[Q] Moto X (NOT ROOTED) - Wifi and Bluetooth problems

Search This thread
Aug 2, 2014
Hello!

Wifi and Bluetooth aren't working anymore When you try turning them on, them just turn off immediately. It has been going on after KitKat 4.4.3 update.

It's the same situation this member described in this thread: >>>>http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/wifi-bluetooth-issues-t2808419<<<<

He also uploaded a video about this issue: >>>>youtube . com / watch? v = girqFv6eWnQ<<<<

I also have been reading this threads:
>>>>http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/wifi-isnt-t2760479<<<<
>>>>http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/moto-x-xt1060-issues-wifi-bluetooth-t2813308<<<<
and the solution for this would be replace the WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin in the Persist folder. As my phone is not rooted, it seens impossible I had accidently deleted this file, right? Anyway, the Persist folder of my phone is empty. It's because my phone is not rooted so it doesn't show the files inside the folder? At the wlan/prima, there are the following files:

WCNSS_cfg.dat
WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin (that's the file, right?)
WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv_calibration.bin
WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv_regulatory.bin

Is there some possible solution or I really need to send my phone to technical support?

I'm sorry about my English and my poor knowlegde. Thank's a lot!

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Hello!

Wifi and Bluetooth aren't working anymore When you try turning them on, them just turn off immediately. It has been going on after KitKat 4.4.3 update.

It's the same situation this member described in this thread: >>>>http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/wifi-bluetooth-issues-t2808419<<<<

He also uploaded a video about this issue: >>>>youtube . com / watch? v = girqFv6eWnQ<<<<

>>>>http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/moto-x-xt1060-issues-wifi-bluetooth-t2813308<<<<
and the solution for this would be replace the WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin in the Persist folder. As my phone is not rooted, it seens impossible I had accidently deleted this file, right? Anyway, the Persist folder of my phone is empty. It's because my phone is not rooted so it doesn't show the files inside the folder? At the wlan/prima, there are the following files:

WCNSS_cfg.dat
WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini

Is there some possible solution or I really need to send my phone to technical support?

There is no way to prove that persist is vacant as you are unrooted. It is most likely a coinsident hardware failure. But still possible.
Go warranty replacement. Rsd restore is no help as persist is not in the XML.

Last edited:
Reactions: rafaelrossignoli
Aug 2, 2014
There is no way to prove that persist is vacant as you are unrooted. It is most likely a coinsident hardware failure. But still possible.

For first, thank you for your concern.

I see. It's a poor situation we have been seeing with others Moto X owners, especially after 4.4.3 update. Considering it's not a hardware issue and 4.4.4 update release (my phone is still in 4.4.3), is the 4.4.4 update worth it? I have been reading about increasing battery consumption after 4.4.4 update. I also have read about restoring the stock rom could be a worth try, even if your phone has never been rooted. What you say?

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012

I see. It's a poor situation we have been seeing with others Moto X owners, especially after 4.4.3 update. Considering it's not a hardware issue and 4.4.4 update release (my phone is still in 4.4.3), is the 4.4.4 update worth it? I have been reading about increasing battery consumption after 4.4.4 update. I also have read about restoring the stock rom could be a worth try, even if your phone has never been rooted. What you say?
I have a Maxx now on 444, not rooted & 444 is fine. There is much feedback on x 444 around.

Aug 2, 2014
I've sent my phone warranty. I'm a previous contact they told me it's probably a hardware issue. The battery comsumption has increased a lot and the explanation is that phone is constantly searching for wifi/bluetooth. Is it possible even with hardware failure?

When I get my phone back tell you what was it's problem and the possible solution.

Aug 2, 2014
Wifi and bluetooth had started working from nothing. Then, it stopped again. And it went this way several times since. Now, it's working properly, but it may stop anytime. Could it still be a hardware issue? I just have updated 4.4.4 yesterday. In one of the situations, I found the message "supplicant status: scanning".

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Wifi and bluetooth had started working from nothing. Then, it stopped again. And it went this way several times since. Now, it's working properly, but it may stop anytime. Could it still be a hardware issue? I just have updated 4.4.4 yesterday. In one of the situations, I found the message "supplicant status: scanning".

Yes. based on the information you have provided, and my personal experience, I would suspect a hardware failure.

Aug 2, 2014
Yes. based on the information you have provided, and my personal experience, I would suspect a hardware failure.

Well, wifi and bluetooth aren't working anymore since my last post. There's a big battery drain - something like 60% of battery life in 3 hours with phone - supposedly - in sleep mode, even when it is in airplane mode. It seems the system tries to find wifi and bluetooth. When I see my battery status, Android OS and Android System processes are draining more battery life than screen itself. Could it be a hardware failure even if wifi and bluetooth get back working sometimes?

I think I'll buy a lower cost android phone if I decide sending my Moto X warranty. It's complicated staying without a smartphone during 20~30 days.

I appreciate you all for the help and considerations.

Update: sending my Moto x warranty. Tell you what was wrong when I get it back

Last edited:

mutukrp

Dec 2, 2012
crappy wifi

Update: sending my Moto x warranty. Tell you what was wrong when I get it back

Have you managed to get an update? I think I am having the same exact problems.
Not a developer device so can't unlock the bootloader
Not rooted. \persist\ is empty if that would make any difference at all.
Surprisingly once when I restarted the phone in bptools menu options on the boot menu, the phone came up fine and I was able to turn on my wifi and bluetooth. After about 10 minutes, the phone restarted on it's own and ever since they won't turn on.
Did a full wipe, FDR and also wiped cache but still the same now. Booting using BPTools menu option doesn't help any more.

For the last couple weeks, my phone is just guzzling data on 4G. Having a wifi would help. Please don't suggest me to do a warranty repair That is what I might end up doing in about two weeks. The unlocked device was bought in India but I am now abroad.
Using XT1052 running Kitkat 4.4.4 - AsiaRetail.

Aug 2, 2014
Have you managed to get an update? I think I am having the same exact problems.
Not a developer device so can't unlock the bootloader
Not rooted. \persist\ is empty if that would make any difference at all.
Surprisingly once when I restarted the phone in bptools menu options on the boot menu, the phone came up fine and I was able to turn on my wifi and bluetooth. After about 10 minutes, the phone restarted on it's own and ever since they won't turn on.
Did a full wipe, FDR and also wiped cache but still the same now. Booting using BPTools menu option doesn't help any more.

For the last couple weeks, my phone is just guzzling data on 4G. Having a wifi would help. Please don't suggest me to do a warranty repair That is what I might end up doing in about two weeks. The unlocked device was bought in India but I am now abroad.
Using XT1052 running Kitkat 4.4.4 - AsiaRetail.

For first, thank you for reminding me about this thread. I bring bad news for you, unfortunately. It's 99% a hardware failure. In my case, it really was one. After 25 days, my phone was back from warranty with a new wifi/bluetooth hardware.

My phone was behaving the same way as yours. Sometimes the wifi was back working for a while, then my phone restarted and wifi was unavailable again. So, i recommend you send your phone warranty as soon as possible. Good luck!

are.petrakis

Oct 18, 2014
wifi and bluetooth not turning On FIX

Hello everybody.i use a moto x (xt1052) 4.4.4 kitkat not rooted.
A week ago started having problems with wifi communication not turning on and a couple of days later bluetooth couldnt locate any connections
I fixed these problems by switching to ART Runtime from the developer settings.this will reboot your phone and starts upgrading your apps .after that wifi and bluetooth work fine .(for now..)
I am also wondering if anyone has any random reboots or its just my pocket..:)

Hope it helps for you too.
Cheers,Stelios

Updated: WiFi and Bluetooth stopped working again.leaning more on software issue than hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: mutukrp

mutukrp

Dec 2, 2012
I fixed these problems by switching to ART Runtime from the developer settings.this will reboot your phone and starts upgrading your apps .after that wifi and bluetooth work fine .(for now..)

Updated: WiFi and Bluetooth stopped working again.leaning more on software issue than hardware.

Nope, that didn't help me at all. I think at least my issue is hardware related. Giving the phone for warranty repair on Thursday, let's see what happens.

mutukrp

Dec 2, 2012
Update

Been to the service center a week ago. Apparently the moment I explained my issue, they said it is an hardware issue and so the board needs a replacement. Got my phone back and it has been a week with no issues. Fingers crossed...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

WCNSS_cfg.dat
    WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini

I have a Maxx now on 444, not rooted & 444 is fine. There is much feedback on x 444 around.
    So I will try to update it on 4.4.4. A last question I forgot asking: my 3/4G is working fine. 3/4G has nothing to do with wifi/bluetooth hardware/software, right?

Correct.

wifi and bluetooth not turning On FIX

Hello everybody.i use a moto x (xt1052) 4.4.4 kitkat not rooted.
    A week ago started having problems with wifi communication not turning on and a couple of days later bluetooth couldnt locate any connections
    I am also wondering if anyone has any random reboots or its just my pocket..:)

Hope it helps for you too.
    Cheers,Stelios