Bricked? APX mode?

Search This thread

wardy01

Dec 21, 2010
yeh i tryed to play dumb and say what is apx and so forth ... he said he would help me but he has the chats recodred and cant give out the info...

geuss its enabled upon root...

wph

May 27, 2010
Couldn't it be that just like the EVO 3D you need to intentionally brick your device to gain S-Off because otherwise you can't get into eMMC mode (Evo) or APX mode (One X)?

wph

May 27, 2010
And how did you intentionally brick it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I don't know how to do this, since you can't just pull the battery on the One X. The trick is that you somehow disrupt the hboot upgrading process, but how, that's beyond me. But my main point is, maybe there is no other way to enter APX mode than on a bricked device.

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
How about removing the USB cable?
I don't know how to do this, since you can't just pull the battery on the One X. The trick is that you somehow disrupt the hboot upgrading process, but how, that's beyond me. But my main point is, maybe there is no other way to enter APX mode than on a bricked device.

Sent from my HTC One X

Reactions: wph and Synoptex

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
He said that the phone started force closing after the drop and before the recovery. I am thinking it is a hardware issue now. It is still weird that the computer recognizes it as APX though. The battery was over 50% at time of recovery. Is the recommended level 30%?
So the recovery/reset finished successfully?

If not, this could be worth a try. Maybe let battery run out, such that it only has little to get into hboot. Run recovery and "hope" that battery runs out meanwhile. Anyone brave enough to try? ^^

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
So the recovery/reset finished successfully?

If not, this could be worth a try. Maybe let battery run out, such that it only has little to get into hboot. Run recovery and "hope" that battery runs out meanwhile. Anyone brave enough to try? ^^

Until we have a method to flash from apx mode then it might not be advisable. You could be bricked for a while

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
Holding power button for 10 secs supposedly simulates battery pull

wardy01

Dec 21, 2010
ok guys unsure if this is any help or any thing but i have my sbk number from my serial id. its my cpuid transferred into my sbk code any help at all ???

~Immo~

Apr 15, 2012
My device has started showing "APX" in device manager.

Battery is almost full but having serious issues with it occasionally booting (long story ill make a post later when i have some spare time)

schidddy

Feb 5, 2010
Schaffhausen
My device has started showing "APX" in device manager.

Battery is almost full but having serious issues with it occasionally booting (long story ill make a post later when i have some spare time)

hey m8 go to the s-off development thread in the general section, maybe u can help in there or also get helped with ur problem :)

~Immo~

Apr 15, 2012
Cheers ^_^ but i dont feel that this has achieved anymore then what they already have so far in the S-OFF thread =/

Anyway quick run through what happened...

I had dropped my device and was having no end of force close problems the same as the OP, I tried every thing from erasing data to flashing different roms with no such luck. I ended up trying to flash a RUU which seemed to make matters worse in that i could not boot my device at the press of a button but it would sometimes boot in the endless hours i have spent trying to fix -.-

Last resort i decided to try replicate the drop with my new paper weight and so far it seems to have fixed my device?

I know people have had the HOX open and had a good look inside, but im starting to think its an internal method to get the device into APX?

Ill report back later if im getting the same errors, if its all fixed ill drop again to see if i can get back into APX....

*Edit* I forgot to add that pressing power and either vol +/- would make device show as APX in device manager

Last edited:

DarkMio

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers ^_^ but i dont feel that this has achieved anymore then what they already have so far in the S-OFF thread =/

Anyway quick run through what happened...

I had dropped my device and was having no end of force close problems the same as the OP, I tried every thing from erasing data to flashing different roms with no such luck. I ended up trying to flash a RUU which seemed to make matters worse in that i could not boot my device at the press of a button but it would sometimes boot in the endless hours i have spent trying to fix -.-

Last resort i decided to try replicate the drop with my new paper weight and so far it seems to have fixed my device?

I know people have had the HOX open and had a good look inside, but im starting to think its an internal method to get the device into APX?

Ill report back later if im getting the same errors, if its all fixed ill drop again to see if i can get back into APX....

*Edit* I forgot to add that pressing power and either vol +/- would make device show as APX in device manager

The most ppl forget how APX should work.
Since the Tegra3 have its own communicationport, it isn't disable by the bootloader. Maybe (didn't read the engineerfiles) It's masked. I remember the old days of Nokia, where we had the black boxes and could flash anything we wanted to without a working phone, since its decreasing the costs for repairment when you can reflash a faulted memory.
APX here should be nearly easily accessable, but since we don't know anything how its masked, its a bit more complicated. You can't write hardware features, you can only disable them by production, and this would mean more costs for HTC for their own solution and really dump. Why not working with features, which are already implemented.

Also the bootloadwr have to detect a faulty Rom, which enables APX as not masked anymore. I'm still a fan of the idea to get some developers together which do these hardcore hardware fake stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

co@ch

Jan 22, 2012
Verona
Huawei MatePad Pro
The most ppl forget how APX should work.
Since the Tegra3 have its own communicationport, it isn't disable by the bootloader. Maybe (didn't read the engineerfiles) It's masked. I remember the old days of Nokia, where we had the black boxes and could flash anything we wanted to without a working phone, since its decreasing the costs for repairment when you can reflash a faulted memory.
APX here should be nearly easily accessable, but since we don't know anything how its masked, its a bit more complicated. You can't write hardware features, you can only disable them by production, and this would mean more costs for HTC for their own solution and really dump. Why not working with features, which are already implemented.

