[Q] GT-I9195 Black Edition - What to do in which order?

Search This thread
Hi,

please give keywords and guiding advice, I will try to find the corresponding threads by myself ;)

I have a brand new GT-I9195 Black Edition. I want to do as less damage as possible, so what do I have to do to get CM11 with Xposed framework running?

• I just switched it on, started KIES 2 and connected. No SIM-card is inserted, no microSD-card, no WiFi connection. The phone is offline.
  • KIES says that the firmware is the most recent and gives this:
    Code:
    I9195XXUBML4 / I9195YBTBNA2 / I9195XXUBML4 / I9195XXUBML4 (DBT)
  • I assume this is not the newest firmware, and according to this thread (German) "I9195XXUCNE6 I9195OXACNE6 DBT 4.4.2 23.05.2014 is newer.
    I have or see no possibility to upgrade via KIES.
  • Would the new firmware give me another, better modem/baseband firmware? If so, I would flash with Odin 3.09.
  • I think I need root permissions for Xposed and XPrivacy, at least this is what I did with my Sony Xperia mango. Is that correct?
    What steps do I have to take to get root access without interacting with KNOX? Does it make sense to avoid the KNOX counter increase?
    What part of the warranty will be void if KNOX is triggered?
  • What recovery should I use? There is already a recovery available, accessible by pressing Volume Up and home button at the same time when switching on.
  • I wanted to start with CM11 and no special kernel, just what CM11 brings, to keep it easy. So flashing serranoltexx M9 or later should be sufficient?
  • How do I get Xposed and XPrivacy to work? I want it working before putting in the SIM card and connecting to the internet. Do I have to worry about dalvik and ART?
  • GApps 20140105 from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps are the right ones?
  • Did I forget something?

Thank you

Raubsau

Last edited:
Reactions: soikku

MarkAndroid.UK

You answered most of it yourself, just go for it and you will learn even more doing it.

If I were you I would probably flash TWRP 2.7.1, latest stable CM11, and a gapps from CM or wherever. Install xposed and whatever modules. Done.

Xposed is sort of contained/maintained within itself but it and its modules install just the same. Its easy to set up. I don't know Xprivacy at alll.

You can flash and try any compatible kernels from here anytime. Remember Nandroid and Titanium backups are your best mates.

Forget about Kies, you won't need it. CM11 firmware should provide a more than adequate modem and everything you need to go.

Reactions: Raubsau
You answered most of it yourself, just go for it and you will learn even more doing it.

If I were you I would probably flash TWRP 2.7.1, latest stable CM11, and a gapps from CM or wherever. Install xposed and whatever modules. Done.

Xposed is sort of contained/maintained within itself but it and its modules install just the same. Its easy to set up. I don't know Xprivacy at alll.

You can flash and try any compatible kernels from here anytime. Remember Nandroid and Titanium backups are your best mates.

Forget about Kies, you won't need it. CM11 firmware should provide a more than adequate modem and everything you need to go.

I don't want to brick the device, that's why I'm asking.

Each thread seems to recommend CWM - why do you suggest TWRP?

I want to install Xposed an the XPrivacy module even before starting CM for the first time - I'm not afraid of injecting the .apk via ADB, if there is a way to connect without enabling dev mode or similar. Any idea about how to do that?
(XPrivacy is restriction management on a very fine grain level - if you want to restrict the phone app from actually making a phone call, or any (even system!) app from reading your conatcs or only certain contacts, this is your best friend. Similar but way mightier to the good old PDroid :good:)

I thought the modem was something independent from the ROM? More like a driver for an auxiliary processor?

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011

I want to install Xposed an the XPrivacy module even before starting CM for the first time - I'm not afraid of injecting the .apk via ADB, if there is a way to connect without enabling dev mode or similar. Any idea about how to do that?
(XPrivacy is restriction management on a very fine grain level - if you want to restrict the phone app from actually making a phone call, or any (even system!) app from reading your conatcs or only certain contacts, this is your best friend. Similar but way mightier to the good old PDroid :good:)

I thought the modem was something independent from the ROM? More like a driver for an auxiliary processor?

Why is it so important to you to install XPrivacy before first boot?

MarkAndroid.UK

No one wants to brick their device, do they? I've never bricked mine and I've made lots of mistakes. It is highly unlikely unless you try to flash something not meant for your device or something similarly bad.

I certainly haven't found CWM being recommended over TWRP - devs here tend not to recommend, just point things out; ALL choices are yours. There is always a risk but if you want to be safe then why are you here!

I first flashed TWRP because it was touch screen and had more options to back up partitions separately, such as EFS strangely enough; EFS partition contains the modem stuff. So you could archive your EFS and flash it back if any ROM overwrites it. ROM's are built from components and not everything has to be there - one of the brilliant things about Android is how it interfaces with all the different aspects of a mobile device - it appears to be one program running everything but it is extremely modular.

With external apk's I just copy them to external SD and install them on the phone.

Last edited:

MarkAndroid.UK

Do I have to worry about dalvik and ART?
Forgot this bit!

No. You can elect to use ART in the system setting of some ROM's (certainly SLIM) and I know some people who do. However, ART is still under development and by no means are all apps ready for it yet. Xposed Framework itself will not work under ART and won't be for quite a while yet.

There is always a risk but if you want to be safe then why are you here!

I first flashed TWRP because it was touch screen and had more options to back up partitions separately, such as EFS strangely enough; EFS partition contains the modem stuff. So you could archive your EFS and flash it back if any ROM overwrites it.

With external apk's I just copy them to external SD and install them on the phone.

I just want to minimize the risk, this phone was more expensive than the last one which had to take one or two for the team.

