Get Rid of Unread Message Sound?

Search This thread

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Ok... I have been searching for an answer and I cannot find this anywhere.

If I have an unread text message, when I reboot my phone I get this annoying "song" letting me know I have an unread text message. It does not stop until I unlock the phone and at least pull down the notification bar.

I think it is some version of the "over the horizon" jingle.. I have searched in the system/media folder to see if it is located there in order to delete it, however the only one that sounded similar was the acoustic "over the horizion" .ogg - but renaming that with .bak at the end did not rectify the problem.

Does anyone know where the system is pulling this sound from? I want to replace it with something a little more.. mature. Or get rid of it all together.

Any help is appreciated. If you don't know what I am talking about, please leave the thread for more experienced users to reply instead of cluttering it with questions.

thanks!

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Any help is appreciated.
If you don't know what I am talking about, please leave the thread for more experienced users to reply instead of cluttering it with questions.
It's not going to be easy to help you without asking a question, but I'll try.

Check the Notifications folder on intsd for the sound file. If not there, you can search for audio files with any file explorer to find it. But the folder you checked and the one I listed are going to be the most common places for notifications.

Stop using stock Samsung messaging app because it's garbage. In any case, you've overlooked a setting (in messenger app), probably.

Reactions: ingenious247

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
I have already run a search using root explorer that covered the entire system, and did not find any .ogg or .wav sound files I had not already checked.

It's not a setting in the stock messaging app (which, btw, works perfectly for me and definitely better than any 3rd party messaging app IMO)

There's nothing in the internal SD card notification folder except for the facebook pop sound. Only a beginner would not have checked that.

This is why I said let more experienced users answer, preferable Devs who understand the architecture of the stock GS3 system folders.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
The further I look into this issue, the more I am beginning to think it's a T-Mobile function that cannot be disabled in the stock ROM without modifying the ROM itself. I have found threads in other forums where it's even an issue in T-Mobile Windows phones.

I do however remember there was a way to disable it on one of my old phones.. either the MyTouch 4G or the SGS2.. but I cannot find the xda thread from way back then.

My search continues.. I will post any information I find out.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Update: Checked the build.prop file and I can see where the default "alarm_alert=Walk_in_the_forest.ogg" is called out, however I do not think this is the cause as that .ogg file does not sound like the alert I am hearing. I believe the line of code I am looking at only dictates the default alarm sound. Continuing to troubleshoot..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any help is appreciated.
    If you don't know what I am talking about, please leave the thread for more experienced users to reply instead of cluttering it with questions.
    It's not going to be easy to help you without asking a question, but I'll try.

Check the Notifications folder on intsd for the sound file. If not there, you can search for audio files with any file explorer to find it. But the folder you checked and the one I listed are going to be the most common places for notifications.

Stop using stock Samsung messaging app because it's garbage. In any case, you've overlooked a setting (in messenger app), probably.