[Q] Failed 4.1.1 flash; please help!

Search This thread

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011
Hi all--apparently I "softbricked" (or "soft bricked") my unlocked at&t s3 (SGH-I747) that I rooted since, after I factory reset and cache wiped my 4.1.1, I get passes on Odin whenever I try to install 4.1.1 again, which is all I wanted to do so I could try to upgrade to 4.3, but I never got that far. I just can't get 4.1.1 working again after a factory reset cache wipe.

What happens, now, is that my phone just can't get past the pulsing blue samsung logo after rebooting into any new 4.1.1 firmware I load with Odin (and I tried a few options--both stock SGH-I747 4.1.1 and the one here), or root66, but my phone just gets stuck on the pulsing blue samsung logo and stops there every time. Kies can't connect to my phone any longer, either, and it won't recognize my phone for a firmware reset, and my computer will no longer recognize my phone nor successfully install drivers for it when it's trying to boot (when I connect my phone in recovery or download mode, however, my computer will install a driver to let the computer see the phone, but I can't actually do anything with the phone after that--and Kies doesn't connect after the computer installs these drivers, either).

So, in sum: I can successfully flash 4.1.1 stock/alternatives with Odin ("pass!") but that doesn't get me past the pulsing blue samsung icon. I think I've tried to flash a new boot partition during this process, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated, since I've been working on trying to fix my phone for a day and a half now without any luck :(

Slight update: I installed CWM Recovery (PhilZ Touch) and wiped again but after loading the 4.1.1 stock/alternative (above link) my phone--still--won't get past the pulsing blue samsung logo still.

Additional info.: when I boot in recovery mode after flashing the above root66 rom, I get the following errors:

E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Applying Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : ATT
Successfully applied multi-CSC.
can't mount '/data'(Invalid argument)

Also, I just noticed when I try to factory reset again it says this:

Formatting /data...
E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p15
Formatting /cache...
E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
Data wipe complete.
E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it very much. I honestly can't do anything until I get help here.

Last edited:

mstrswrd06

May 1, 2014
Hi all--apparently I "softbricked" (or "soft bricked") my unlocked at&t s3 (SGH-I747) that I rooted myself, later, since I get passes on Odin whenever I try to install new firmwares, so I don't have the same problem those trying to roll back to 4.1.1 after failing to get 4.3 going, since in my case, I just can't get 4.1.1 working again after a factory reset cache wipe. I wanted to put a stock 4.1.1 on so I could try to update to 4.3, but I never got far enough to even try that.

What happens, now, is that my phone just can't get past the pulsing blue samsung logo after rebooting into any new 4.1.1 firmware I load with Odin (and I tried a few options--both stock SGH-I747 4.1.1 and the one here), or root66, but my phone just gets stuck on the pulsing blue samsung logo and stops there every time. Kies can't connect to my phone any longer, either, and it won't recognize my phone for a firmware reset, and my computer will no longer recognize my phone nor successfully install drivers for it when it's trying to boot (when I connect my phone in recovery or download mode, however, my computer will install a driver to let the computer see the phone, but I can't actually do anything with the phone after that--and Kies doesn't connect after the computer installs these drivers, either).

So, in sum: I can successfully flash 4.1.1 stock/alternatives with Odin ("pass!") but that doesn't get me past the pulsing blue samsung icon. I think I've tried to flash a new boot partition during this process, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated, since I've been working on trying to fix my phone for a day and a half now without any luck :(

Slight update: I installed CWM Recovery (PhilZ Touch) and wiped again but after loading the 4.1.1 stock/alternative (above link) my phone--still--won't get past the pulsing blue samsung logo still.

Additional info.: when I boot in recovery mode after flashing the above root66 rom, I get the following errors:

can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Applying Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : ATT

Also, I just noticed when I try to factory reset again it says this:

Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
Data wipe complete.
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it very much. I honestly can't do anything until I get help here.

If you're just looking to get back to stock 4.3, you can use this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496425

You'll need the Heimdall suite:

http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/

Once the drivers and all are there, use the Flash tab in Heimdall and attach each file appropriately.

I had to do this same process recently so feel free to hit me up if you have an issue.

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011
If you're just looking to get back to stock 4.3, you can use this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496425

You'll need the Heimdall suite:

http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/

Once the drivers and all are there, use the Flash tab in Heimdall and attach each file appropriately.

I had to do this same process recently so feel free to hit me up if you have an issue.

Well, I haven't ever had 4.3 on my phone, so there's nothing to 'get back' to. I was wanting to upgrade to 4.3, but then my factory reset/cache wipe made my phone unbootable after installing 4.1.1 firmware roms. If you think I should just try to install 4.3 in the state my phone's in now, then okay--but that seems to possibly introduce other problems, from what I've been reading elsewhere.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Try flashing 4.1.1 again in Odin, uncheck everything except F. Reset. When you see reset in the status windows, remove the USB cable, remove, the battery, replace the battery, go into recovery, perform a full wipe, then reboot. Do a full wipe before you first boot the newly-installed OS may fix the issue.

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011
Try flashing 4.1.1 again in Odin, uncheck everything except F. Reset. When you see reset in the status windows, remove the USB cable, remove, the battery, replace the battery, go into recovery, perform a full wipe, then reboot. Do a full wipe before you first boot the newly-installed OS may fix the issue.

First, when I go into recovery after flashing 4.1.1 default for at&t (though my phone is unlocked and was rooted--don't know if the root is still there after all that's happened) it says right away

#Manual MODE#
--Appling Multi-SCSC...
Applied the CSC-code:ATT
E: etc.

Then, when I try to wipe it gives me an error:
-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

Then rebooting freezes on pulsing blue samsung logo--again :(

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you flash an updated bootlaoder? Boot into download mode and let us know what it says on the screen.

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011
Did you flash an updated bootlaoder? Boot into download mode and let us know what it says on the screen.

It says

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (2 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Sorry for my belated responses, but I work late on the weekends in NZ.

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011

Strange--I just booted up in recovery mode and wiped again; this time I got no errors, so I rebooted and--it works now in 4.1.1. Why it never wiped altogether before, when I didn't do anything different, is confusing; but there you have it. Now I'll venture into trying to get 4.2 or something.

Thanks all for your patience and help, even though in the end it worked on a fluke.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Glad you got your phone working. You do not have the 4.3 bootloader and, if I were you, I would not install the ATT 4.3 OTA update. This will install the 4.3 bootloader which makes it more difficult to get back to stock.

Reactions: Pfhyde

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
Strange--I just booted up in recovery mode and wiped again; this time I got no errors, so I rebooted and--it works now in 4.1.1. Why it never wiped altogether before, when I didn't do anything different, is confusing; but there you have it. Now I'll venture into trying to get 4.2 or something.

Thanks all for your patience and help, even though in the end it worked on a fluke.
Some people have no problems at all, but CWM has a history of not wiping properly. That's why I don't using it anymore. There always came a point when it just would not wipe properly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Glad you got your phone working. You do not have the 4.3 bootloader and, if I were you, I would not install the ATT 4.3 OTA update. This will install the 4.3 bootloader which makes it more difficult to get back to stock.