Search This thread

samcaplat

Mar 1, 2011
This thread is dedicated to helping you root your ASUS Transformer. Either method may not work if you are using a device with serial number 'B70' or above.

If you have updated your Transformer to 8.6.5.21 using the latest OTA, please install the downgrade-fix below, 8.6.6.19, to successfully use Razorclaw.

Video

Resources

Razorclaw: http://androidroot.mobi/2011/11/14/introducing-razorclaw-v1

It is extremely important you read the Razorclaw documentation in full.

Update to 8.6.5.13: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?..
Update to 8.6.5.19/Fix for 8.6.5.21 users: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1417006
You must update to 8.6.5.13 to update to 8.6.5.19.

NVFlash: http://www.xda-developers.com/nvflash.zip

NVFlash ROM's: PRIME and Revolver

Text and images

update-razorclaw.png

Unbrick Your Device / How to use NVFlash

In the unlikely event you brick your device, don't worry, it can be saved. It's very easy. Please download NVFlash and any ROM flashable using NVFlash above, and follow the steps below.

Put your device in APX mode: Connect your device to your computer via USB and power on the device holding both the Power and Volume Up buttons for about 3-5 seconds. The screen will remain black.

Install the required drivers for APX: If you haven't installed them already, find your “APX” device in Device Manager and update driver manually, pointing it at usbpcdriver in the nvflash.zip.

Prepare your ROM: Download your chosen NVFlash ROM and place the system.img, recovery.img, and boot.img in the nvflashtf directory. "/nvflash/nvflashtf/".

Start the process: Run download.sh (Linux only) or download.bat (Windows only) to start the process.

NOTE: NVFLASH CAN ONLY BE USED ON AN SBK1 DEVICE. PLEASE CHECK YOUR DEVICE IS COMPATIBLE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS METHOD.

Last edited:

Mechanisms

Oct 29, 2011
Razorclaw's tool is the easiest way to root and I think Prime does allow to OC (its in the Prime Tweaks options...)

Reactions: Costa276

jdubau55

Sep 1, 2010
Radford, VA
i used razorclaw and rooted succesfully. How do i install cwm now?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346180

Mad simple.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

This is a very well thought out thread with a great layout. However, the Razorclaw app and Recovery Installer app method is much much much easier. No computer needed. No drivers or cables needed. Just your TF and a connection.

These 2 apps need to be added to the reference thread. The info there is outdated.

Reactions: sert00

sert00

May 28, 2011
cesena,IT
that was an older method..razorclaw is more convenient,no pc,no cable.IMO there isn't needed a tuto for root,because is too simple...install an pak...install anotheer one to have cwm...that's it!!:confused:

sert00

May 28, 2011
cesena,IT
nothin' mate,it is very easy now with that!;)the only problem,not for me,is the future asus's ota that can brick the device if we return to stock and upgrade from asus....

sert00

May 28, 2011
cesena,IT
infact for me it isn't a problem,but i red that for some people is bad don'r receive ota asus anymore.personally i go with revolver,until fabio released an ics build!:)

KingNothingUA

Nov 3, 2010
nothin' mate,it is very easy now with that!;)the only problem,not for me,is the future asus's ota that can brick the device if we return to stock and upgrade from asus....

can you specify that? you say, it is not always possible to flash a stock rom and then recieve ota updates? let us suggest, ics comes out from asus. then i am not able to switch back to stock and get the ics update?
is there a thread where this topic is discussed? ididnt find any unfortunately..

NeedATab

Jul 10, 2011
help!
after i put my tf on apx mode and click backup and root the toolkit starts the rooting but at some point i get this message:
could not find modded image program cannot continue

and then i get :
modified boot could not be created program cannot continue

.....................................................................................

what should i do ?!? i want rooted tf with revolver !!!

BossNexusS

May 25, 2011
hey I just bought atrnsformer tab and I want to install different toms on it.. But this tutorial says it is defunct.. Does it still work? Or what??

BossNexusS

May 25, 2011

Thank you very much :)

Sent from your bedroom with my GT-I9100

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Hey i know noob question.. but i just got the transformer tab and its an 8.4... build.. how do i get it to the 8.6..19 build?! i searched their site too and i cant find anything.. please help

NVM i gots it :) ......................................................

Last edited:

samcaplat

Mar 1, 2011
Hey i know noob question.. but i just got the transformer tab and its an 8.4... build.. how do i get it to the 8.6..19 build?! i searched their site too and i cant find anything.. please help

NVM i gots it :) ......................................................

This method works, but an update is coming when I get clearance to add Razorclaw. Sorry for the wait.

Tazzaras

Dec 31, 2010
Reno
My biggest concern is if something happens to it and I need to claim it on warranty, or I brick it somehow. Mine is B90 so I'll have no way to recover it if I root :s

My understanding is that once you are rooted any unroot method should work to bring you back regardless of the model number. I haven't had the need to revert back. I also have a B90 and am rooted with CWR. There are two threads about unrooting in this thread that people claim success but have yet to figure out if anyone had a B90. I'm assuming soon people will try to unroot now that a lot more people probably own a B90 model.

