[Q] Root the Developer Edition Moto X

Search This thread

x0054

May 18, 2014
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Developer Edition of Moto X. To be honest, I am not a developer for Android, and I am very new all together to Android, coming from iOS. All of my iPhones have always been jailbroken, and I would like to root my new Android as well. My Moto X has an unlocked boot loader. If I understand it correctly, this should allow me to root the phone in a permanent way. I would like to stick with the stock Moto X room, but I want to have root for some of the apps that need it.

I have googled it and found a bunch of different guides on how to do this, but is there a better way to do it on a device with an unlocked boot loader? Something what works with 4.4.2. If you point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Bogdan

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Developer Edition of Moto X. To be honest, I am not a developer for Android, and I am very new all together to Android, coming from iOS. All of my iPhones have always been jailbroken, and I would like to root my new Android as well. My Moto X has an unlocked boot loader. If I understand it correctly, this should allow me to root the phone in a permanent way. I would like to stick with the stock Moto X room, but I want to have root for some of the apps that need it.

I have googled it and found a bunch of different guides on how to do this, but is there a better way to do it on a device with an unlocked boot loader? Something what works with 4.4.2. If you point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Bogdan

This Guy has all these kind of tips
http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX.htm

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
My opinion, if you can't figure out how to root a device with an unlocked bootloader when non-stock recovery is available, you should just leave your phone stock. It doesn't get any easier unless it would come pre-rooted.

Sent from my Moto X

x0054

May 18, 2014
Thanks for the tip. The procedure looks relatively simple. Is the mfastboot the utility that Motorola includes with their SDK, or is it a 3rd party utility? I have a mac, and I would like to do all of this without having to boot into Windows.

Thanks!

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the tip. The procedure looks relatively simple. Is the mfastboot the utility that Motorola includes with their SDK, or is it a 3rd party utility? I have a mac, and I would like to do all of this without having to boot into Windows.

Thanks!

There is a Mac toolkit in our dev section. I think all you need is fastboot not m....

x0054

May 18, 2014
Thanks for all the links, I think I figured it out. The mfastboot should come with the Motorola Development bundle, and the rest I have ready. Looks like the process is pretty straight foreword. I'll post a little writeup for doing this on Mac if I am successful.

- Bogdan

Reactions: miss_sticks

ghostt021

Feb 10, 2011
Jacksonville
Hi guys,

Thanks,

- Bogdan

You can unlock though Motorola. Then install super su from the play store. If you're not interested in flashing a custom ROM you should be good to go, however I'd advise flashing a custom recovery and making a back up. Not needed but makes things a lot easier.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for all the links, I think I figured it out. The mfastboot should come with the Motorola Development bundle, and the rest I have ready. Looks like the process is pretty straight foreword. I'll post a little writeup for doing this on Mac if I am successful.

- Bogdan