All category, clicking Google Currents, and then clicking Disable. (If you do this you won’t be able to use Google Currents anymore, but at least your Nexus 7 will be back to normal."

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bbbbarryc

Jul 31, 2012
This fixed the lag issues instantly. Thanks so much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

chismay

May 5, 2011
LONDON
WOW

really? google currents is what is lagging everyone on 4.2?

thats weird , totally weird to be that reason and....totally weird easy solution, think your gonna get many thanks for this well done for the find!
still on 4.1 here cos heard of laggy issues , when i do update ill remember this though :highfive::good:

ps. might be good to let the guys in "androidforums" know too:good:

Cmmts

Aug 4, 2010
Oulu
If this really works, it is the most representative of the issue I have with Android. How is a normal user going to monitor all apps and deduce what app or setting is causing the issue. So... does this really work or is it just imagination?

Reactions: luchod

Flanimal

Apr 18, 2008
I read this on Drippler too, disabled currents background sync, and have noticed the significant improvement. Im surprised there arnt task managers to identify such a promlem. I thought these rooters and flashers could run terminal commands. No one ran ps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: platodd

bkmaracas

Jul 10, 2012
Cardiff
This doesn't cure lag across the board, I suspect my continuing lag issues are due to having added a user.
Added account for my GF so she could see how nice jelly bean is and that iOS doesn't rule the world, and the more she's used it more laggy my use of n7 has become.
Ok I can fix by deleting it but its quite a serious issue so hope Google fix quick.
Sent from my Nexu

Reactions: OliverB95

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
This doesn't cure lag across the board, I suspect my continuing lag issues are due to having added a user.
Added account for my GF so she could see how nice jelly bean is and that iOS doesn't rule the world, and the more she's used it more laggy my use of n7 has become.
Ok I can fix by deleting it but its quite a serious issue so hope Google fix quick.
Sent from my Nexu

Wow, you were so lagged that you couldn't even get the "s" in 'Nexus' to register in time for your post.
:D

Reactions: HarmonyFlame

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
~~ATTENTION~~

This guide was PLAGIARIZED directly from TalkAndroid.com. You can find the ORIGINAL story here.

http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/

This post should be reported and removed.Thanks.

~~ATTENTION~~

How was it plagerized the OP said he found it on the internet just didn't say where. He didn't claim he came up with it himself which would be plagiarized material at that point

sent from my Nexus 7 while my SGS3 rests!

nolig2278

Mar 12, 2009
Pembroke Pines
I had already frozen the damn thing and many other Google apps as they ate at my plan.
I can't stand asps that just do whatever they want whenever they want.

alexthearmo

Nov 22, 2009
www.myspace.com
How was it plagerized the OP said he found it on the internet just didn't say where. He didn't claim he came up with it himself which would be plagiarized material at that point

It's plagiarized because it directly quotes a large portion of the article without citing the source.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

It's plagiarized because it directly quotes a large portion of the article without citing the source.

Edit: nice signature, by the way! :)

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
Sent from my Nexu

If you are rooted try temporarily unrooting. Root kills multiuser for me.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
How to cure lag and a bevy of other stupid problems that shouldn't have made it past a 5 year old let alone `professional' paid developers.

Step 1: Don't install 4.2
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit

dellenrules

Mar 22, 2011
I actually get no lag at all on my nexus 7.
Used "forever gone (SD card cleaner)" from the market after updating.
Currents sync was already disabled prior to my update. It was an issue since 4.1 that's noting new and just part of the reason for the lag.
Forever Gone fixed my lag and I'm happy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I recently upgraded to 4.2q on my Nexus 7, and I experienced a lot of lag on it. I was browsing the Internet, and I found this on the internet which has worked well for me, and now I have no lag. I don't know if this has already been posted here.
    This is what I found on the internet:

"If you’re one of the poor users experiencing major lag on your Nexus 7 after the Android 4.2 update, here’s what you can do to remedy the situation:

Open your app drawer
    Open Google Currents
    Click the three dots in the top right corner of the app
    Tap “Settings”
    Uncheck “Enable Background Sync”
    Reboot your Nexus 7

That’s it. You shouldn’t experience anymore lag and you probably won’t even need to reboot. For me the difference was night and day. I went an extra step and disabled the app completely just in case. If you want to disable Google Currents for good measure, you can do so by going into your main Settings menu, clicking Apps, swiping to the All category, clicking Google Currents, and then clicking Disable. (If you do this you won’t be able to use Google Currents anymore, but at least your Nexus 7 will be back to normal."

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    You made it onto Android Authority, very cool. Thanks for the fix, it works like a charm.

Link to the article: http://www.androidauthority.com/xda...ed-nexus-7-lag-issue-after-4-2-update-134281/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Actually, the OP took this post word for word from a TalkAndroid.com post. I know because I wrote that post two days ago: http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/
    Don't forget to run forever gone its a miracle worker

On the 4.2.2 update and I am not receiving any lag they diffidently fixed it.

How to cure lag and a bevy of other stupid problems that shouldn't have made it past a 5 year old let alone `professional' paid developers.

Step 1: Don't install 4.2
    Step 2: ????
    Step 3: Profit

Grats! Least useful post I have seen on this forum.