[APP][4.0+][v1.3] Identiconizer! - Identicons For Your Contacts, [XPOSED] Optional

Search This thread

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
About:
This is a port of ChameleonOS' contact identicons feature (available in the JellyBean versions) with some additional features and fixes.
When enabled, new contacts will be assigned a unique identicon instead of the default picture.

Features:
  • Use identicons for newly created contacts. A service is normally used to detect new contacts. If you use the Xposed Framework, you can enable Identiconizer! as a module instead to integrate the application into the system.
  • Choose from five different identicon styles: Retro, Contemporary, Spirograph, Dot Matrix and Gmail.
  • Specify the identicon sizes, from 96x96 up to 720x720 (256x256 max on ICS.)
  • Choose a custom background color for the created identicons.
  • Create identicons for all contacts without a photo in one go.
  • Remove identicons from all contacts that have one set.
  • Contacts list to add/remove Identicon to/from wanted contacts only.

Screenshots:
Screen1.pngScreen2.pngScreen3.png

Source code:
https://github.com/GermainZ/Identiconizer

Download:

FAQ:
  • Q: Will this work on XYZ?
    A: It should. Try It And See™ - if there are any issues, please report them.
  • Q: Is this on the Play Store/Xposed repo/…?
    A: No. Uploading to the Xposed repo makes no sense since this isn't primarily an Xposed module. I'm not interested in uploading to the Play Store right now as I see no benefit (added support, more unhelpful users, I prefer a forum for discussions, etc). You can subscribe to this thread for updates, the title will be updated to reflect the current version. :)
  • Q: Can we have random cartoons/different icons set?
    A: Cartoons and icon sets will not be implemented. You're welcome to offer suggestions that can be implemented without needing image files (so basically, anything with simple geometrical shapes and/or text.)
  • Q: I found a problem. How can I report it?
    A: Explain what your problem is - what have you done? What is the expected result? What do you get instead? In other words: include a detailed description of the problem and instructions on how to reproduce it. Also mention what Android ROM/version you're running, and include a logcat if possible (this is necessary if I can't personally reproduce the issue.)

• The ChameleonOS Open Source Project and 0xD34D for code and resources used in this application.
  • rovo89 and Tungstwenty for the Xposed Framework.
  • TiiXel for his contributions

Last edited:

sarbe

Sep 26, 2010
How can I revert back? I have removed it from exposed but it still has changed icons.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
How can I revert back? I have removed it from exposed but it still has changed icons.
As it's very clearly explained in the OP, the Xposed module is used to create identicons for new contacts - just that. If you don't enable it, a service is used instead.
Read the OP for the answer to your question. Or just open the app.

Reactions: ferro91

sarbe

Sep 26, 2010
As it's very clearly explained in the OP, the Xposed module is used to create identicons for new contacts - just that. If you don't enable it, a service is used instead.
Read the OP for the answer to your question. Or just open the app.

Yes I know it is clearly explained, I have read it. After first using it I tried to remove them, that didn't work, I then tried to change them to another design, that also did nothing, which is why I asked whether there is a way to get rid of them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Yes I know it is clearly explained, I have read it. After first using it I tried to remove them, that didn't work, I then tried to change them to another design, that also did nothing, which is why I asked whether there is a way to get rid of them.
They're normal contact photos, so you can remove them as you'd remove any other contact photo: edit the contact, tap the photo thumbnail, tap remove. It might vary a bit depending on your contacts app.

What do you mean by "didn't work" and "did nothing"? Are none of your contacts affected? Can you provide a logcat?

Reactions: Breakcore_Rush

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Quick update, 1.0.1: the Xposed module wasn't working properly as I had the wrong package name entered (renamed the package at the last minute, relied on the IDE to change it too much.)
Note that this will cause your settings to be reset, too.

Godswrath

Dec 30, 2011
Is there anyway to get the default contact pictures set up similarly to how it looks in Hello SMS? It puts the letter(s) of the contact in a colored bubble. Very similar to how email/gmail do. Would love to have this across the phone's contacts when no picture is available. But not sure how to go about it.
hello_sms_1.jpg

giga80

May 24, 2013
Cairo
nice work

Hi there
Nice work
Is there any way to place a random pictures like cartoon or paint
Thanks

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Is there anyway to get the default contact pictures set up similarly to how it looks in Hello SMS? It puts the letter(s) of the contact in a colored bubble. Very similar to how email/gmail do. Would love to have this across the phone's contacts when no picture is available. But not sure how to go about it.

Hi there
Nice work
Is there any way to place a random pictures like cartoon or paint
Thanks
It is possible, but I don't think it belongs in this app as what you're suggesting isn't an identicon.

Last edited:

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Google Voice crashes and creates .hprof dump on sdcard if I set the icon size at 4000+
Then choose a smaller size. Identiconizer! allows you to pick any supported size by your device, but it can't do anything if it's too large for most apps to handle. Same thing for the storage space, better keep an eye on that if you want to use huge sizes.

Awesome module! I love it, especially as someone that gets super annoyed when my contacts don't have a picture...

Don't know if you're aware though, but it doesnt seem to create icons for contacts imported from my linkedin account. I dont know how other accounts and contact information is stored, so I'm not sure if this is an option but it would be cool if you could make it work!

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Awesome module! I love it, especially as someone that gets super annoyed when my contacts don't have a picture...

Don't know if you're aware though, but it doesnt seem to create icons for contacts imported from my linkedin account. I dont know how other accounts and contact information is stored, so I'm not sure if this is an option but it would be cool if you could make it work!
Does this also happen if the Xposed module is disabled? Also, can you see these imported contacts in the "Contacts list" option?

randalgibbons

Feb 5, 2014
Modesto
different way

I've been doing this for almost a year now. I just use icons from the icon pkgs I dl.
Many images to choose from including letters, symbols... and most are perfect size.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About:
    This is a port of ChameleonOS' contact identicons feature (available in the JellyBean versions) with some additional features and fixes.
    When enabled, new contacts will be assigned a unique identicon instead of the default picture.

Features:
    • Use identicons for newly created contacts. A service is normally used to detect new contacts. If you use the Xposed Framework, you can enable Identiconizer! as a module instead to integrate the application into the system.
    • Choose from five different identicon styles: Retro, Contemporary, Spirograph, Dot Matrix and Gmail.
    • Specify the identicon sizes, from 96x96 up to 720x720 (256x256 max on ICS.)
    • Choose a custom background color for the created identicons.
    • Create identicons for all contacts without a photo in one go.
    • Remove identicons from all contacts that have one set.
    • Contacts list to add/remove Identicon to/from wanted contacts only.

Screenshots:
    Screen1.pngScreen2.pngScreen3.png

Source code:
    https://github.com/GermainZ/Identiconizer

Download:

FAQ:
    • Q: Will this work on XYZ?
      A: It should. Try It And See™ - if there are any issues, please report them.
    • Q: Is this on the Play Store/Xposed repo/…?
      A: No. Uploading to the Xposed repo makes no sense since this isn't primarily an Xposed module. I'm not interested in uploading to the Play Store right now as I see no benefit (added support, more unhelpful users, I prefer a forum for discussions, etc). You can subscribe to this thread for updates, the title will be updated to reflect the current version. :)
    • Q: Can we have random cartoons/different icons set?
      A: Cartoons and icon sets will not be implemented. You're welcome to offer suggestions that can be implemented without needing image files (so basically, anything with simple geometrical shapes and/or text.)
    • Q: I found a problem. How can I report it?
      A: Explain what your problem is - what have you done? What is the expected result? What do you get instead? In other words: include a detailed description of the problem and instructions on how to reproduce it. Also mention what Android ROM/version you're running, and include a logcat if possible (this is necessary if I can't personally reproduce the issue.)

• The ChameleonOS Open Source Project and 0xD34D for code and resources used in this application.
    • rovo89 and Tungstwenty for the Xposed Framework.
    • TiiXel for his contributions
    Very well, since a bunch of people apparently want it… added a Gmail style. ;) Also updated the OP about requests.

1.2 is out. Changelog:
    • New identicon style: Gmail. The implementation is pretty much the same as Gmail's, with some very minor changes (Gmail uses the email to determine the background color, Identizoner! uses the name of the contact.)
    • Insert a row for the contact photo if none was found to be updated (this was in the original ChameleonOS implementation but I removed it for some reason while making changes.)
    • Add preference to choose the background color for created identicons.
    • PNG images are now used instead of JPEG images. This means you can use transparency for the background color if you want to. On the other hand, it might result in larger contact photos.
    • If any error occurs during the creation of new identicons, show a notification to let the user know. Tapping the notification will show a detailed list of errors along with some useful info.
    • If the Xposed module fails to hook the appropriate method, show a notification to warn the user.
    • Other minor changes.

Mentioning everyone who asked about the Gmail style in the past and was refused: @Godswrath, @jaydee 77, @karanrajpal14, @Kaleknuppel.
    Also, @rebecker, I've added the dates for all builds.
    1.3 uploaded to the OP.
    Also, you can now get Identiconizer from F-Droid (built directly from source, different package signatures).
    Attached is version 1.2-beta. Changes:
    • Insert a row for the contact photo if none was found to be updated (this was in the original ChameleonOS implementation but I removed it for some reason while making changes.)
    • Add preference to choose the background color for create identicons.
    • PNG images are now used instead of JPEG images. This means you can use transparency for the background color if you want to. On the other hand, it might result in larger contact photos.
    • Other minor changes.
    Note: if a generated identicon is larger than ~1024K, Identiconizer! will fail to set the contact photo. This is visible in the logcat but I hope to make it more obvious, possibly using a notification. AFAIK, there is nothing I can do about this, other than compressing/downsizing till the size is <1024. While this could be done automatically, it'll be slow and resource intensive, which is why it'll be left up to the user to modify the settings to get smaller sizes (by choosing a smaller width/height size, or by picking a different style.)

Other than that, the Xposed module seems not to work on some manufacturers' ROMs, e.g. HTC. You can check this by looking at the Xposed log (Xposed Installer > Log.) If you see an error about "com.germainz.identiconizer" then disable the Xposed module for now. I'll try to look into this issue later.

I also would like a black background switch.
    You can choose whatever color you want in the beta. :)
    I use 96x96 icons
    And there are 5x5 pixels in retro mode
    So I changed to 400x400 resolution in hope of getting more pixels and complex images, but nothing changed
    That's intentional - retro mode is always 5x5 blocks. The quality gets better, though.

Not working on my Samsung Galaxy S4 running TouchWiz and android 4.4 kitkat
    Read the OP.
    Please test the following version and let me know if everything works as intended.

Changelog:
    • The app now targets / works on the latest Android version.
    • Merged contributions by @TiiXel:
      • Add colors to match Google Messenger theme
      • Add serif font support in options
      • Add option for more than one letter in Gmail Style

@lemora