GNEX frozen at JB startup animation (multicolored X)

Search This thread

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
Hi, hope my exact issue wasn't discussed after page 10 of the help & troubleshoot forum, anyway my rooted, unlocked cwm recovery stock 4.2 yakju (if I remember well) Samsung GNEX started to behave strangely slower then usual less then a week ago, then a couple of days later I woke up after night battery recharge to the boot up animation which never gave way to the operating system starting up.
After the first moment of despair I tried reading something here and with the use of adb I was able to first see the device and, after backing up via recovery, to pull the files from the phone (backup included). Problem is the 0 folder is very light for all the data and apps that I had, and inside the DCIM folder there's nothing, no trace of the 1k+ picture I shot in the past couple years, only an igc file which should have been in another folder. But strangely enough the backup weights almost 6GB which is consistent with what was inside prior to the crash.
Before attempting the backup I fiddled with recovery and tried to wipe cache, dalvik and fixing permissions, with no apparent results.
So now I'm undecided whether to take the phone to a samsung job centre which will surely wipe all data and possibly find out I have a corrupt memory or partition table, which renders many files and folders unavailable to be adb pulled or to wipe data/restore factory by myself hopying, fingers crossed, that the backup actually saved all my files and that could be restored without hassle. I actually had hoped that, like for the desktop environment, there was the possibility to awake my phone with a linux live or whatever to check if all files were present and downloadable before actually restoring the phone.

Thanks for your interest and help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Pbk0TslYN6cm1wWWZydVM2V0k/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
This is probably what I was thinking to do in the last sentence, I just have no idea how this could be done. Are there any videos explaining a dirty flash for gnex out there? Thanks for your help

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Free mobile app

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
This is probably what I was thinking to do in the last sentence, I just have no idea how this could be done. Are there any videos explaining a dirty flash for gnex out there? Thanks for your help

Its really easy. Just wipe cache and dalvik cache and then flash your rom (the same rom that is on the phone) again. Reboot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: berniefranz

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
As far as I remember there is no identifiable rom files inside my GNEX memory, or wait, it seems I do already have a 6c7ff815e7762f651ad6f8c74e5cb281093f1e0b.signed-yakju-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.6c7ff815 zip in my download folder. So I need to clean cache and dalvik then install from zip. Do you know if this system wipes everything and I need to restore everything applying my hopefully working backup, or if it keeps all the files?
I'll try it tomorrow with fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Its really easy. Just wipe cache and dalvik cache and then flash your rom (the same rom that is on the phone) again. Reboot.

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
As far as I remember there is no identifiable rom files inside my GNEX memory, or wait, it seems I do already have a 6c7ff815e7762f651ad6f8c74e5cb281093f1e0b.signed-yakju-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.6c7ff815 zip in my download folder. So I need to clean cache and dalvik then install from zip. Do you know if this system wipes everything and I need to restore everything applying my hopefully working backup, or if it keeps all the files?
I'll try it tomorrow with fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Dirty flashing wont wipe any data. Only cache (which is only helpful with some speed). Cache will rebuild. If thats your rom. Dirty flash it. If it isnt. Adb push the right rom.

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
Then I don't think the mentioned file is the my rom but a rom update I wanted to push myself but never did. Now, I'm definitely sure it was already JB, but which flavour? 4.2 JOP40C, 4.2.1 JOP40D or 4.2.2 JDQ39? I guess it should have been the last one, if I intended to update from JDQ to JWR (according to the file name), and I'm quite sure it was Jakju but just can't remember for sure. Is there a way via recovery or adb to check which was my rom? :eek: Or should I just close my eyes and download and flash JDQ39?
Again, thanks

Dirty flashing wont wipe any data. Only cache (which is only helpful with some speed). Cache will rebuild. If thats your rom. Dirty flash it. If it isnt. Adb push the right rom.

