I have two hammerheads, one from Google Play store and one from Sprint

Search This thread

gnarlycs

Jun 4, 2011
The problem I am having is with my T-Mobile sim in the Sprint nexus I get very weak UMTS/HSPA signal where I normally get full signal. Constantly dropping signal and what have you.

I also cannot get LTE. In LTE only mode, when I am outside where I get good LTE signal on my google play nexus 5 (capable of 30 megs down), the sprint nexus 5 sees every network except t-mobile's. I'm talking about the search for network menu, it shows AT&T almost always, shows verizon and metropcs' old network (311 660) and also shows sprint's lte network. All but T-Mobile's

So I decided I would swap out the antenna (the piece at the bottom held in by 4 screws that also has the loudspeaker attached to it).
With the sprint nexus' antenna in my google play nexus, everything works just fine in my google play nexus. With the google play nexus' antenna in the sprint nexus, nothings different and I cannot get LTE at all and weak HSPA.

it says "HH.SKU.1.0905" on my google play nexus 5, on the sprint one it says "HH.SKU.1.0816"

both hardware version 11. the water sticker on the sprint nexus is slightly pink, but i havent noticed any other problems

once i get in touch with my buddy who has sprint im gonna test his sim in this and see if i can get full signal LTE or what

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
The problem I am having is with my T-Mobile sim in the Sprint nexus I get very weak UMTS/HSPA signal where I normally get full signal. Constantly dropping signal and what have you.

I also cannot get LTE. In LTE only mode, when I am outside where I get good LTE signal on my google play nexus 5 (capable of 30 megs down), the sprint nexus 5 sees every network except t-mobile's. I'm talking about the search for network menu, it shows AT&T almost always, shows verizon and metropcs' old network (311 660) and also shows sprint's lte network. All but T-Mobile's

So I decided I would swap out the antenna (the piece at the bottom held in by 4 screws that also has the loudspeaker attached to it).
With the sprint nexus' antenna in my google play nexus, everything works just fine in my google play nexus. With the google play nexus' antenna in the sprint nexus, nothings different and I cannot get LTE at all and weak HSPA.

it says "HH.SKU.1.0905" on my google play nexus 5, on the sprint one it says "HH.SKU.1.0816"

both hardware version 11. the water sticker on the sprint nexus is slightly pink, but i havent noticed any other problems

once i get in touch with my buddy who has sprint im gonna test his sim in this and see if i can get full signal LTE or what

Assuming it didn't get too wet to mess things up, are the radios the same and ROMs the same and the bands in *#*#4636#*#* under Phone, menu, Bands?

gnarlycs

Jun 4, 2011
Assuming it didn't get too wet to mess things up, are the radios the same and ROMs the same and the bands in *#*#4636#*#* under Phone, menu, Bands?

When u say radio do you mean the firmware or the physical hardware? How do I check that and can't I try some different radio firmwares and maybe one will work?

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach

Maybe i am wrong. But how could you expect a Sprint device to get GSM LTE? They(sprint) use different band and different technology for LTE than T-Mobile's.

I already mod my sprint lg g2 and galaxy s4 to work on att 3g network. But there is no way they could get att LTE. No a chance. It is hardware difference.

You could unlock a att device to work on T-Mobile LTE. But not a sprint device. Physically can't dow

gnarlycs

Jun 4, 2011
Firmware. Verify everything is the same in Settings -> About Phone (Baseband version, build number)

i tried with stock L preview and then went to stock kitkatt 4.4.4 and now im using multirom with cm11. the basebands are the same

Maybe i am wrong. But how could you expect a Sprint device to get GSM LTE? They(sprint) use different band and different technology for LTE than T-Mobile's.

I already mod my sprint lg g2 and galaxy s4 to work on att 3g network. But there is no way they could get att LTE. No a chance. It is hardware difference.

You could unlock a att device to work on T-Mobile LTE. But not a sprint device. Physically can't dow

sorry to bust the news but you are wrong because all nexus 5 devices (not counting overseas) support the same frequencies. sprint uses 800 mhz lte, tmobile uses 1700/2100. all american nexus 5s support both those

Reactions: laofan

bbedward

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Cleveland, OH
i tried with stock L preview and then went to stock kitkatt 4.4.4 and now im using multirom with cm11. the basebands are the same

sorry to bust the news but you are wrong because all nexus 5 devices (not counting overseas) support the same frequencies. sprint uses 800 mhz lte, tmobile uses 1700/2100. all american nexus 5s support both those

The nexus 5's are all the same. The S4 and G2 he was referring to are not (but we are talking about the nexus 5 at least :p)

If everythings configured the same, probably some other fault in the device. I'm not entirely sure what antenna you removed but are you sure it's the right one?

Reactions: laofan

gnarlycs

Jun 4, 2011
The nexus 5's are all the same. The S4 and G2 he was referring to are not (but we are talking about the nexus 5 at least :p)

If everythings configured the same, probably some other fault in the device. I'm not entirely sure what antenna you removed but are you sure it's the right one?

dZpIDO2.jpg

gnarlycs

Jun 4, 2011
here's an update. the guy i bought the sprint nexus from wants to buy it back from me. so i'm guessing there's nothing wrong with it considering he wants to use it again

Circaflex

Dec 12, 2008
Tustin
I recently ditched sprint and went to tmobile with my sprint n5 I had to do a factory reset but it works perfectly.

Ltdrev

Aug 28, 2013
YUL/YYZ
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firmware. Verify everything is the same in Settings -> About Phone (Baseband version, build number)