[APP] ADB filesystem plugin for Total Commander

Search This thread

sztupy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
EDIT: Aleq has posted updated versions here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23937844&postcount=36

Checked whether a project for creating a WinCE like plugin for total commander already exist, but couldn't find one, so here it is.

Disclaimer: This plugin is still in it's infancy, therefore it might crash you, your PC or your phone. It might not even start. But it'll improve.

1. What's this?
This is a filesystem plugin for total commander that let's you browse and modify the contents of your phone while using total commander

2. Why?
Although there are some android file managers out there, none of them I've found integrates into total commander. And if you've already using tcmd as a general file manager you usually don't want to open up a new program just to access your filesystem.

3. How?
The plugin uses the "adb shell" interface to communicate with the phone. It issues simple linux commands, parses the results and shows them to you in tcmd.

4. What's needed?
Total commander on your PC, busybox on your phone (root is not needed, but it will be used if available), and USB debugging turned on as well. Next download the plugin, open it in total commander and let it install.

5. Download location?
Download the latest version from here: http://github.com/sztupy/adbfsplugin/downloads

6. Supported features?
- directory listing
- copying from/to phone (very slow)
- copying/moving/renaming inside the phone
- creating and deleting directories

7. Whats needed?
- Better error handling
- Command line interface
- Attribute changing
- APK management
- etc.

8. Common pitfalls/limitations/etc.
- If the plugin can't start the adb server, wait a bit, then try it again
- The plugin won't ask you whether you want to overwrite a file or not, it will overwrite it
- Uploading and downloading files is very-very slow
- The plugin starts by trying to use su. If it can't get permission to use su (for example you pressed deny on the superuser page), it will run as a normal user.

Licence: GPLv3 (with the added exception that allows you to use the plugin with total commander... duh) and CC-BY-SA

Screenshot:
attachment.php

Attachments

• tcmd.jpg
    tcmd.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 18,691
Last edited:

tristan202

Nov 12, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Excellent. I will follow the development of this plugin closely. For now I can't use it. I get an error when trying to browse the phone.

Code:
<0005 - stat failed>

EDIT: I am on a HTC Hero running CyanogenMOD 6.

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
Thanks for this... I have been using total commander for a few years now and I love it. I also use it to open up apk files and change images within them if I need too. I have made a lot of changes to my framework-res and com.htc.resources png files by simply using total commander. So great job on this

HTCore

Dec 12, 2004
LA
Perfect, thank you. Must needed tool for total commander and android users.

ratson

Nov 2, 2009
andrs.w3pla.net
OnePlus 11
this is fine.
-it doesn't play nice with older busybox versions, there is an app (called Busybox) on the market that tries to install/update busybox, it is a great help
-symbolic links are not playing nice

other ways this is amazing ;)

f3d0r

Feb 8, 2007
very nice idea ;)

It would be nice if the plugin would use my already installed adb server instead of starting it's own (maybe in the future outdated) version.

Last edited:

sztupy

Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
Symbolink links and more compatibility with busybox < 1.17.1 is coming soon. I'm also working on linking this with adb putty, so running commands from the command line should work too.

jjwa

Jun 24, 2010
Enschede
I have installed the plugin, and have my phone connected in debug mode, but how do I access it now? I confirmed that adb shell is able to connect, but in Total Commander I see no way to access my phone. (The drive letters that are usually used for access while mounted don't work.)

I have experience with Total Commander, I have used adb shell, but I can't really figure this thing out...

sztupy

Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
I have installed the plugin, and have my phone connected in debug mode, but how do I access it now? I confirmed that adb shell is able to connect, but in Total Commander I see no way to access my phone. (The drive letters that are usually used for access while mounted don't work.)

I have experience with Total Commander, I have used adb shell, but I can't really figure this thing out...

filesystem plugins ccan be found at the network neighborhood

jjwa

Jun 24, 2010
Enschede
filesystem plugins ccan be found at the network neighborhood
Oh wow, that is not a place I would look for my USB-connected phone :).

But it works now, thanks :).

Edit:
it is indeed very slow. A shame, because that means it's actually not a practical way to regularly put music and videos on my phone and download my photos off of it. Is there a chance the low speed can be fixed?

Also, there are several applications that allow you to use ADB wirelessly, could you support that in this plugin? Would be a very nice feature! :)
I believe they all use 'adb connect IP-address:port' on the computer's side to connect to it, so that does not sound very difficult to me.

Thanks for your work so far, initiatives like these are very appreciated

Last edited:

sztupy

Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
Oh wow, that is not a place I would look for my USB-connected phone :).

But it works now, thanks :).

Edit:
it is indeed very slow. A shame, because that means it's actually not a practical way to regularly put music and videos on my phone and download my photos off of it. Is there a chance the low speed can be fixed?

Also, there are several applications that allow you to use ADB wirelessly, could you support that in this plugin? Would be a very nice feature! :)
I believe they all use 'adb connect IP-address:port' on the computer's side to connect to it, so that does not sound very difficult to me.

Thanks for your work so far, initiatives like these are very appreciated

The speed issue is on the todo list, but it will be never as fast as the native usb connection. (the same was true with the WinCE/activesync plugin too)

k87qc76ghc5

Oct 8, 2010
Win XP / TC 7.55a
Installation OK, but no registered name "Android" available in TC's network neighborhood. (even though TC plugins manager reports successful registration).
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An update!

Hi Everybody and esp. Sztupy.
    I tried the plugin but it was never properly working for me - it listed only / and without anything else, everything looked like file etc. Since the last update has been done a year and half ago, I decided to try by myself.

The problem is/was current busybox (1.19.4) as I have noticed on my SGS2 with CM9 and B&N Nook Tablet with CM7.2. It does not support "stat -c" which this plugin uses to obtain details about file/folder. I rewrote it to use widely used/available stat -t (if stat -c is not supported) and also temporarily HACKED links to be shown as directories (you can get into /etc, /sdcard now). The source-code is not completely tidied up yet, there is a lot of debugging messages also. I hope I get back to it soon and prepare better release. I have a lot of ideas how to improve it, let's see if I get to it.

So until I do, I present you updated version that should (hopefully) work on all new rooted (= with busybox), ADB connected devices. If you are having problems, execute "adb devices" and check if your device is listed. If not, search web/xda for ADB connectivity resolution. That's not in the scope of this post/thread.

As a bonus you get also 64-bit version, since Christian Ghisler is publicly testing already TC 8.0 x64 :)

Enjoy,
    Aleq

P.S.:
    - "release" versions don't have debug information, the functionality is the same
    - x64 is 64-bit version, the other one is 32-bit

If you don't know which one, take adbfsplugin-0.7+aleq_release.zip :)
    EDIT: Aleq has posted updated versions here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23937844&postcount=36

Checked whether a project for creating a WinCE like plugin for total commander already exist, but couldn't find one, so here it is.

Disclaimer: This plugin is still in it's infancy, therefore it might crash you, your PC or your phone. It might not even start. But it'll improve.

1. What's this?
    This is a filesystem plugin for total commander that let's you browse and modify the contents of your phone while using total commander

2. Why?
    Although there are some android file managers out there, none of them I've found integrates into total commander. And if you've already using tcmd as a general file manager you usually don't want to open up a new program just to access your filesystem.

3. How?
    The plugin uses the "adb shell" interface to communicate with the phone. It issues simple linux commands, parses the results and shows them to you in tcmd.

4. What's needed?
    Total commander on your PC, busybox on your phone (root is not needed, but it will be used if available), and USB debugging turned on as well. Next download the plugin, open it in total commander and let it install.

5. Download location?
    Download the latest version from here: http://github.com/sztupy/adbfsplugin/downloads

6. Supported features?
    - directory listing
    - copying from/to phone (very slow)
    - copying/moving/renaming inside the phone
    - creating and deleting directories

7. Whats needed?
    - Better error handling
    - Command line interface
    - Attribute changing
    - APK management
    - etc.

8. Common pitfalls/limitations/etc.
    - If the plugin can't start the adb server, wait a bit, then try it again
    - The plugin won't ask you whether you want to overwrite a file or not, it will overwrite it
    - Uploading and downloading files is very-very slow
    - The plugin starts by trying to use su. If it can't get permission to use su (for example you pressed deny on the superuser page), it will run as a normal user.

Licence: GPLv3 (with the added exception that allows you to use the plugin with total commander... duh) and CC-BY-SA

Screenshot:
    attachment.php
    Test version sent to both of you via PM. It still needs testing and fine tuning. I'll upload public version soon, as soon as I finish it. Anybody willing to beta test, PM me.

What's coming:
    - connection fixes (for some devices) by Michail Kuropiatnikov (micdelt)
    - much faster download/upload (direct ADB calls)
    - file date/time (experimental, under development)
    - support for not rooted devices (no busybox)
    - ... + some more, minor changes ...

I'm experiencing now issue with inaccurate date and time. No matter what I do, I get it "slightly" off in TC. See my post about that at Ghisler's forum
    Anything new available? Neither version works for me, despite device (Xperia Ray ICS 4.0.4) is rooted and busybox 1.19.0 installed. It delivers <000A - no ack from adb server>.
    try http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/android_adb.html