[Q] Question about storage size

Search This thread

joelshort

Aug 30, 2010
I have a new to me S4 and it should be the 16GB version. However when I check the storage size when connected to the computer it says that I have 5.47GB free of 9.71GB total. Is this normal? Where is the other 6GB?

joelshort

Aug 30, 2010
And a follow up question, using file explorer it says that there three storage locations: /Device, SDcard, extSDCard. So it looks like the internal memory is split into two parts, one for the OS (/Device) and another "SDCARD" for data? Is that correct? If I don't mind losing data, can I delete files from the internal "SDCard" or are those files also necessary for the OS?

xfullmetal17

Jan 31, 2011
First and foremost, the "16GB" of space is actually 15GB, since advertising defines 1GB as 1 billion bytes instead of 2^30 bytes as it is actually defined by the OS.

Next, from that 15GB of space, you've got roughly 5GB or so that's reserved for the system, drivers, firmwares, etc. The remaining 9.71GB of space is where your apps and anything else saved to your internal storage go. You *can* use the "move to SD" option to move apps if you're running low on space, but I wouldn't advise it unless absolutely necessary. Unless something's changed since Gingerbread, only certain apps can be moved, and even then any widgets those apps have will NOT function if you've moved the app. (yes, I know I'm off by .3GB, but I think that's just from rounding)

Apps and most of their data are saved to the location /data, but you can't access that unless you're rooted. Some of them make use of either the internal or external storage (/sdcard and /extSDCard) as well, but it all depends. Safest bet is to keep away from the folders "Android" and "data" on /sdcard, since that's where apps will sometimes dump files they need to run. Also, if a folder name is similar to an app name, use caution since it might be part of the app.

I'm not sure on /Device to be honest, since I'm running a custom ROM and haven't really paid attention to that one. I don't think it's the OS though, since you normally aren't supposed to be able to use a file explorer to browse around the OS files.

Last edited:
Reactions: joelshort

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First and foremost, the "16GB" of space is actually 15GB, since advertising defines 1GB as 1 billion bytes instead of 2^30 bytes as it is actually defined by the OS.

Next, from that 15GB of space, you've got roughly 5GB or so that's reserved for the system, drivers, firmwares, etc. The remaining 9.71GB of space is where your apps and anything else saved to your internal storage go. You *can* use the "move to SD" option to move apps if you're running low on space, but I wouldn't advise it unless absolutely necessary. Unless something's changed since Gingerbread, only certain apps can be moved, and even then any widgets those apps have will NOT function if you've moved the app. (yes, I know I'm off by .3GB, but I think that's just from rounding)

Apps and most of their data are saved to the location /data, but you can't access that unless you're rooted. Some of them make use of either the internal or external storage (/sdcard and /extSDCard) as well, but it all depends. Safest bet is to keep away from the folders "Android" and "data" on /sdcard, since that's where apps will sometimes dump files they need to run. Also, if a folder name is similar to an app name, use caution since it might be part of the app.

I'm not sure on /Device to be honest, since I'm running a custom ROM and haven't really paid attention to that one. I don't think it's the OS though, since you normally aren't supposed to be able to use a file explorer to browse around the OS files.