Disable apps

Search This thread

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
What are the recommended apps to disable and/or get rid of? I did a factory reset because of nasty wake locks and trying to figure everything that can be disabled without losing features or anything. I know some of this is subjective, but still like some ideas. Thanks. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mehul mehta

Jan 22, 2013
New Delhi
List of them

What are the recommended apps to disable and/or get rid of? I did a factory reset because of nasty wake locks and trying to figure everything that can be disabled without losing features or anything. I know some of this is subjective, but still like some ideas. Thanks. :)

1.if you have two tts then disable one!
2.if you dont use apk's like chaton you can uninstall or disable it!
3.you can disable widgets that you dont use!
4.you can disable system lockscreen if you are using any second lockscreen from playstore.
5.disable useless apk's like samsung hub, watchon, Samsung apps etc.
Hit thanks if i helped you!

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
1.if you have two tts then disable one!
2.if you dont use apk's like chaton you can uninstall or disable it!
3.you can disable widgets that you dont use!
4.you can disable system lockscreen if you are using any second lockscreen from playstore.
5.disable useless apk's like samsung hub, watchon, Samsung apps etc.
Hit thanks if i helped you!

What is tts? I think part of the problem is that I don't know what certain things are. For example, wh as the is the travel wallpaper?

Mehul mehta

Jan 22, 2013
New Delhi
What is tts? I think part of the problem is that I don't know what certain things are. For example, wh as the is the travel wallpaper?

Tts is text to speech! Its used in s voice! And travel wallpaper is for wallpaper scrolling! If you dont want your wallpaper to scroll then you can diaable it! Anything else?

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
Tts is text to speech! Its used in s voice! And travel wallpaper is for wallpaper scrolling! If you dont want your wallpaper to scroll then you can diaable it! Anything else?

You said if you have two tts, where would I find them? One isn't showing up under all my apps.

Mehul mehta

Jan 22, 2013
New Delhi
Tts

Two tts means mybe you have google tts and samsung tts both on your s5!so you u can disable one! :)
Go to settings and then to application manager in general tab!
Go to system apps and go through the list of apps!
Background apks like tts never show in the apps!

Last edited:

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
Two tts means mybe you have google tts and samsung tts both on your s5!so you u can disable one! :)
Go to settings and then to application manager in general tab!
Go to system apps and go through the list of apps!
Background apks like tts never show in the apps!

OK I see them. Which one should I disable, Samsung or google?

jpmcnown

Jan 13, 2011
Topeka, Kansas
Until I can completely remove some bloat, I have the following turned off so far. It's by no means a thorough list.

Accessories
Audible
BlurbCheckout
Calculator (installed 3rd party Calculator)
Caller Name ID
Cloud
FamilyBase Companion
Google Play Books
HP Print Service Plugin
Message+ (Didn't even bother to figer out what this is before I killed it)
Messages (installed Hangouts and/or 3rd party messagin app)
My InfoZone
NFL Mobile
Smart Remote (downloaded the latest WatchOn app from Samsung)
Swype
Verizon Location Agent
Verizon Support and Protection
Verizon Tones
VZ Navigator

As far as the text-to-speech deletion goes, just uninstall whichever ones you don't anticipate needing.
Settings>Language and Input>text-to-speech options>Listen to an example. Really it's personal preference, and uninstalling unused tts voice data only serves to free up internal storage. For example, the "high quality" female English US voice for Google TTS is 244MB, The Samsung high quality voice data is around 90MB per language/gender.

Mehul mehta

Jan 22, 2013
New Delhi
Won't let me disable that one lol

Samsung has launched s5 devices with less permissions do to whatever you want! So maybe you have to root your device (which is not possible right now bcoz it will cut your warranty out) So another solution for it is try to search for an app on play store which disables system applications! Without root

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
I've turned off the following:

Accessories
Audible
Blurb Checkout
Caller Name ID
Family Base Companion
Flipboard
Google Play Books
Google Play Newsstand
IMDb
Isis Mobile Wallet
My InfoZone
My Magazine
NFL Mobile
Samsung Link Platform
Slacker
Smart Remote
VZ Navigator

ravenofdoom

Mar 18, 2011
This is my complete list... everything still works (except the Samsung bloat crap like S-voice and the verizon garbage pre-loaded). I did turn off some Google apps that were needless, and the Samsung fitness stuff (e.g. ANT+ connection, fitness, etc.), in addition to other things (S-pen, fonts, etc.)

Attachments

• GS5_Disabled_Apps.jpg
    GS5_Disabled_Apps.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
This is my complete list... everything still works (except the Samsung bloat crap like S-voice and the verizon garbage pre-loaded). I did turn off some Google apps that were needless, and the Samsung fitness stuff (e.g. ANT+ connection, fitness, etc.), in addition to other things (S-pen, fonts, etc.)