I will root with Odin as suggested here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43622999&postcount=1
How do I delete the Knox stuff, then? Just flash CM11? I understood Knox is independent from ROM?

dalvik/ART: Good, I will not try to activate/use ART, then.

MarkAndroid.UK

I just want to minimize the risk, this phone was more expensive than the last one which had to take one or two for the team.

I will root with Odin as suggested here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43622999&postcount=1
How do I delete the Knox stuff, then? Just flash CM11? I understood Knox is independent from ROM?

dalvik/ART: Good, I will not try to activate/use ART, then.

Yes, those root instructions are good. The Knox issue shouldn't be a problem and you can deal with it post ROM flash by removing those files mentioned in your link. The flag will be tripped (it appears it is tripped if the bootloader is modified rather than just root but it is that sort of level) but that doesn't void the warranty in the EU anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quick addition : No 7 in those instructions MUST be done otherwise I don't think you get root. It is tricky, just be prepared - it resets quickly. If you miss it I think you go back to no 3 again to get to download mode.

Yes, those root instructions are good. The Knox issue shouldn't be a problem and you can deal with it post ROM flash by removing those files mentioned in your link. The flag will be tripped (it appears it is tripped if the bootloader is modified rather than just root but it is that sort of level) but that doesn't void the warranty in the EU anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quick addition : No 7 in those instructions MUST be done otherwise I don't think you get root. It is tricky, just be prepared - it resets quickly. If you miss it I think you go back to no 3 again to get to download mode.

Alright, that went smooth. Now which GApps do I need? http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
If so, why not "small"?

soikku

May 5, 2015
Hello RaubSau

Have you successfully installed CM onto your Galaxy S4 mini black edition?

I intend to buy the 'black edition' too but I am worried whether the internals changed as it's a later model and hence CM wouldn't run on it...

black edition:
cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-I9190-black-edition.jpg

"ordinary" black version:
cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-I9190-1.jpg

Thanks a lot

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
Hello RaubSau
Have you successfully installed CM onto your Galaxy S4 mini black edition?
Thanks a lot

If the model number of the device you wish to buy is I9190 or I9195 then you can follow standard procedure.
Black edition is just cosmetic variation. Nothing special about that. Model number is always I9190/2/5.
So use normal procedure from threads in this forum. Good luck.

My phone looks like this:

cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-I9190-black-edition.jpg
Info in the Settings menu says "GT-I9195".

As I was using XPrivacy fromt the start, some of these problems may have occured because of wrong restrictions:
- orientation of indicator in Google Maps shows wrong direction
- no compass app is working

I use my phone for calling, reading and writing mails, and remote control my media box. In the few cases I needed it for navigation, it worked fine (regardless of the wrong indicator).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: soikku

soikku

May 5, 2015
Thank you for the replies, Raubsau and sasank360

Thank you for pointing out that the 'black edition' indeed is identical to the previous one internally.

I ordered the phone now and am looking forward to happy flashing (CM11 for the time being as freecyngn doesn't work for CM12 (yet)).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

please give keywords and guiding advice, I will try to find the corresponding threads by myself ;)

I have a brand new GT-I9195 Black Edition. I want to do as less damage as possible, so what do I have to do to get CM11 with Xposed framework running?

• I just switched it on, started KIES 2 and connected. No SIM-card is inserted, no microSD-card, no WiFi connection. The phone is offline.
    • KIES says that the firmware is the most recent and gives this:
      Code:
      I9195XXUBML4 / I9195YBTBNA2 / I9195XXUBML4 / I9195XXUBML4 (DBT)
    • I assume this is not the newest firmware, and according to this thread (German) "I9195XXUCNE6 I9195OXACNE6 DBT 4.4.2 23.05.2014 is newer.
      I have or see no possibility to upgrade via KIES.
    • Would the new firmware give me another, better modem/baseband firmware? If so, I would flash with Odin 3.09.
    • I think I need root permissions for Xposed and XPrivacy, at least this is what I did with my Sony Xperia mango. Is that correct?
      What steps do I have to take to get root access without interacting with KNOX? Does it make sense to avoid the KNOX counter increase?
      What part of the warranty will be void if KNOX is triggered?
    • What recovery should I use? There is already a recovery available, accessible by pressing Volume Up and home button at the same time when switching on.
    • I wanted to start with CM11 and no special kernel, just what CM11 brings, to keep it easy. So flashing serranoltexx M9 or later should be sufficient?
    • How do I get Xposed and XPrivacy to work? I want it working before putting in the SIM card and connecting to the internet. Do I have to worry about dalvik and ART?
    • GApps 20140105 from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps are the right ones?
    • Did I forget something?

Thank you

Raubsau

Why is it so important to you to install XPrivacy before first boot?

No one wants to brick their device, do they? I've never bricked mine and I've made lots of mistakes. It is highly unlikely unless you try to flash something not meant for your device or something similarly bad.

I certainly haven't found CWM being recommended over TWRP - devs here tend not to recommend, just point things out; ALL choices are yours. There is always a risk but if you want to be safe then why are you here!

I first flashed TWRP because it was touch screen and had more options to back up partitions separately, such as EFS strangely enough; EFS partition contains the modem stuff. So you could archive your EFS and flash it back if any ROM overwrites it. ROM's are built from components and not everything has to be there - one of the brilliant things about Android is how it interfaces with all the different aspects of a mobile device - it appears to be one program running everything but it is extremely modular.

Do I have to worry about dalvik and ART?
    Forgot this bit!

No. You can elect to use ART in the system setting of some ROM's (certainly SLIM) and I know some people who do. However, ART is still under development and by no means are all apps ready for it yet. Xposed Framework itself will not work under ART and won't be for quite a while yet.