NeedATab

Jul 10, 2011
help!
after i put my tf on apx mode and click backup and root the toolkit starts the rooting but at some point i get this message:
could not find modded image program cannot continue

and then i get :
modified boot could not be created program cannot continue

.................................................. ...................................

what should i do ?!? i want rooted tf with revolver !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is dedicated to helping you root your ASUS Transformer. Either method may not work if you are using a device with serial number 'B70' or above.

If you have updated your Transformer to 8.6.5.21 using the latest OTA, please install the downgrade-fix below, 8.6.6.19, to successfully use Razorclaw.

Video

Resources

Razorclaw: http://androidroot.mobi/2011/11/14/introducing-razorclaw-v1

It is extremely important you read the Razorclaw documentation in full.

Update to 8.6.5.13: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?..
    Update to 8.6.5.19/Fix for 8.6.5.21 users: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1417006
    You must update to 8.6.5.13 to update to 8.6.5.19.

NVFlash: http://www.xda-developers.com/nvflash.zip

NVFlash ROM's: PRIME and Revolver

Text and images

update-razorclaw.png

Unbrick Your Device / How to use NVFlash

In the unlikely event you brick your device, don't worry, it can be saved. It's very easy. Please download NVFlash and any ROM flashable using NVFlash above, and follow the steps below.

Put your device in APX mode: Connect your device to your computer via USB and power on the device holding both the Power and Volume Up buttons for about 3-5 seconds. The screen will remain black.

Install the required drivers for APX: If you haven't installed them already, find your “APX” device in Device Manager and update driver manually, pointing it at usbpcdriver in the nvflash.zip.

Prepare your ROM: Download your chosen NVFlash ROM and place the system.img, recovery.img, and boot.img in the nvflashtf directory. "/nvflash/nvflashtf/".

Start the process: Run download.sh (Linux only) or download.bat (Windows only) to start the process.

NOTE: NVFLASH CAN ONLY BE USED ON AN SBK1 DEVICE. PLEASE CHECK YOUR DEVICE IS COMPATIBLE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS METHOD.
    Hey guys,

I was driven to despair by the constant reboots and batterydrains (and it seems i am not alone). First i figured ASUS would be hotfixing this quite quickly, but this week i got tired of waiting, googled the crap out of it, found xda, and discovered i would need root and replace kernel and/or firmware. The replacing of stuff has not happened yet (that'll be for the weekend), but i wanted to share the steps i took to get root and install CWM, for the people who happen to be on the same series/firmware.

Model : TF101, serial B60 (the illusive B** can be found on a sticker next to the charging inlet at the bottom of your tablet)

Build Number : IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.17

1) Download ViperMod PrimeTime (latest current version is 4.5). Its folder contains drivers for your tablet, you will have to install these (control panel>hardware and sounds>device management, select your asus, doubleclick the "asus android composite adb interface", go to "driver", select update, and then select the folder you unzipped vipermod into, make sure you flag 'select underlying folders')

2) Run the exe in the vipermod folder to get root privileges . Option 3 (recommended option) failed for me a couple times, but option 1 did it! U Haz Root!! congratz

3) Make sure rooting was achieved, and do it in a useful way : download Titanium Backup from the Market (or google play if u like that name more), and run it. If rooting failed, you will get a message saying titanium backup didnt receive root. If rooting was succesful, you can give TB permission to run with superuser privileges.

4) Since you are probably about to do some 'dangerous' stuff, and you have Titanium Backup opened anyway, backing up your system and user files may be a good idea :)

5) ViperMod could not flash ClockWorkRecovery for me, but thanks to gnufabio's RecoveryInstaller(download and run from your tablet to install) i managed to install it AND acces recovery. I tried ROMManager as well, with no succes, it would not allow me to reboot into recovery. So yay for gnufabio

That's my progress report so far, later this weekend i will be trying to flash a new kernel and try some ROMs while i'm at it.

Hope this helps anyone with my model/build who needs to get root/recovery, consider it a brief thank you for all the useful info i found here
    Hi there,

Anyone have a procedure to root the 9.2.1.17 firmware?

Thanks.

Have you try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21009605
    I wrote a tutorial on how to root your .21 Transformer, based upon Wolf's method. If anyone's interested, it can be found here:
    http://freek.ws/2012/05/07/howto-ro...s-9-4-2-21-without-unlocking-your-bootloader/
    Version 8.6.6.19 is supported for the TF101G, but I cannot test 8.6.6.23. Download the tool and have a look. Please report your experience so I can update this thread.

I try with Razorclaw but it fails.

Can I downgrade to 8.6.6.19?