[Q] Problems calling with multiple ROMs

Search This thread

evilwoodchuck

Apr 18, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 (Tmobile). When I had the stock ROM the phone worked fine, but now I am having the same issue with multiple ROMs.

Whenever I make or receive a phone call, the screen turns black (LED off and everything) and it will not come back on until the other person has hung up (I can't, because I have no buttons). I have tried Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 stable, Cyanogen mod 11 nightly (newest), and Paranoid Android 4.4.2 BETA 3.

I read on another forum that this may have something to do with the proximity sensor, and I went to settings>devices>more and under "Sensors and Motors" there is only vibrator intensity. I also checked the call app settings and there are not any options relating to proximity sensor. I also tried several USSD codes to check that which I found online but have been unsuccessful in getting any of those to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

EvilWoodchuck

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Try a CM 11 Stable (Don't go for latest nightly but the last stable) and recalibrate your Sensors. Make a CLEAN install no restoring apps or data. Also do you happen to have any Kernel tweaks of any sort ?

Last but not least, try a single light tap on Power button. That will bring the screen back.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If that fails, odin full stock firmware to see if it helps. If not its likely a faulty sensor. Easy and cheap to fix surprisingly.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

evilwoodchuck

Apr 18, 2014
Try a CM 11 Stable (Don't go for latest nightly but the last stable) and recalibrate your Sensors. Make a CLEAN install no restoring apps or data. Also do you happen to have any Kernel tweaks of any sort ?

Last but not least, try a single light tap on Power button. That will bring the screen back.

Got it working, had to manually recalibrate the proximity sensor with terminal emulator. Thanks for the help guys :cool:

Edit:

I am not able to post links yet, but here is the method used for recalibration if anyone needs it (credit to Viraj Kshatriya of androidlegend.com):

Prerequisites:
1. Enable USB Debugging
2. Root Access
3. Terminal Emulator

All commands will be done in terminal emulator as Root:

1. Enter superuser mode
su <enter>
2. Obtain offset value
cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/prox_cal <enter>
This will return a few numbers, the first one is your offset value
3. Obtain normal value
cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/state <enter>
This will return one number, this is your normal value
4. Modify /efs/prox_cal
Take your offset value, and add it with your normal value
Convert sum of these to hexadecimal
echo -en $ '\x**' > /efs/prox_cal (** being your hexadecimal number from above step) <enter>
chown system:system /efs/prox_cal <enter>
chmod 644 /efs/prox_cal <enter>
sync <enter>
reboot <enter>
5. Wait for phone to reboot and you should be good to go!!! :good:

EvilWoodchuck

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Care to share how you did that exactly? Good job getting it to work!
I am curious and im sure itll help others in the future though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts