[Root][Working 10.3.1]Kindle Fire 2 Root made easy

Search This thread

annaylor2812

May 19, 2008
Sheffield
Sorry, quick question

Should I use the ADB Drivers from the SDK then ? and will this method work on Windows 8 ?

Just a bit confused, which isn't hard

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Sorry, quick question

Should I use the ADB Drivers from the SDK then ? and will this method work on Windows 8 ?

Just a bit confused, which isn't hard

Wow....I thought this was to the one click TWRP method. So, editting my post!

Yes the drivers in the SDK should work. That's how I got mine.

As to windows 8, I am the only one here running it I think. I am already rooted and such so I'm not sure if there would be an easy way for me to test this for you, but if there is I wouldn't mind.

As far as I know it should work, but I did everything from my windows 7 laptop just because I'm still more comfortable with windows 7 for sensitive things.

Last edited:

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Re: [Root][Working 10.2.4]Kindle Fire 2 Root made easy

Wow....I thought this was to the one click TWRP method. So, editting my post!

Yes the drivers in the SDK should work. That's how I got mine.

As to windows 8, I am the only one here running it I think. I am already rooted and such so I'm not sure if there would be an easy way for me to test this for you, but if there is I wouldn't mind.

As far as I know it should work, but I did everything from my windows 7 laptop just because I'm still more comfortable with windows 7 for sensitive things.

I'm running win 8. Similar issues as with win 7, except in win 8 you have to turn off driver signing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ArchiePL

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
I'm running win 8. Similar issues as with win 7, except in win 8 you have to turn off driver signing

There are issues with win7 for rooting?

I don't remember having many issues. I was a bit confused at first on rooting because there wasn't any real guide yet, but once I stopped poking with the KF1 rooting tools and used the exact ones I needed, things worked fine. Lately in win8 though it's been having all these small issues that makes me not trust it with things like tinkering with my devices.

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
There are issues with win7 for rooting?

I don't remember having many issues. I was a bit confused at first on rooting because there wasn't any real guide yet, but once I stopped poking with the KF1 rooting tools and used the exact ones I needed, things worked fine. Lately in win8 though it's been having all these small issues that makes me not trust it with things like tinkering with my devices.

windows always has problems with drivers and new devices. especially when they have a different driver for rom(stock and cm10.1), twrp, and fastboot.

Reactions: mindmajick

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
windows always has problems with drivers and new devices. especially when they have a different driver for rom(stock and cm10.1), twrp, and fastboot.

Hmmm. I must have gotten lucky, or possibly have a TON of drivers. I used that laptop to root and evo, note 2, s2, thunderbolt, and done some other android related things. I still just did the KFU method for the driver, but it's probably the fact that I've already done so much along these lines that I was lucky and didn't hit any issues with that.

mindmajick

Account currently disabled

I really had no issues either... easy peasy. None w windows 7 or 8.. I just know others have issues with drivers.. I usually install all drivers manually so I'm not bogged down with extra apps I don't need. Dual booted with OpenSUSE and life is good.. anything I can't do in windows I do in Linux and vise versa

Last edited:

ursulavasey

Jul 9, 2011
Like some others here, I am having trouble with the drivers. I have a Windows 8 computer, and I cannot get the drivers to install. I am using the drivers in the original post, from the Qemu page, but they simply fail to install. I read about using drivers from the SDK, but which Software Development Kit drivers are relevant in this case? I am familiar with rooting and modding Android devices, but the Kindle is not "pure" Android, so it poses extra challenges for me. I would be grateful for any help that you can give me, please. FYI, I have tried running the install directly from the drivers, both running as admin and not running as admin, but that didn't work. I have also tried installing them via the device manager, but that didn't work either.

ursulavasey

Jul 9, 2011
Like some others here, I am having trouble with the drivers. I have a Windows 8 computer, and I cannot get the drivers to install. I am using the drivers in the original post, from the Qemu page, but they simply fail to install. I read about using drivers from the SDK, but which Software Development Kit drivers are relevant in this case? I am familiar with rooting and modding Android devices, but the Kindle is not "pure" Android, so it poses extra challenges for me. I would be grateful for any help that you can give me, please. FYI, I have tried running the install directly from the drivers, both running as admin and not running as admin, but that didn't work. I have also tried installing them via the device manager, but that didn't work either.

I've done it, my Kindle is rooted. I used the drivers from the SDK. After that, it was just a case of moving the folders to the C: drive, and following the process as listed. I did make a mistake, whereby I copied just one Qemu file to the C: drive instead of the folder, so when I tried to navigate to the Qemu using the CD ..\qemu command, the computer couldn't find the folder. This left my Kindle semi-bricked, in that the screen flickered and became semi-responsive. I reset the Kindle, sorted out the Qemu folder correctly and everything went swimmingly from there. I haven't changed the rom,or put Google Play on it yet, as I am short of time, but I will look into that at later.

xerxes76

Dec 11, 2007
I've done it, my Kindle is rooted. I used the drivers from the SDK. After that, it was just a case of moving the folders to the C: drive, and following the process as listed. I did make a mistake, whereby I copied just one Qemu file to the C: drive instead of the folder, so when I tried to navigate to the Qemu using the CD ..\qemu command, the computer couldn't find the folder. This left my Kindle semi-bricked, in that the screen flickered and became semi-responsive. I reset the Kindle, sorted out the Qemu folder correctly and everything went swimmingly from there. I haven't changed the rom,or put Google Play on it yet, as I am short of time, but I will look into that at later.

I think it's always the best to use the SDK drivers. Anything else is wasted time. I recently tried about 30 minutes around under Windows XP for only to find out that the drivers doesn't work under Windows XP. I did it then under Linux with Android SDK in about 5 minutes. I had to enter all adb commands by hand, but I think this is much better than running some kind of script which doesn't show error messages in case they occur.

Windows with it's driver design is absolutely crap for this work.

Reactions: Sherrillface

blacuda

Oct 3, 2012
I have a serious problem. I downloaded bin4ry's tool but I can't extract it even after much troubleshooting, I need help.

blacuda

Oct 3, 2012
Try downloading it again.
Install 7-zip.
Try again.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD

I tried downloading it multiple times and from different internet sources. different computers even and I did a freshinstall of 7zip. also on my galaxy s3 it's file explorers couldnt extract it either(and I did this all before my last post)

innerspace

Jun 23, 2009
issues

Hi OP - I seem to have created a nightmare. I initially rooted my nieces Kindle shortly after christmas with no issues whatsoever using your guide. Shortly thereafter Amazon released an update that overwrote my changes (why oh why didn't i kill otacerts) and she returned it to me to re-mod. My second attempt was cut short - I hadn't made the contents of Bin4ry or Qemu folders executable and was running into permission denied errors when attempting to execute adb from within the script... after i realized my failure and got access to the device again (tonight) I again attempted to execute the scripts... and bumped into a new troublesome issue... I executed Bin4ry's script and the device rebooted when expected, albeit slowly. I then got to the point where the kindle was flickering the script asked me to unlock the device, which i could do, though responsiveness was slow, and hung on the message saying 'waiting for device to reappear'... it stayed here for well over 20 minutes. I ended up CTRL-C ing that window and tried to find the device using adb devices, but adb was non-responsive. adb kill-server hung as well, so i rebooted my PC and tried adb devices, the kindle is visible (yay!) and i can gain access to the shell, however, and here's my problem, whenever I plug the Kindle into my PC and launch adb shell my PC freezes and I have to power-off and restart. Every time, no matter what. The kindle is half-way rooted (maybe less) and in a non-operable state... and I can't seem to keep my OS stable long enough to finish... what is going on here? I have to take her home now, am thinking I should try and run the Bin4ry script again but am concerned that my PC may freeze again...

I am updating the SDK as I type, hoping someone more comfortable with the kindles can chime in and lend me some direction, this thing makes me nervous.

please/thank you.

ps - ubuntu 12.10 32bit

ursulavasey

Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys.

I rooted using this method, and I have both Superuser and SU installed. The problem I am now having is that I can't get the Kindle properly recognised on KFU. It shows the adb as on, but the bootmode won't change, no matter what I do. This means I can't install any recovery, install a rom, etc. I got new launchers running OK, and Google Play is working; it is just the bootmode that is problematic for me. Have you any suggestions?

zuke66

Nov 21, 2009

Will this work on Kindle Fire HD 7 inch? I like the app I did two Kindle Fire 2 with it. made it very easy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

dedolini_xda

Aug 4, 2007
Almost bricked my Fire

Dear all,

Following nicely written guides here I managed to root my kindle. Trouble started later.

When I was just about to replace bootloader with fff instead of setting bootmode to 4002 I set it to 2 and rebooted.
What I have now is a screen saying

IP = 192.168.101.101
DIV = KC1A3A04-20120809
SN = SOMESERIALNO
MAC = SOMEMACADDR
BATTERY=100
BMID=SwE
TOUCH FVER= 10.2.6.0

I can see the device in Windows device manager as Android ADB Interface, but neither adb nor fastboot can comunicate with device.
I do not own factory cable. Did I manage to brick the kindle?