What are things like samsung billing, the app that just says samsung galaxy, and samsung link? What do they do?

ravenofdoom

Mar 18, 2011
What are things like samsung billing, the app that just says samsung galaxy, and samsung link? What do they do?

I believe samsung billing is for app purchases through their proprietary app store
Samsung Link is a protocol for connecting only with samsung TV's/laptops - has functionality for screen-mirroring, DLNA only with samsung branded devices.
Samsung Galaxy... I'm not entirely sure what it does to be honest. I've tested fairly extensively if any functionality / apps / services are broken as a result, and everything still seems to work fine. I have a suspicion that this is related to a tutorial/demo function.

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
I believe samsung billing is for app purchases through their proprietary app store
Samsung Link is a protocol for connecting only with samsung TV's/laptops - has functionality for screen-mirroring, DLNA only with samsung branded devices.
Samsung Galaxy... I'm not entirely sure what it does to be honest. I've tested fairly extensively if any functionality / apps / services are broken as a result, and everything still seems to work fine. I have a suspicion that this is related to a tutorial/demo function.

Ah ok, thanks! I see that you have the "Downloads" app turned off. What does that app do? I know it's part of media, which is giving me a lot of wakelocks. The three things that are part of "Media", can you uninstall all three, and what does each one do?

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011

bygava4a.jpg

pedu3u9a.jpg

This is with 2 hour 11 min screen on time. So Not Bad At All. (Not sure why, but keyboard randomly does that) but it is waking up a lot.

ravenofdoom

Mar 18, 2011
Ah ok, thanks! I see that you have the "Downloads" app turned off. What does that app do? I know it's part of media, which is giving me a lot of wakelocks. The three things that are part of "Media", can you uninstall all three, and what does each one do?

Downloads app is just an app that shows a history/list of everything you've recently downloaded (e.g. in the downloads folder). I prefer to use ESFileExplorer as it's more versatile as a file manager, and I don't care for an app that tracks file downloads/history.

In previous android versions, I believe the Media app was part of what cached/listed files such as images (thumbnails), music files, docs, etc. I vaguely recall disabling it in the past to find that all my MP3's and photos no longer appeared in the gallery/google music app. I would not disable it if my memory serves me correctly.

Yeah, your battery usage looks about in-par with mine. I came from a GNex and was used to seeing display always overtaking androidOS/systemUI (man, that phone had atrocious battery life and screen-on time)... the GS5 has such a great power-sipping display that I came to the same surprise as you to find it ranks on-par/sometimes below OS usage in a normal day. The battery life on this phone rocks.

EDIT: Media usage will sometimes spike if you've recently added a bunch of new files (photos, mp3's, etc.) to your device, as it's scanning/caching/indexing lists to the files. I'd give it a day or two if that's the case, and you'll see it won't consume much of anything once things are static on your phone.

Last edited:

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
Downloads app is just an app that shows a history/list of everything you've recently downloaded (e.g. in the downloads folder). I prefer to use ESFileExplorer as it's more versatile as a file manager, and I don't care for an app that tracks file downloads/history.

In previous android versions, I believe the Media app was part of what cached/listed files such as images (thumbnails), music files, docs, etc. I vaguely recall disabling it in the past to find that all my MP3's and photos no longer appeared in the gallery/google music app. I would not disable it if my memory serves me correctly.

Yeah, your battery usage looks about in-par with mine. I came from a GNex and was used to seeing display always overtaking androidOS/systemUI (man, that phone had atrocious battery life and screen-on time)... the GS5 has such a great power-sipping display that I came to the same surprise as you to find it ranks on-par/sometimes below OS usage in a normal day. The battery life on this phone rocks.

EDIT: Media usage will sometimes spike if you've recently added a bunch of new files (photos, mp3's, etc.) to your device, as it's scanning/caching/indexing lists to the files. I'd give it a day or two if that's the case, and you'll see it won't consume much of anything once things are static on your phone.

Oh OK. I see. So perfectly safe to disable downloads. What about the media app itself? Do you have it disabled? That screen shot with the high media usage, I'm not sure we have it was so high. It's first time it has been like that and I haven't added any more music. Another question.
2a4yquma.jpg

Do You Know What The Chrome sandbox is? And does your keyboard ever do that thing with the capital letters?

ravenofdoom

Mar 18, 2011
Oh OK. I see. So perfectly safe to disable downloads. What about the media app itself? Do you have it disabled? That screen shot with the high media usage, I'm not sure we have it was so high. It's first time it has been like that and I haven't added any more music. Another question.
2a4yquma.jpg

Do You Know What The Chrome sandbox is? And does your keyboard ever do that thing with the capital letters?

I don't have the media app disabled and wouldn't recommend it. I also wouldn't disable chrome sandbox ( though I'm not sure of its function, its installed alongside the app so it may be a plugin for other apps).

Not sure what keyboard caps problem you're referring to. I use only the android keyboard (not Samsung nor Swype).