Google Currents - another killer app

Search This thread
I live in Canada so can't download Currents from the Market, but you can easily find an .apk with a quick Google search.

Currents is exactly the killer app I was looking for to read my Reader streams. I love Flipboard on the iPad and this is its equivalent for Android tablets. It's extremely smooth and looks awesome on the GT 7.7.

This makes all the difference!!!

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
I agree currents is a pretty great app. It seems a little aggressive on the data and battery use but that can be manually stopped. It can make almost any article based site look good and the sites that have custom made currents look great.

I agree currents is a pretty great app. It seems a little aggressive on the data and battery use but that can be manually stopped. It can make almost any article based site look good and the sites that have custom made currents look great.

I have it set-up for 6-hour intervals. My GT is WiFi only but I left it on all day (sporadic use to be honest) with syncing Email/Calendar, Twitter, FB in background (as well as Currents...) and it only consumed 25% in over 10 hours.

jakenz

Sep 8, 2010
The Windy City
Now we're talking!

Superb app! Marvellous to encounter a slick purpose built tablet app, and looks phenomenal on the 7.7.

Guaranteed recipe to wow your mates - 7.7 + Currents + 500px. Job done.

Last edited:

ang1

May 4, 2008
My only issue with google currents is the "500px magazine" (photos). When you click on one of the photos, then swiping to next/previous photo is not responsive at all :( most probably is because it waits for the next/previous photo to be loaded

Lssar

Sep 25, 2011
Hey, do you get the pictures of + 500px in G. Currents in full screen? I can only see them in the upper left corner, about 50% size of the screen ...

a_hadada

Dec 19, 2008
Google Currents Bug

I seem to have an issue, which no one else mentioned here (or anywhere else on the web yet). I used Google Currents on Asus Transformer with no problems, but same app on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 does not display the articles properly, there is a overlapping column on the right side (as seen on the picture). I have tried all the possible settings, small/medium/large font...the problem remains. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause and solution??? Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• picanom-picture-02_2012-02-26.jpg
    picanom-picture-02_2012-02-26.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 166
  • picanom-picture-03_2012-02-26.jpg
    picanom-picture-03_2012-02-26.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
I seem to have an issue, which no one else mentioned here (or anywhere else on the web yet). I used Google Currents on Asus Transformer with no problems, but same app on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 does not display the articles properly, there is a overlapping column on the right side (as seen on the picture). I have tried all the possible settings, small/medium/large font...the problem remains. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause and solution??? Thanks in advance!!!

did you change your lcd density?

thegrau

Jan 18, 2008
Montagny-près-Yverdon
I have the same issue with columns all messed up. I'm running rooted stock without density change.

Then again ; I live in Switzerland where Currents is not available so I got it through Market Enabler. Don't know if that could create the issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

a_hadada

Dec 19, 2008
Ok, resolved. The density needed to be changed. You can achieved that with a free app from android market. Btw, no sarcasm in my previous post whatsoever. I guess computercommunication makes people a tad paranoid. ;)

thegrau

Jan 18, 2008
Montagny-près-Yverdon
Uh... changing density is hardly a solution. I mean sure one can do that, but the app itself should support different resolution/size/density to be considered a "killer app" !

What I really don't get is how people have it working without changing density as I haven't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App