Thank you and forgive my english

dyson77

Nov 27, 2012
having a issue rooting my KF2.
Installed -Bin4ry's Root and seemed to do ok
I now have a superuser icon on my kindle
but when installing -QemuRoot
I get errors saying its a read only disk error writing to SD card

I went through and tried several times and had the same issue.
i am assuming its rooted because the icon is there.
but I cant go to the amazon app store and download root checker because i have a bad esn

Capture.png

i am using a standard usb cable i do have a factory cable on order but don't have it yet

Sherrillface

Jul 12, 2011
Columbus

Mine is doing same thing don't know I'm trying an factory update bin now ill let you know if it works

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After looking all across the internet on how to root one of these for a friend, I finally just tried what I did to my Hd 7" and it works, so here's what I did.

What you need:
    -Bin4ry's Root
    -QemuRoot
    Also: I picked up the HD adb drivers from the Qemu page, they did work on recognizing my friends KF2 as an adb interface
    (I take no credit for these programs, and am not responsible for any problems they may cause)

Before you start this process, ensure that in Settings>Device>"allow installation of applications" is on, as well as Settings>security>"Enable adb"

-Install the adb drivers if you haven't already
    -Extract both Qemu and bin4ry's tools to your C: Drive (For Command prompt purposes) and what I have done is renamed the folders to "Root" and "Qemu"

Like this

Now we're going to start the process. If you are an experienced user and already have adb running, I suggest opening task manager and killing adb.exe

In windows:
    Click on start, then type CMD in, right click it then "Run as administrator" Like this

If you named the files "Root" and "Qemu" this are the steps:

Step 1: Type this in the window, hitting enter after each line.
    cd ..\..\Root
    runme.bat

When the screen shows an interface, type 1 then hit enter, A lot of errors will show up but that's fine,

On Kindle:
    When your kindle shows a "Restore" screen hit restore (No data will be lost, no worries)

After it finishes out you should get a command line again like "C:\Root>"

Step 2: Now for the Qemu, type
    cd ..\Qemu
    rootqemu.bat

When you get another interface type 1, then hit enter, press enter a couple times until it starts the steps.
    It'll restart your kindle a couple times make sure you don't press enter until it has booted up again whenever it prompts you to.

You'll get some errors, especially on the local.prop section, that's fine, when it runs all the way through, You are rooted.

If you want proof, you can download Es File explorer and grant it Root permissions in the settings.

If you want Google play, I suggest this guide (note: in that guide, when he references "Settings/apps" he means "System/apps")

If you want GO Launcher HD and other goodies like no more lockscreen ads, download KindleFree from google play (Pro version is $1.99, needed to get rid of adds, better than paying 15 bucks to get rid of em)

Last remarks:
    I don't really know if this did anything, but I went into device manager and under "portable devices" I disabled the kindle, just to make sure there would be no interference.

Also, this guide works for the Kindle Fire HD 7" (ver. 7.2.3), not sure about the 8.9" as I don't own it, nor know anybody who has one.

HUGE EDIT:I forgot to put "cd" in front of the command lines, which would result in it doing nothing, I apologize.
    GOT IT FIGURED OUT!
    it wasn't the drivers or a bad download.
    after much searching and reading it was just a single line "0x1949" i had to insert into the adb_usb.ini

i found it here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893838&page=4

Originally Posted by Strothmann
    Thanks for the tip

"C:\Users\<your username>\.android\adb_usb.ini"

now hjas the line in it,
    "# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
    # USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
    # 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
    0x1949"

after i did this, everything worked without a hitch!
    hope this helps someone else out.

J.R.
    Edit: GO launcher HD didn't work for him, he installed APEX instead and it worked.

I would have added this to the post, but my KFHD isn't editing the post properly.
    Thanks, but the lock screen/ads are not the problem, I have (stupidly) put the apex launcher into the system/apps folder (as instructed on another post). What happens now is that when I start up my KF2 I get the message "Apex launcher has stopped working" this means I have no access to any of my installed apps (root explorer etc) to be able to remove the apex launcher :(

I have tried to start the search (magnifying glass icon) to manually type in "root explorer" but this just causes the KF2 to re-start.

I have access thro phone explorer, but it will not allow me to delete the apex launcher apk (probably because it keeps trying to run). What I am after is any tips/methods to be able to either start root explorer or adb into the KF2 to be able to delete the apex launcher apk. :(

Any ideas/tips very welcome. ;)

Give this a try.

https://sites.google.com/site/androidhowto/how-to-1/install-and-uninstall-applications-using-adb

This link seems more informative

www.careace.net/2010/05/12/how-to-remove-android-apps-through-adb/
    I forgot to post, this also works on 10.4.8.