[Q] Installable system app?

Search This thread

Just2Cause

Oct 27, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Hello XDA Members.

I would like to know how to convert a non-installable system apk into normal installable apk.

Example:

Let's say that test.apk is a system app.
If I take it to another device and try to install it, it will say app not installed, but if I put it in /system/app and chmod 0644 it, it simply works.

So what I want to know is:

How can I make test.apk install normally same as any other apk file

Regards,
~J2C

Last edited:
Reactions: naheel azawy

Vaibhav Chauhan

Feb 17, 2014
Dahod, Gujarat
llo XDA Members.

I would like to know how to convert a non-installable system apk into normal installable apk.

Example:

Let's say that test.apk is a system app.
If I take it to another device and try to install it, it will say app not installed, but if I put it in /system/app and chmod 0644 it, it simply works.

So what I want to know is:

How can I make test.apk install normally same as any other apk file

Regards,
~J2C

after deodex the app it will work

Reactions: Just2Cause

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
There are a few different ways. The main issue being that it has to be signed to be able to install it in/data/app. Easiest way on the phone is this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kellinwood.zipsigner2

On the computer, there are a few different signing tools. Not entirely sure if it matters what SDK platform you are on as it has been awhile since I have played with apps like that.

Just2Cause

Oct 27, 2013
Doha, Qatar
after deodex the app it will work

I already deodexed it but it is still not installable

There are a few different ways. The main issue being that it has to be signed to be able to install it in/data/app. Easiest way on the phone is this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kellinwood.zipsigner2

On the computer, there are a few different signing tools. Not entirely sure if it matters what SDK platform you are on as it has been awhile since I have played with apps like that.

So if I re-sign it, it will work?

Just2Cause

Oct 27, 2013
Doha, Qatar
@es0tericcha0s

I signed it right now and removed it from /system/app so I can try it, it installed!

But didn't work.

The apk is a close all button from Xperia Z2, I extracted it and deodexed it and I was able to get it to work when it's in /system/app but after I signed it, it installs but it doesn't appear in the recent apps list, as if it wasn't installed.

So I want it to be installable.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
If it installed, then it's SOMEWHERE... Try this: Use a root explorer to browse through /data/app and see if you see it there. Sometime if the app isn't working right or has the wrong permissions, it'll install but can't see it. Which tool did you use to sign?

Just2Cause

Oct 27, 2013
Doha, Qatar
If it installed, then it's SOMEWHERE... Try this: Use a root explorer to browse through /data/app and see if you see it there. Sometime if the app isn't working right or has the wrong permissions, it'll install but can't see it. Which tool did you use to sign?

The app from play store that you suggested.

Edit:
It is in /data/app with rw-r--r-- permissions so it should work.
I attached the apk just in case if you want to check some things.

Edit 2:
The SystemUI.apk has this line in the AndroidManifest.xml:
Code:
<permission android:name="com.sonymobile.permission.TASK_SWITCHER_PLUGIN_VIEW" android:protectionLevel="signatureOrSystem" />

and this one is in the TaskKiller.apk's AndroidManifest.xml:
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="com.sonymobile.permission.TASK_SWITCHER_PLUGIN_VIEW" />

the TaskKiller is asking for permission from SystemUI instead of framework-res, idk why.

Attachments

• TaskKiller.apk
    30.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts