Monoprice Premium USB Cable Charging Speeds

Search This thread

Rambler76

Oct 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing some monoprice premimum mico usb charging cables but before I spring AUD$26 for shipping plus cables, I'd like to know what sort of charge people that people are getting in mA .

I know the N5 charger maxes out at 1.2A and the N5 is limited to 1.65A itself, however I'd like to know if anyone is getting between these two figures by using a monoprice cable.

I'm getting the following using CurrentWidget

Stock N5 charger and cable - 1,012mA

HP Touchpad charger (5.3V/2A) and cable - 1,015mA

Apple 10W charger (5.1V/2.1A) and 28AWG/2C cable - 930mA

It would be great if people could post what charger they are using with the monoprice premium cable together with the mA they are getting with their N5.

Also, if your using another type of cable that allows for charging between 1.2A and 1.65A that would be great too.

Thanks

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
I ordered some of the 6ft premium usb cables ,will let you know when i get them. My original usb cable that came with the phone has a bad connection wobbles. Using Battery Monitor Widget the highest i got was

980mA - OEM Nexus charger and cable. Charging from 60%, will test more when battery depletes.

Last edited:

Rambler76

Oct 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
I ordered some of the 6ft premium usb cables ,will let you know when i get them. My original usb cable that came with the phone has a bad connection wobbles. Using Battery Monitor Widget the highest i got was

980mA - OEM Nexus charger and cable. Charging from 60%, will test more when battery depletes.

Thanks for the offer to test the monoprice cables and report back.

In the interim I've ordered some Motorola Ecomoto cables which from a video review on xda showed a charge of around 1,480mA on a N5 using current widget. I'll also report back once I get these.

jrbalazo

Mar 11, 2014
Was looking to try either Ecomoto or the Monoprice premium cables. Looking forward to hearing both your opinions on them.

Native89

Aug 9, 2011
Maui, Hawaii
I have the 6ft Premium cables and did a quick comparison using Battery Monitor Widget suggested above. Both screenshots are using the OEM wall wart and at ~80% battery.

OEM Cable
a6a3yhe5.jpg

MonoPrice Cable
vatubeta.jpg

Not much of a difference, but a more thorough comparison might show a bigger difference. I'll leave that to the others in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

raptir

May 4, 2010
I have the 6ft Premium Cable from Monoprice and I see up to 1050 mA using the stock charger.

Rambler76

Oct 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
I have the 6ft Premium Cable from Monoprice and I see up to 1050 mA using the stock charger.

raptir, that doesnt seem to be good news.

Are there any markings on the cable to tell whether it has 28AWG/2C or 24AWG/2C power conductors?

From what I've read it appears that you need 24AWG/2C power conductors to be able to handle charging above the 1,000mA mark.

I'm still waiting on delivery of the Motorola Ecomoto cables, but for those who are interested I purchased them from this US based seller on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360885775315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also purchased this cable from another ebay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111292267460?var=410287001944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. The cable states it supports a 2.1A fast charge and the cross section in the ebay listing shows 24AWG/2C power conductors, so it looks promising.

Its going to be a few weeks until I get these cables and provide a review, so please subscribe to this thread to get updates when I do.

raptir

May 4, 2010
raptir, that doesnt seem to be good news.

Are there any markings on the cable to tell whether it has 28AWG/2C or 24AWG/2C power conductors?

From what I've read it appears that you need 24AWG/2C power conductors to be able to handle charging above the 1,000mA mark.

I'm still waiting on delivery of the Motorola Ecomoto cables, but for those who are interested I purchased them from this US based seller on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360885775315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also purchased this cable from another ebay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111292267460?var=410287001944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. The cable states it supports a 2.1A fast charge and the cross section in the ebay listing shows 24AWG/2C power conductors, so it looks promising.

Its going to be a few weeks until I get these cables and provide a review, so please subscribe to this thread to get updates when I do.

If it's "not good news" then it's bad news about the charger, not the cable. You said you get slightly less from your stock cable with the stock charger. A 1.2A charger is never going to actually give you 1.2A charging speed. They're just not 100% efficient.

Edit: Fast charging is also not the best thing for your battery, and that's why they don't just ship every phone with a 2A charger and let you have at it. A higher charging rate leads to increased battery degradation.

Last edited:

Rambler76

Oct 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
If it's "not good news" then it's bad news about the charger, not the cable. You said you get slightly less from your stock cable with the stock charger. A 1.2A charger is never going to actually give you 1.2A charging speed. They're just not 100% efficient.

Edit: Fast charging is also not the best thing for your battery, and that's why they don't just ship every phone with a 2A charger and let you have at it. A higher charging rate leads to increased battery degradation.

Do you have another charger perhaps a 2A one to test the cable with so that we can confirm that it definitely isn't the cable.

I know that the stock charger is limited to 1.2A so even if the charger is 80% efficient you'd be getting just below a 1A charge which probably explains why everyone using a stock charger is getting this.

I don't quite agree with the battery degradation due to fast charges. I've always been of the opinion that it has to do with chargers that have a higher voltage spec, eg higher than 5V rather than the amps they're pushing out.

For instance the 1A Apple charger has been measured to provide a current of 1.79A and the 2A charger provides 3.4A

I really haven't come across any that are way over 5V in my time. Seeing that Apple's 2A charger uses 5.1V and the HP Touchpad charger which is one of the best chargers out there uses 5.3V, I don't think that any of these would be causing accelerated degradation or damage to the battery.

