Developers paying for data.. Check it out

Search This thread

iandr0idos

Dec 23, 2011
That's good for the consumers, but really bad for the devs. I don't want to be paying some user's data bill. :mad:

jamesd86

Feb 7, 2009
Delaware
It's just an entry tactic to at$t making up data plans like "2gb data plus unlimited Facebook access" and charging more because it has "unlimited" access to Facebook or maybe even at$t content sites.

The future; you've been warned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Scythe024

Nov 14, 2011
That's bullcrap, I dont' think they'll get away with it

They will get away with it because it will only be a option if the Dev wants to add that feature. Think of it as a 1-800 number. You don't pay to call them, they accept the charges. Why a dev would accept the charges I don't know since I doubt it will generate more use of there app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

kr3w1337

Jan 7, 2009
This is probably the worst alternative to actually upgrading their network.

Man, once tmobile gets LTE, they will lose a lot of people.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

randomnameftw

Feb 2, 2012
This is probably the worst alternative to actually upgrading their network.

Man, once tmobile gets LTE, they will lose a lot of people.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Doubt it. Outside of their cheap plans, nothing about t-mobile
appeals to me. Only other network I would consider switching to
is verizon's.

t3chfr3ak07

Dec 7, 2011
Pocatello
The good the bad the ugly

Note: I'm only guessing at most of this based off my interaction with AT&T's employees and representatives. I will edit my post if/when I am able to ask the reps more about it and have a more in depth knowledge of what this means.

Good: Limited data plans will still allow access to certain apps (Netflix, Facebook,ect...) once your data cap is up.

Bad: Developers and those that opt in to this might hike up the cost of service or even create a whole different type of billing package just for phones (Netflix for example, watch unlimited movies on your computer or tv for $7.99 a month and if you want unlimited streaming to your smartphone or 3G tablet its an extra $3.99 or something)

Ugly: The initial use of the data will still factor into your capped gigs so that "unlimited streaming type plan" is only covered after you reach your cap. This means that once you hit those 2/3gig caps then you can only access the apps that the developer pays for your extra data. EX: You get a text from att "You have reached your limit for data this month if you use any more then you will be charged $10 per gig" I use Netflix no charge. I use Facebook (assuming they will be on board with this) I click an ad in the facebook app BOOM $10 on my bill.

Again this is all speculation and I am only guessing and will add/edit the post if/when I find out more about this. I'm sure that once the details are figured out this will actually be a good thing at least for a short while for AT&T users and we might actually see other carriers with Tiered data plans following suit.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Doubt it. Outside of their cheap plans, nothing about t-mobile
appeals to me. Only other network I would consider switching to
is verizon's.

Honestly I do have to say when I was with T-Mobile even though I was running mostly edge for internet and very frustrated with that, they usually had some of the most bad ass line up's of phones. With the whole AT&T-Mobile deal some of the greater phones went to other carriers but I think that with them launching LTE and everything they might make a comeback with some of the greatest phones on the market. I know our skyrocket has pretty much the same specs as their SGSII and that was one thing I was almost bitter about because I wanted the best phone I could possibly have and they had it before AT&T and Verizon is so restrictive that even the Galaxy Nexus was delayed for release (one thing that I might add has never happened to either of the two Nexi launched on T-Mobile) because they had to work out the whole Google wallet and a few other things to get the thing up and running on their network.