[Q] Bricked SGS2 T989?

Search This thread

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
I'm experiencing issues with my SGH-T989 where it will ONLY boot into ODIN Download mode. Does NOT boot into any other mode. on standard boot it will get to samsung Logo with Loading bar, the loading bar goes to (from what I can tell) 99% and freezes there for a few seconds, then it goes away and the screen blanks. nothing shows. the battery drains if I dont take the battery out I've noticed.

I've tried using Kies, it states that "this device version cannot be updated". I've tried using ODIN and it shows PASS after I've PDA the stock Firmware. I've used ODIN to install a custom recovery, as the phone seemed to not be able to access recovery before. I've tried both CWM and TWRP and neither recovery seems like it wants to work. At this point I'm left without options. I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help at all?

without Access to recovery I can not root or install from SD.

the phone is stock. I wasn't attempting to ROOT or do anything, this just happened out of the blue. put the phone in my pocket and pulled it back out not even 2 minutes later and it wouldnt boot AT ALL for 3 days. now all of a sudden I'm presented with this issue. it will boot but only in ODIN.

D

Darth

How are you trying to get into revovery?

Press power and volume up and down. When it vibrates, let go of power only. As soon as you see recovery splash screen....let go of volumes.

If recovery flashed successfully in Odin, this should work.

Then try a factory reset....and for good measure, wipe cache and dalvik cache as well. Phone hopefully will boot then. If Odin flashing firmware was successful.

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
yeah, I've tried vol down, vol up, both down + up and plugging into comp. with and without battery. Ive tried every button combination even (i know..) tried to use combinations with the bottom haptic buttons. this phone will not enter recovery. I've reflashed stock reco, cwm, twrp... flashed ICS, GB...

everything says its fine in Odin but the phone is acting as if nothing were changed. in all of the different attempts Ive tried, nothing has changed the behaviour of the phone in one way. it still has two routes; Freeze at bootlogo on standard boot, or boot into Download mode. its not user error as far as I can tell. I've also taken it apart and blew any excess dust or dirt away from the power button, as I have heard this can be caused by a gunked up or sticking power button.

I'm at a loss =\

D

Darth

I'm at a loss then for your next move.

There's apps that can boot into recovery. But you need root. To get root, you need recovery.

To get into phone, you need recovery, to at least try a wipe of the caches.

Something is not right for sure.

Maybe try flashing ICS firmware in Odin....if you can find one. If it boots, you have a phone. But with no recovery access....you're looking at an unrooted life with the phone.

Fasted12

Jan 28, 2014
Maybe you can use adb to reboot recovery if it recognizes phone

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Free mobile app

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
Yup, lol you feel my confusion and frustration with this. All I want is the phone to work again. it wont boot regardless of what OS i ODIN onto it. i have no idea what could cause this. it didn't overheat, wasn't subject to water or steam, didnt get knocked around.. I simply put the phone in my pocket and pulled it out moments later and it was like this. would purchasing a new motherboard be my best option here? I see some online for 20-30$ but me issue with that is getting a bad IMEI.

Fasted12

Jan 28, 2014
What I meant was have you tried adb to force to recovery and factory reset. If you have adb, open platform tools, hold shift and right click mouse, choose open command Window, type "adb reboot recovery" then hit enter

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
It is showing as Device not found. should I be trying this in ODIN or after the Bootlogo Blackscreen?

Fasted12

Jan 28, 2014
You can do it in Odin mode but computer has to adb has to recognize it
Should show a number under devices

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

May not work if debugging and unknown sources aren't enabled on your phone

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

No, just tried it, adb won't recognize it in download mode,

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

When you try to get to recovery don't use the usb cable-thats only to get to download mode

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
When you try to get to recovery don't use the usb cable-thats only to get to download mode

Yes, if a USB cable is plugged in, your phone will NOT boot into recovery mode. Odin can be hit and miss. I find Heimdall to be much more reliable with this phone. @Derpwood , pm me and I will send you instructions for flashing stock ICS in Heimdall.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
But the issue still remains that the phone wont enter Recovery mode. =\ I've tried with and without USB plugged in. with and without SD cards (tried 3 different cards, 8gb, 32gb, and 64gb) tried all known button combinations to start phone. and it still just freezes after samsung Logo or goes into Download mode (with Vol + and - along with power, plugged into USB). At this point I have a new motherboard in my shopping cart on Ebay and I'm waiting to get paid. but if I can avoid dumping anything more into this phone I'd Love that.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
But the issue still remains that the phone wont enter Recovery mode. =\ I've tried with and without USB plugged in. with and without SD cards (tried 3 different cards, 8gb, 32gb, and 64gb) tried all known button combinations to start phone. and it still just freezes after samsung Logo or goes into Download mode (with Vol + and - along with power, plugged into USB). At this point I have a new motherboard in my shopping cart on Ebay and I'm waiting to get paid. but if I can avoid dumping anything more into this phone I'd Love that.

Would JTag from www.mobiletechvideos.com be cheaper? Have you tried USB Jig? Mobile tech videos sells them and you can buy them on EBay for 2 bucks. If you have a soldering iron, you can make one.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
I do have a soldering iron. hmm, I'll look into a Jig. would that fix this? I was doing a bit of research on USB Jig's but it was at nearly 4am and I got too tired to remember any info. :confused:

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
I do have a soldering iron. hmm, I'll look into a Jig. would that fix this? I was doing a bit of research on USB Jig's but it was at nearly 4am and I got too tired to remember any info. :confused:

Yeah a jig can sometimes be used to force a Samsung phone into Odin/Download mode. Jig is not to be confused with JTAG.

Sent from my SGH-T989

EDIT: never mind, I just realized that your problem was you couldn't boot into recovery, not download mode.

Fasted12

Jan 28, 2014
wow, don't see how this could be a hardware problem
with a clean download of stock gb, ics,or even jb ,delete kies, odin as administrator, and a solid cable , i've always got them to boot.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
with a clean download of stock gb, ics,or even jb ,delete kies, odin as administrator, and a solid cable , i've always got them to boot.

+1 I've gotten them to boot again on the firmware upgrade has encountered an error screen, but I used Linux, JOdin3, and Heimdall. So I would think that Odin would be able to fix this. I have had more luck fixing these things on Linux though. Odin is what cashed the firmware upgrade error screen anyway after it crashed :/

Sent from my SGH-T989

Reactions: Fasted12

Derpwood

Dec 9, 2012
So maybe I'll start from scratch and delete kies again.. hmm.. =\

see everywhere I look, they seem to say this shouldnt be a hardware issue...

ScottPomroy

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
I seem to be having the same problem but mine comes from reflashing stock ics with odin from PA 4.45. I can get to the dL screen but not recovery and everything I flash passes too. But I can't get passed the pulsating Samsung logo after the android load bar.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
I seem to be having the same problem but mine comes from reflashing stock ics with odin from PA 4.45. I can get to the dL screen but not recovery and everything I flash passes too. But I can't get passed the pulsating Samsung logo after the android load bar.

Flash stock in Odin. Unplug from computer once it reboots. Hold in power and both volume buttons until you feel two vibrations in a row then hold just the volume buttons until it us past the loading bar. You should boot into recovery. Wipe data/factory reset and then do a wipe cache and Dalvik cache. I had the same problem.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Reactions: ScottPomroy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

+1 I've gotten them to boot again on the firmware upgrade has encountered an error screen, but I used Linux, JOdin3, and Heimdall. So I would think that Odin would be able to fix this. I have had more luck fixing these things on Linux though. Odin is what cashed the firmware upgrade error screen anyway after it crashed :/

Sent from my SGH-T989

Flash stock in Odin. Unplug from computer once it reboots. Hold in power and both volume buttons until you feel two vibrations in a row then hold just the volume buttons until it us past the loading bar. You should boot into recovery. Wipe data/factory reset and then do a wipe cache and Dalvik cache. I had the same problem.

Sent from my SGH-T989