Also the bootloadwr have to detect a faulty Rom, which enables APX as not masked anymore. I'm still a fan of the idea to get some developers together which do these hardcore hardware fake stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

What could be the reason that a phone after a drop starts with FCs and will be recognized as APX device? Till now we didn't find out yet how to get the phone to show up as an APX device, so I guess it's as you said kind of diasbled/masked. Means that the drop "enabled" the APX mode, but how this is possible? I could imagine a hardware damage after a drop, but how can this lead the device to show up as an APX device. So weird... :eek:

co@ch

Jan 22, 2012
Verona
Huawei MatePad Pro
Reactions: ~Immo~

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Downloaded latest nvflash....

Looks like were getting somewhere

I get the following after running nvflash --sync

c:\FASTBOOT>nvflash --sync

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.118)

-- Primary Commands --
    Update firmware: nvflash [options] <filename>
    Save firmware to file: nvflash [options] --save <filename>
    Compare adapter firmware: nvflash [options] --compare <filename>
    Verify adapter firmware: nvflash [options] --verify <filename>
    Update TV data: nvflash [options] --tv <filename>
    Display version: nvflash [options] --version [<filename>]
    Display firmware bytes: nvflash [options] --display [bytes]
    Check for supported EEPROM: nvflash [options] --check
    Write protect EEPROM: nvflash [options] --protecton
    Remove write protect: nvflash [options] --protectoff
    Change soft straps: nvflash [options] --straps=<straps>
    Set IEEE 1394 GUID: nvflash [options] --guid=<guid>
    Set IEEE 1394 GUID source: nvflash [options] --guidsource=<location>
    List adapters: nvflash [options] --list
    List PCI firmware blocks: nvflash [options] --pciblocks
    List applied patches: nvflash [options] --listpatches
    Press 'Enter' to continue, or 'Q' to quit.
    No Joy with

HTC chat

Customer Chat

Chat Transcript

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You are currently at position number 1 in the queue.

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

You are currently at position number 1 in the queue.

An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

You have been connected to Rob.

Rob: Hi Kevin, thank you for contacting HTC Support, I am looking in to your query now.

Rob: What HTC model or phone do you have?

Kevin Wilding: One x

Rob: Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do please. APX is used for rooted phones

Kevin Wilding: Yeah, im wanting to know how to get the phone into the APX mode

Kevin Wilding: I have a few various things im wanting to try in APX mode but can't access it

Kevin Wilding: I have done with all previous devices but can't find how to on this one

Rob: APX mode is for rooted phones, I do regret to say HTC is unable to assist you in doing this.

Kevin Wilding: Why? I have paid for my phone and want to use the features on the phone, one of them being APX mode

Rob: APX is not a mode on the phone by default. To access / add features such as this it requires you to root your phone, due to this HTC do not assist you in doing it.

Kevin Wilding: I don't need assistance in rooting, I have already done that, I just need to know how to enter in to APX?

Rob: I am sorry but I cannot assist you in this.

Kevin Wilding: Would you be happy if you bought a car but they took the bonnet catch off so you coudn't look under there and alter it? NO probably not, I have bought this phone to make it the way I want it, but I'm limited to this the way HTC have LOCKED the device down. Why can't you assist? and who could assist

Rob: No one at HTC can assist you in enabling APX mode. Unlocking the device voids the warranty and depending on how you did it, it would inform you that we would not assist you in any tasks beyond the boot loader. There are websites out there that can assist you with this, but nothing I'm allowed to recommend

Kevin Wilding: "No one at HTC can assist you in enabling APX mode?" I thought you said it wasn't APX MODE? Well thanks for nothing BOB sorry im mean Rob
    I was given a HOX international tegra 3 by a friend to fix but i am afraid i am hitting a wall. He upgraded to the galaxy s3 and is trying to sell this off. I don't think he tried rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing anything. He stated that it would force close while trying to open Settings.app and everything started force closing when he inserted his SIM. He gave it to me because i was into flashing nexus one roms and kernels when i had a nexus one.

The phone doesn't seem to power on or show any signs of life on the phone itself. If i plug it into a windows machine, it recognizes it as "APX" but no driver is found or installed. I have searched around and neither ADB, Fastboot or nvflash recognize the device. I tried installing various drivers to no avail. I have pointed it to "android debugging bridge" and "NVidia USB Bootrecovery driver for mobile devices". ADB, fastboot and nvflash still do not recognize the device. It is also not listed in Device manager. Universal Naked beta driver also did not do anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have done some brief reading on the S-OFF thread and it seems like you guys needed a device in APX mode for further progression? Maybe we can help eachother out.

TIA
    How exactly do you know it is apx mode if it isn't in device manager

In the bottom right of the taskbar, there is an icon that's normally used to safely eject a USB device. The only thing listed is APX. If i unplug the phone, the icon for apx disappears and vice versa.
    How about removing the USB cable?

Sent from my HTC One X