New HD2 & No BBC iPlayer WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
ok so I've been a winmo user since inception and have resisted the urge to go iphone

i held off for the HD2 but finally got it a few days ago. Its nice and smooth but where is the wow after a couple of hours use? wheres the cool new stuff ?

I thought lets try some video playback...thought BBC iPlayer

no i Player...so I trawl posts to find hacks and other programs to use. half an hour later ....then I'm thinking WTF...its a dam new phone and here I am having to f*%k around with it straight out the box

WTF is wrong with HTC....I mean surely they could have got off your lazy dumb arses and got some decent new fresh apps put on their premium device for launch by operators

Its not exactly that the BBC is a minow.

And what the hell is wrong with the operators taking ****ty product again from HTC. (Vodafone gave HTC a chance...sure Iphone is more profitable but I'm sure it didnt help with a crap release ROM...why put up with up when there is other products you can sell without the hassle). I'm not asking HTC to get it right with every phone but this is your premium device FFS

HTC need to employ people that live in the real world not Asia where if it dont work it dont matter

I for one will have no sympathy if HTC fail

shruff

Jan 12, 2008
Haha, why didnt you bu an iphone? BBC iplayer, muahahahahha.:D
I think you should buy iphone and get off this forum!

mndl632

Nov 7, 2008
Leicester
no idea why you're blaming HTC for iPlayer not working, BBC need to add support for the HD2 in order for it to work straight out of the box

lexx-luthor

Sep 1, 2009
Top End
This is the fix;

36. Get BBC iPlayer Mobile Website Working on HD2
The current Opera 9.7 version on the HD2 is not detected by the BBC iplayer website. Here is a modifcation to Opera preferences you can do to get it to work.
HLKM/Software/Opera/Prefs/User Prefs/Custom User-Agent
Change from HTC_HD2_T8585 Opera/9.7 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) to HTC_Touch_HD_T8282 Now go to http://bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer. Videos are opened in your Streaming App on your phone.

which is located in this thread.

You will need a Registry Editor which is also in the same thread.

Hope this helps :)

ardsar

May 21, 2007
Devon
do a search for myplayer. This is a nice little app that allows you to stream or download high quality Iplayer content to your phone for later viewing. App can also be found on HTCPedia.com under the apps section. It also supports ITV, CH4 etc etc

SOLRAC13

Nov 20, 2009
all this guy had to do was read the sticky thread like everyone else. lets all wait for a thank you. yeah right!

I can see, by the way this guy wrote, there was no one sentences with out ading street words.:eek:

Any way in the first place, before buying anything, he should read and get info of the haves and no haves of the current devise.

Be wiser he express him self in a better way, since this is just the beginning of many tweaks he will have to go in order to get the max of these phone.

And No i am sure he will no thank no body :rolleyes:

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
no idea why you're blaming HTC for iPlayer not working, BBC need to add support for the HD2 in order for it to work straight out of the box

Lets say HTC plan a new phone release....whos job is it to contact BBC with the device and get it compatible for release rom ?

It aint the BBC's job to predict every phone coming to the market ?

Its the phone manufacturers responsibility to work with content providers so that the phone manufacturers product is released with compatible software

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Lets say HTC plan a new phone release....whos job is it to contact BBC with the device and get it compatible for release rom ?

Its the phone manufacturers responsibility to work with content providers so that the phone manufacturers product is released with compatible software

You sound like a baby.

Just install myPlayer and stop polluting the forum.

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
all this guy had to do was read the sticky thread like everyone else. lets all wait for a thank you. yeah right!

Never mind ....you missed the whole point...I flashed more roms than hot dinners and have a mem card full of cabs so I wasnt specifically wanting help but to the posters who replied a big thankyou.

I'm quite capable of searching

apple = designed in california, made in china
HTC = designed in asia, made in asia

and it shows

Apple release 2 phones and sell it to the masses

HTC release 2 many phones and struggle for mass appeal

Dont get me wrong....I've never owned an apple product ...not even a ipod!

I'm no HTC hater either...just wish they would slow down...

peace all...rant over:)

Audio Oblivion

Aug 16, 2006
ukbreakbeat.com

It is the BBC's resposibility to add iPlayer support for new mobile devices NOT HTC's. I guarantee you that HTC DID contact the BBC to let them know about the HD2 way before it got released. However... there isnt much HTC can do to speed up the BBC process of adding support to iPlayer.

Shadowdh

Jan 21, 2008
London (nearly)

I would think its a combination of the two, providers and manufacturers working together... and please forgive my ignorance but is it really that hard to make iplayer compatible with all winmo devices?? why particular phones?

Audio Oblivion

Aug 16, 2006
ukbreakbeat.com
I would think its a combination of the two, providers and manufacturers working together... and please forgive my ignorance but is it really that hard to make iplayer compatible with all winmo devices?? why particular phones?

Resolution differences and different applications used for streaming content.... plus all the different variants of windows mobile itself.

HSKalay

Nov 17, 2009
I've tried the opera fix in the past, but the result is terrible. the video playback was so choppy, and then mostly green blurs etc. I can understand that if you're streaming 3G, but not if using your using wifi.

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
It is the BBC's resposibility to add iPlayer support for new mobile devices NOT HTC's. I guarantee you that HTC DID contact the BBC to let them know about the HD2 way before it got released. However... there isnt much HTC can do to speed up the BBC process of adding support to iPlayer.

to me its HTC with insufficient resources...if they stopped making 3000 other phones maybe they would have just sat down and defined core software that was a must have for release ROM

then you just get the job done....anyone can see its the premium device competing with iphone so why wouldnt both HTC and BBC get it right

unless there is evidence to the contary, HTC decided it wasnt core for release...which is just poor when its their premium product

Richy99

Nov 16, 2009
the phone had been about for a while being reveiwed before it was released, gave the bbc plenty of time to get an application for their system out, it isnt upto htc to release applications for sites

Status
Not open for further replies.