[HOWTO] Enable the car dock external audio without Samsung's Home apps

Search This thread

TheBeano

Jul 18, 2010
The external audio jack feature is still broken in Gingerbread (JVK). The built-in speaker sound mutes but sound doesn't get switched to the USB output. So don't upgrade if you want to keep this feature. Now I have to downgrade, grr.

Reactions: giannibat

TheBeano

Jul 18, 2010
I updated the app in post #1 with a version that has separate settings for home and car docks. If the phone is docked then clicking on the relevant checkbox will turn the external output on and off straight away.

altheman200

Apr 5, 2011
can't open APK

Hi, the app you created is in .zip format I assume I would have to change it to .apk to launch it on my Galaxy S. But that does not seem to work. I think there is something obvious I am missing here. Please help. Thanks.

altheman200

Apr 5, 2011
Sorry figured it out!

feel dumb for not trying this before I asked but downloaded AndroZip and got it figured thanks for the great app.

obakr

Aug 23, 2009
Cairo
Gingerbread version soon?

Hi TheBeano, is there any plan for making a gingerbread version soon?
I also had to downgrade my phone to use the dock.

ctleng76

Hello guys!first of all TheBeano great job dude.your app it's great.i use it with my galaxy s and car dock.it'a great because now with your app i can output my music direct to car speaker with 3.5 jack cable (dock to car aux).but when i receive a call it's turn to speakers mode.i want to output my voice call to 3.5 jack too, to have a nice car kit.any ideeas how to enable external output voice call to earphones .thx

I am not sure which ROM you are using and which kernel you have installed, but ever since I installed an Onix kernel my car dock audio output works for phone calls as well. I can now hear the phone call audio through my car stereo and speak into the air. I have been able to do this with both Onix 2.0.3 and 2.0.4.

tarzan55

Oct 20, 2010
One question, is it possible to switch audio to USB output (aux) whitout having car(or desk) dock? I know one could make a custom USB cable , but I don't want to wait for the 619k resistor (local shop ran out of the smd ones (the tyny ones) neither do I wanna use the regular ones, since I wanna hide it all into the original samsung usb cable connector.

TheBeano

Jul 18, 2010
One question, is it possible to switch audio to USB output (aux) whitout having car(or desk) dock? I know one could make a custom USB cable , but I don't want to wait for the 619k resistor (local shop ran out of the smd ones (the tyny ones) neither do I wanna use the regular ones, since I wanna hide it all into the original samsung usb cable connector.
It might work but I don't have a cable made up to try it. It depends if the kernel checks whether it's docked before allowing the output. You could use the Tasker method to try it out though, just trigger it off something other than dock mode.

Marcenzeichen

Oct 5, 2010
Does not redirect to USB for me using car home without dock.

The app is an substitute for the car home to use the dock without it. You need to trigger the Galaxy S with an resistor (as in the dock) AND TheBeano's app OR the car home to get the sound redirected through the usb-cable.
Or try to, what TheBeano has mentioned it the post above.

brett.darnell

Aug 2, 2010
The app is an substitute for the car home to use the dock without it. You need to trigger the Galaxy S with an resistor (as in the dock) AND TheBeano's app OR the car home to get the sound redirected through the usb-cable.
Or try to, what TheBeano has mentioned it the post above.

I hear what your saying. But...

The car home app will put the i9000 into car dock mode without use of a cradle. In fact you can select to use whatever dock launcher you like if not into car home. I use "Car Dock Home V3" but its called from samsungs car home app.

Not saying using this method will be "exactly" to same as using the actual dock but just letting people know i havent been able to redirect via usb using this method.

Well at least this is how I understand it to work.

Marcenzeichen

Oct 5, 2010
What "car home app" are you talking about?
Samsung's "Car Home" from Samsung Apps and the "Car Dock Home V3" doesn't "automatically put the phone in car mode" (quote from the market-page) which is essential for the sound output through USB via a switching-chip.
The Galays needs to trigger this switching-chip, not only change the desktop via a "Home App".
If you don't have a app, which does that for you (if its possible at all), you'll need a custom build cable (or a car/home dock) and at least Android 2.2.1 to get this working!

tarzan55

Oct 20, 2010
Tasker is not a free app and I don't want to "piratize" on open source phone...

I tried two audio switching apps i found (SGSDockSpeaker11.apk from this post and also Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector from Market) and i guess as Marcenzeichen is saying, both need hardware switching (resistor between pins 4 and 5), to enable USB audio out. I also tried it with several dock apps (samsung car home, Google car home, car dock hone V3, custom car home ...), also installed car mode switch (it emulates car mode in the way it starts the default car dock app - if several are installed, you can select witch one is to be used by default).

I am running 2.2.1, Speedmod k13d, Doc_v9.9.5.XWJS8, and I think phones firmware shouldn't be the problem...

Any suggestions?

Best regards and thx for everything!

Last edited:

brett.darnell

Aug 2, 2010

Anyway like i said already...

I can not redirect output to USB without using the actual dock even thought samsungs car home app puts the i9000 into car mode.

So i think the answer is no need a dock or custom cable with resistor.

EDIT: my test may not be valid since im using voodoo kernel.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarzan55

kynetx

Aug 10, 2007
Turn this into a Tasker and (urk) Locale plugin and make some money off it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Oh, forgot to mention; Rooted Samsung (Sprint) Epic running stock EC05.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: none of this works for the Car Dock in Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread (JVB, JVK, or JVO), due to a Samsung kernel bug/feature. It should work for the Home Dock. Car Dock output is fixed in Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread (JVP or later).

This will not work with any Cyanogenmod, Teamhacksung or other open source ROMs for any version of Android, including ICS, as it calls a closed-source Samsung module that will not be present in these ROMs.

Samsung's docks have external audio outputs that are connected through the phone's USB port. These outputs don't work unless you use the latest versions of Samsung's Desk Home and Car Home apps (kindly provided by an XDA user here for those that can't download them from the market).

Unfortunately these apps are not the greatest, especially Samsung Car Home. I wanted to use Google Car Home, so I did a little reverse engineering and discovered that Samsung's apps use this Android Intent to switch the external audio output on and off:

name: com.sec.android.intent.action.INTERNAL_SPEAKER
    extra: state
    extra value (Integer):
    0 = off (sound through phone's internal speaker)
    1 = on (sound through dock external port).

You can use this in a couple of ways:

1. Through Tasker: create a profile with context Docked and an Intent action as follows:
    Action: com.sec.android.intent.action.INTERNAL_SPEAKER
    Cat: none
    Extra: state:1
    Target: Broadcast Receiver

Or, if you don't want to use Tasker:

2. I created a tiny app (attached) that triggers this intent when the phone is docked and undocked. I've only tested it with the car dock but it should work with the home dock as well. It doesn't create a background service or use any memory normally, it just gets launched and switches the external audio output on whenever the phone is plugged in to the dock.
    Update: v1.1 now has separate settings for home and car docks.

Known versions where Car Dock output doesn't work:
    * Android 2.1 (all versions)
    * Android 2.2 prior to JPX kernel
    * Android 2.3.3 (works in 2.3.4 JVP)

Ringtone and caller voice audio does not go through the external port, only music player output.

I've only tested it on the I9000 but it should work with all the Galaxy S variants, at least all the ones that work with Samsung's Dock apps anyway.

Warning: There is a nasty "crack" when the audio output is connected so you may want to have your stereo's volume turned right down.

If you find this app useful please donate to the CyanogenMod developers: go to this thread and click the link under "SUPPORT US".
    Hi guys,

I wrote Pawtip to include the Patch from ICS into JellyBean.
    He answered me and said that the new Nightly (cm-10.1-20130225-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip) will get this Patch.

See here:

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/32520/

Regards!
    The dock sound support is the only thing that pulled me away from ICSSGS and keeps me with CM9.:(

What am I missing that makes it work for you? Please help...:)

Hi,

Here is the workaround for those who are unable to redirect sound using ICSSGS RC4.2 and XCaliburinhand's Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector:

Edit your /system/build.prop file and replace the following line
    ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
    with
    ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung

Reboot, finished.

Confirmed working on Icy Glitch V14b5 kernel, should also work on other (redirection capable) kernels (e.g. Semaphore 0.9.x). Latest Icy Glitch kernel has now full voice call redirection also working!

Be extra careful when editing build.prop (create a backup of file etc.)!

Details: I checked the source code of Dock Sound Redirector on github and found that it checks if: 1. the manufacturer string is 'samsung' 2. /sys/devices/virtual/misc/dockredir/dockredir_support file exists and contains '1' in the first line. If any of these fails, will throw the error message.

In this thread, you'll find a CWM-flashable (latest) version of Google Car Home -- could be also interesting.

Have a nice day,

pn
    I'm not using it and I don't have a dock, so I don't know what app is needed. I did add support for it in the kernel, and the testers who were testing it confirmed it was working. I'll ask them what app they are using.
    Is it this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=975349
    Can I flash it over my Dark_Core_2.7.3_JVP kernel if I first turn of Lag fix?

Yes, download the "Stock+Ext4 Kernel JVP - Gingerbread 2.3.4" from the first post in that thread and flash with Odin or Heimdall.

If your Lagfix is just ext4 (no jfs etc.) you don't have to turn it off.

If there's a weird voice at boot: that's the filesystem conversion. If there's none, all is fine, too ;)