Last edited:

Noriega813

Dec 22, 2010
Houston AKA Space City
I've had the monoprice cables for over 5 months and they charge fast and great, one problem is that the tips start separating from and you can start seeing the inside. It'll still charged fast and without problems, I have 2 in my car and 4 in my house only 2 don't have this problem. Overall these cables charge fast partnered up with my HP touchpad and nexus 7 chargers.

Rambler76

Oct 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
I've had the monoprice cables for over 5 months and they charge fast and great, one problem is that the tips start separating from and you can start seeing the inside. It'll still charged fast and without problems, I have 2 in my car and 4 in my house only 2 don't have this problem. Overall these cables charge fast partnered up with my HP touchpad and nexus 7 chargers.

Thanks Noriega813.

Any chance of a test with the cable and the HP touchpad charger using CurrentWidget?

I dont know which N7 charger you have but I do note that the 2013 edition is rated at 1.35A so you be limited to about 1A with it. The 2012 edition should be OK as that outputs 2A.

Last edited:

Noriega813

Dec 22, 2010
Houston AKA Space City
Thanks Noriega813.

Any chance of a test with the cable and the HP touchpad charger using CurrentWidget?

I dont know which N7 charger you have but I do note that the 2013 edition is rated at 1.35A so you be limited to about 1A with it. The 2012 edition should be OK as that outputs 2A.

Sure, soon as I get home I'll test it out. I have two of them and post results of both to show how they're doing.

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010
I have the monoprice 3 and 6 foot premium cables. I've also got an inline USB current meter so I can test current directly.

According to an email from monoprice they are 28 gauge. I also got some 24 gauge monoprice USB extension cables (3 foot) that i planned to use with some adapters.

For testing I used a 2A Samsung power adapter (belonging to the Note 10.1 tablet) and either my Nexus 5 or my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet. The Note 10.1 when around 50% charge pulls slightly under 1.7A from it's own charger using the OEM cable. I have an adapter to allow me to charge the Note 10.1 using any micro USB cable so it's a better test for the cable as it pulls more current than the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 with a good cable pulls under 1.3A from the 2A charger.

Interestingly, I had no problem getting full current (up to 1.7A) from any of the Monoprice premium USB cables. I've read good reviews of these cables but was a little skeptical since they are 28 gauge but they do seem to work well for fast charging. I don't have a device that pulls more than 1.7A so I can't test its limits.

In contrast, when I add the 24 gauge extension (3 foot with a 3 foot cable so the total length is the same as a single 6 foot premium cable) I can't get any higher than 1A. I don't understand why it's so limited. I've used a number of additional adapter on the end such as a right angle adapter or the micro usb to Samsung connector without any noticeable loss in current. So either there is something wrong with monoprice's 24 gauge cables or they are using some seriously bad connectors.

I haven't had the premium cables for very long but have been using them happily in the car (3 foot) and at home (6 foot) for when I need to charge while using the phone (otherwise I use a Qi wireless charger). The connectors at the phone end could be a little slimmer - they do fit all the cases I've tried but it's a bit tight for some of them. The fact that the cables aren't too thick is nice for storage and flexibility. Only time will tell how durable they are.

I also have some older monoprice standard 26 gauge USB cables which also seem to be limited to 1A. (Correction: these are 28AWG not 26/28)

I've got some Startech right-angled USB cables which are convenient for my car due to the right angle but can't support currents above 500 mA. These are 30 gauge cables.

In summary:

1. The cable's gauge doesn't tell the whole story.
2. Monoprice premium USB cables do seem to be a good buy.

Last edited:

raptir

May 4, 2010
I don't quite agree with the battery degradation due to fast charges. I've always been of the opinion that it has to do with chargers that have a higher voltage spec, eg higher than 5V rather than the amps they're pushing out.

Charging voltage determines that final charge capacity. And yes, overcharging the battery does cause additional degradation. So does keeping the battery in too warm an environment. And charging speed. And discharging speed. And percent charge during storage. It's not just a single factor.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

According to an email from monoprice they are 28 gauge. I also got some 24 gauge monoprice USB extension cables (3 foot) that i planned to use with some adapters.

My guess it that they didn't give you the whole story on the cable gauge. The data lines are always 28 gauge, only the power lines are 24 vs 28.

That said, a 28 AWG wire can carry 2A without too much of an issue. Your only problem is going to be an increased voltage drop which may lead to incomplete charging of your battery.

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
I finally received the USB cables from monoprice, shipping was slow took over a week. Here are the results I got with Battery Monitor Widget.

Stock USB Cable 90% charge.

922mA
927mA
953mA
919mA
930mA

Monoprice 6" Premium USB Cable 90% charge.

873mA
710mA
805mA
714mA
863mA

This was just a quick comparison, will do another comparison when the battery discharges more. I'm not sure how accurate the battery monitor apps are. For most accurate results we probably need one of theses USB Volt Meters.

Last edited:

JCreazy

Jan 15, 2011
Missouri
I finally received the USB cables from monoprice, shipping was slow took over a week. Here are the results I got with Battery Monitor Widget.

Stock USB Cable 90% charge.

922mA
927mA
953mA
919mA
930mA

Monoprice 6" Premium USB Cable 90% charge.

873mA
710mA
805mA
714mA
863mA

This was just a quick comparison, will do another comparison when the battery discharges more. I'm not sure how accurate the battery monitor apps are. For most accurate results we probably need one of theses USB Volt Meters.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am curious if the differences have to do with length of cable. 6 feet is a long way to travel.