What recovery do you use and why?

Search This thread

Hammerdroid

Sep 19, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Moto G Stylus
I'm currently using twrp 2.6 but getting ready to switch to the twrp 2.7 available in this article, (
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/10/moto-x-finally-gets-official-build-of-twrp-custom-recovery/

),
But I'm wondering if u should switch to cwm for any reason... If so, why? Just looking for feed back...

Also, it's been years since I switched or upgraded recoveries on a phone, (thunderbolt) and I can't remember if I used adb or what method I used at all, aside from installing my current recovery using adb... How would I go about switching?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I'm currently using twrp 2.6 but getting ready to switch to the twrp 2.7 available in this article, (
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/10/moto-x-finally-gets-official-build-of-twrp-custom-recovery/

),
But I'm wondering if u should switch to cwm for any reason... If so, why? Just looking for feed back...

Also, it's been years since I switched or upgraded recoveries on a phone, (thunderbolt) and I can't remember if I used adb or what method I used at all, aside from installing my current recovery using adb... How would I go about switching?

The vast majority of us are using TWRP.

There are a couple of ways to flash the recovery. You MUST be bootloader-unlocked for either method to work (I'm assuming you are...).

The "Easy" way: You MUST already be rooted. Download Rashr or Flashify (both are confirmed to work on the Moto X), and flash the new recovery .img from within the app.

The "Manual" way: You must have the android SDK and 'mfastboot' binary installed on your PC. You will also need to download the twrp recovery.img file, and place it in the same folder on your PC as 'mfastboot'. You will boot the phone into bootloader mode (AP Fastboot Mode) and from command prompt on your pc type the following command:

mfastboot flash recovery twrp_recovery_file_name.img

Good Luck

Reactions: Hammerdroid

Groid

May 7, 2010
I think you may use the regular fastboot.exe for flashing everything but system.img. I know you must use mfastboot for system.img and mfastboot will work for all .img files.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I think you may use the regular fastboot.exe for flashing everything but system.img. I know you must use mfastboot for system.img and mfastboot will work for all .img files.

You are correct. The standard fastboot should work for recovery, but so will mfastboot. We are recommending mfastboot for all flashing to try to avoid those 'I can't flash system.IMG ??' Threads.

If we recommend mfastboot for all flashing operations, we are less likely to have such threads.

Have fun

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Are either of you familiar with the custom moto x twrp recovery?

Yes, that is what 90% of us are using.... Unless you are referring to the custom-themed versions. Those should function identical to standard official twrp recovery.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
In Theory, yes, fastboot.exe should be able to flash everything by system.img (since Moto's system.img is too big for the standard fastboot to flash).

In practice, in several thread I've seen reports of people trying to flash recovery and logo.bin using the regular fastboot.exe, and while it reported it was successful, the user didn't see the changes reflected. Once they used mfastboot to flash, everything worked as expected.

And that is another reason why I suggest always using mfastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

),

The vast majority of us are using TWRP.

There are a couple of ways to flash the recovery. You MUST be bootloader-unlocked for either method to work (I'm assuming you are...).

The "Easy" way: You MUST already be rooted. Download Rashr or Flashify (both are confirmed to work on the Moto X), and flash the new recovery .img from within the app.

The "Manual" way: You must have the android SDK and 'mfastboot' binary installed on your PC. You will also need to download the twrp recovery.img file, and place it in the same folder on your PC as 'mfastboot'. You will boot the phone into bootloader mode (AP Fastboot Mode) and from command prompt on your pc type the following command:

mfastboot flash recovery twrp_recovery_file_name.img

Good Luck

You are correct. The standard fastboot should work for recovery, but so will mfastboot. We are recommending mfastboot for all flashing to try to avoid those 'I can't flash system.IMG ??' Threads.

If we recommend mfastboot for all flashing operations, we are less likely to have such threads.

Have fun

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Are either of you familiar with the custom moto x twrp recovery?

Yes, that is what 90% of us are using.... Unless you are referring to the custom-themed versions. Those should function identical to standard official twrp recovery.
    In Theory, yes, fastboot.exe should be able to flash everything by system.img (since Moto's system.img is too big for the standard fastboot to flash).

In practice, in several thread I've seen reports of people trying to flash recovery and logo.bin using the regular fastboot.exe, and while it reported it was successful, the user didn't see the changes reflected. Once they used mfastboot to flash, everything worked as expected.

And that is another reason why I suggest always using mfastboot.