Then I don't think the mentioned file is the my rom but a rom update I wanted to push myself but never did. Now, I'm definitely sure it was already JB, but which flavour? 4.2 JOP40C, 4.2.1 JOP40D or 4.2.2 JDQ39? I guess it should have been the last one, if I intended to update from JDQ to JWR (according to the file name), and I'm quite sure it was Jakju but just can't remember for sure. Is there a way via recovery or adb to check which was my rom? :eek: Or should I just close my eyes and download and flash JDQ39?
Again, thanks

I know that TWRP default names a nandroid as the ROM build name/number and date. Don't know what cwm does for that as its been ages since I used it. You could install twrp and see what that tells you as the name of backup maybe to try and grab current ROM info.
Or using the file manager in recovery(twrp has one dunno about cwm) and see if you can look at the build.prop in /system which will have all relevant ROM information. If you can use adb in recovery try pulling /system/build.prop and looking at it. Right near top will be ROM build and info

Reactions: berniefranz

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
Thanks, CWM doesn't have a file manager, but adb did actually pull the build prop id=JOP40D, so I'll go back to download the correct ROM and try to flash it..

I know that TWRP default names a nandroid as the ROM build name/number and date. Don't know what cwm does for that as its been ages since I used it. You could install twrp and see what that tells you as the name of backup maybe to try and grab current ROM info.
Or using the file manager in recovery(twrp has one dunno about cwm) and see if you can look at the build.prop in /system which will have all relevant ROM information. If you can use adb in recovery try pulling /system/build.prop and looking at it. Right near top will be ROM build and info

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
small update, I managed to download the correct rom and I tried to adb push the .tar to the device (twice and attempting a third to /sdcard/ /sdcard/clockworkmod/ and now /sdcard/0/Download/) but still haven't been able to spot the uploaded file to choose for dirty flash. adb shows the file as uploaded , but again no sign of it with CWM Recovery. should I try to install TWRP recovery? with the nexus toolkit there is a function to flash a rom, but it says it will wipe the device first, so it's really not the option I was looking for. Another strange behaviour of CWM Recovery, or maybe my phone, inside mounts and storage menu, mount sdcard seems to be not working as it never changes to unmount after you click it. I think my memory went berserk and that's the reason why the phone rebooted and never woke up again. Maybe I'll take to the nearest job center to ascertain the damage...

thanks for all your help

Thanks, CWM doesn't have a file manager, but adb did actually pull the build prop id=JOP40D, so I'll go back to download the correct ROM and try to flash it..

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
installed TWRP and was able to see to rom.tar uploaded via adb in the download folder, but wasn't able to use to flash as probably both recovery wants .zip and not .tar, so I'll now untar and zip the stock rom and upload it again...

small steps...

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
had a md5 check fail during flash, so still no good news. I was surfing a bit when noticed that developers.google.com doesn't have a factory image for 4.2.1 jop40d but only for 4.1.2 jzo54k. Does this mean I should flash 4.1.2 and then update, or try directly for the 4.2.1 which I can't find (a working one)?

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
went back to CWM but installation failed as well as TWRP, so I guess my last option is to take it to a samsung job center to check whether I have a corrupted memory or else... ANyway thanks everybody for your support..

had a md5 check fail during flash, so still no good news. I was surfing a bit when noticed that developers.google.com doesn't have a factory image for 4.2.1 jop40d but only for 4.1.2 jzo54k. Does this mean I should flash 4.1.2 and then update, or try directly for the 4.2.1 which I can't find (a working one)?

berniefranz

Nov 27, 2008
Had to take it to the job center where, it was downgraded to 4.0.4 (have still to check which flavour) fixed something and Wiped everything. When I side about he post mortem backup and the intention to try a restore from there I was give an are you kidding look, it could crash again... sigh.
Anyway thanks everyone that spent some time to try and explain a noob how to try to solve this issue.. Now I've got a new galaxy nexus, so after a little grievance I'll start reading on how to flash a nice rom... ;)

went back to CWM but installation failed as well as TWRP, so I guess my last option is to take it to a samsung job center to check whether I have a corrupted memory or else... ANyway thanks everybody for your support..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Again, thanks