[GUIDE] How to port sense to non-HTC devices.

Search This thread

Lord Inglip

Feb 1, 2012
How to port Sense.
Source: http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/164989-guide-how-i-port.html (second post)
This is NOT my guide, just posting it here!

This is a very difficult process that I hope you'll understand.
First step is to find a device that is preferably VERY similar to your device, in this instance I guess we would use the htc thunderbolt, which I've been told multiple times that it is used for the MT.
You're going to want to use CM7 for parts. Simple enough.
I will be referring the Sense ROM to SENSE and CM7 as BASE to simple things up. So remember that.

When I say replace, I would recommend deleting from one and adding it with the other

Open up Sense and Base in different windows.
Put in the boot.img from Base into Sense (make sure you put the original boot.img in some other place that you'll remember)
go into /system/usr on both
replace keylayouts and keychars from Base into Sense (this is just your keys)

download dsixda's kitchen (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246)
Get the ROM you have so far set up in it and what not (I'm a little fuzzy at this part)
Once you get done with that, run the menu in terminal and navigate your way to decompile the boot.img (action key- "a") and then run the same thing except run the action key "w" to decompile the original boot.img. So the key here is to decompile both boot.img's.

Go into the ramdisk on both and go into init.rc
THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IN THIS (THE MATTER OF BOOT AND BOOTLOOP) IS THE LINE
"export BOOTCLASSPATH" near the top. It will have a bunch of lines after it. Now in the Base's boot.img, delete this whole line. Replace it with the lines from Sense's boot.img.
Now you can add anything else you want that looks like it belongs (preferably anything sense related)
Don't recompile the boot.img yet.

Now we add a2sd. To do this, just follow this guide (https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=158823170833688)
The only thing you do in there is the edits to the init.rc, don't listen to the decompiling/recompiling mentions. Now you can go back into the menu for the kitchen and recompile the boot.img (action key - "b"). Now don't compile the WHOLE ROM, just take the new boot.img in working_** and put it into the Sense zip.

Now you're going to want to download my ROM (sorry, just don't feel like uploading each individual file) http://gannon5197.blogspot.nl/2012/03/got-sense-booted.html
And go into the /system/bin on both
these are the files you're going to need: a2sd, bash, apps2sd.hlp, busybox.a2sd, chka2sd, jita2sd, launcha2sd, starta2sd, and maybe possibly sh (try once without it)
And you're going to want to set permissions for each one of these in the updater-script (look at mine for references)

Now also look at my zip and you'll see move_cache_sd. Put that in yours and set permissions for it in updater-script (use mine for references)

After that, the other stuff is mainly just getting rid of all the bloatware, (look in /system/app and /system/media) I wouldn't delete any libs as of right now. If you try to flash it and it reboots recovery then it is too big.

If it is too big, you're probably going to want to move a lot of the apps to data. To do this, just make a file called data/app/put_your_apps_here on the root of the zip. You're going to have to set permissions for it in the updater-script, but use the test.zip I sent you in the original.

This will most likely get you booted. Nothing will likely work. Which is expected. If you have any problems, just use logcat. It will be your bestfriend. Have fun porting

Last edited:

kssood

May 3, 2011
Shimla
Don't know how this above awesome thread is so blank :(
Have u tested if this way works

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 4123551

hmm this one's new for me. saved
should come in handy sometimes

vikasb32

Inactive Recognized Themer
May 9, 2011
Hardwar
OnePlus 6
Hello for lg p500 there is 2 sense rom but data and mic not working in both rom can you help to solving that problems????btw great tutorial.

QuBe2

Jan 1, 2012
Rotterdam
in fact sensse porting is differnet from the tutorial showed it is a little bit more difficult and there are some libs needed that there is only for the devices you are porting to. so a general tread will not really work

Lord Inglip

Feb 1, 2012
in fact sensse porting is differnet from the tutorial showed it is a little bit more difficult and there are some libs needed that there is only for the devices you are porting to. so a general tread will not really work

Well this is not my tutorial just found it on the internet so I don't know if it works

a2441918

Inactive Recognized Developer / Senior Member
Jan 1, 2011
New York
My cm7 rom which i downloaded doesn't have a boot.img file.. So how to get it?? Is it the system.img got from a nandroid backup?? and the sense rom which the post refers to is the stock sense rom of the phone in a zip format or a modded one??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to port Sense.
    Source: http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/164989-guide-how-i-port.html (second post)
    This is NOT my guide, just posting it here!

This is a very difficult process that I hope you'll understand.
    First step is to find a device that is preferably VERY similar to your device, in this instance I guess we would use the htc thunderbolt, which I've been told multiple times that it is used for the MT.
    You're going to want to use CM7 for parts. Simple enough.
    I will be referring the Sense ROM to SENSE and CM7 as BASE to simple things up. So remember that.

When I say replace, I would recommend deleting from one and adding it with the other

Open up Sense and Base in different windows.
    Put in the boot.img from Base into Sense (make sure you put the original boot.img in some other place that you'll remember)
    go into /system/usr on both
    replace keylayouts and keychars from Base into Sense (this is just your keys)

download dsixda's kitchen (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246)
    Get the ROM you have so far set up in it and what not (I'm a little fuzzy at this part)
    Once you get done with that, run the menu in terminal and navigate your way to decompile the boot.img (action key- "a") and then run the same thing except run the action key "w" to decompile the original boot.img. So the key here is to decompile both boot.img's.

Go into the ramdisk on both and go into init.rc
    THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IN THIS (THE MATTER OF BOOT AND BOOTLOOP) IS THE LINE
    "export BOOTCLASSPATH" near the top. It will have a bunch of lines after it. Now in the Base's boot.img, delete this whole line. Replace it with the lines from Sense's boot.img.
    Now you can add anything else you want that looks like it belongs (preferably anything sense related)
    Don't recompile the boot.img yet.

Now we add a2sd. To do this, just follow this guide (https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=158823170833688)
    The only thing you do in there is the edits to the init.rc, don't listen to the decompiling/recompiling mentions. Now you can go back into the menu for the kitchen and recompile the boot.img (action key - "b"). Now don't compile the WHOLE ROM, just take the new boot.img in working_** and put it into the Sense zip.

Now you're going to want to download my ROM (sorry, just don't feel like uploading each individual file) http://gannon5197.blogspot.nl/2012/03/got-sense-booted.html
    And go into the /system/bin on both
    these are the files you're going to need: a2sd, bash, apps2sd.hlp, busybox.a2sd, chka2sd, jita2sd, launcha2sd, starta2sd, and maybe possibly sh (try once without it)
    And you're going to want to set permissions for each one of these in the updater-script (look at mine for references)

Now also look at my zip and you'll see move_cache_sd. Put that in yours and set permissions for it in updater-script (use mine for references)

After that, the other stuff is mainly just getting rid of all the bloatware, (look in /system/app and /system/media) I wouldn't delete any libs as of right now. If you try to flash it and it reboots recovery then it is too big.

If it is too big, you're probably going to want to move a lot of the apps to data. To do this, just make a file called data/app/put_your_apps_here on the root of the zip. You're going to have to set permissions for it in the updater-script, but use the test.zip I sent you in the original.

This will most likely get you booted. Nothing will likely work. Which is expected. If you have any problems, just use logcat. It will be your bestfriend. Have fun porting
    No problem :thumbup:
    You must also add all the proprietary libs and bins from your device. They are all at github.com/themuppets in proprietary_vendor_(whatever your manufacturer is). Download the gingerbread tree if you're porting gb or the ics branch for ics. It'll be under your device codename, so you'll need to know that (ex: evo=supersonic). Or if you don't want to download it, just go to the proprietary folder inside the device folder and copy all those files from a cm7 for gb/cm9 for ics. After that, you will need to hack the framework to support the telephony framework (ie: samsungril in samsung phones). I don't have any experience with that, since I just hacked in support for the nexus s 4g ril on my epic 4g and it worked.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Anyone tried porting to a tegra2 device?

Hasn't been successful. Apparently since tegra2 doesn't have neon instruction set, but its coded into the sense libs. Though, your best bet would be to port from a tegra 3 sense device (one x), since the tegra drivers would switch from tegra3 to 2.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app