[Q] Slow charging with usb extender

Search This thread

shmizan

Apr 18, 2011
Hey guys.
I take a usb extender cable with me to the university.
it looks like this one:
CC2210-06_LR.jpg

unfortunately, it charges really slow when I use it.
anyone knows the reason?
there are some guides on turning a usb cable to "charge only" cable.
it just doesn't make sense that a cable that IS capable of transferring data (like the stock N4 cable) performs normally, while this one needs to have the data pins shorted to charge normally.
I am running OmniROM with Hellscore kernel and use fast charge without a difference in charging speed.

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
how long is the cable and what is the ac current on the adapter?, the longer the cable the more resistance (the cable obviously wont be past 1m to matter), you should be using a stronger ac adapter.
if your charging from pc then its going to be worse,

Reactions: shmizan

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
Like the poster above mentioned it's probably due to the extended length causing a higher resistance. I have lots of different ac chargers in my house including one from a Samsung wave 2. It has a pretty long and very thin cable and charging speeds are noticeable slower in comparison to my other ones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

shmizan

Apr 18, 2011
thanks for your replies.
I use the stock charger so it's 1.2a 5v.
the extender is 1.5x the size of the stock cable, and it connects to a samsung micro usb cable (which charges just fine on its own) which is 2/3 the size of the stock cable.
doesn't seem like it's too long to me, it's just ~2 times the length of the original cable and it can't handle it?
what am I suppose to do? I need it that long.. should I follow the "charge only usb cable" guide for the extender? or purchase a single longer cable (shouldn't make a difference according to your remarks about resistance).

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
Well, I'm a carpenter not an electrician ;) but I think you can compensate with a charger with higher output. I don't know what the max is the n4 can handle, though.

Generally this could have different reasons to begin with. For instance there are cables that just suck. Another point is, using your extender you have an extra connection on the way from the charger to your device. Plug connections are often known to cause a loss. And then there's the fact that most extender cables aren't made for charging but for data.

So you see not every USB cable is the same. I have a HTC car charger working really good with all my devices while a no name one I had couldn't even hold up with the drain caused by GPS/BT/display when mounted in my car even though both were specifically made for charging through the car ac.

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
Being data cables they fit the requirements, the nexus 4 charges under 1amp while the phone its based off is higher that explains the charger,

Usb3 cables allow more current upto 900mah apposed to usb2 at 500mah so it should take twice as long to charge or longer if it doesnt break 500mah barrier

Also the wire gauge, cheaper brands will use thinner wires,so a 24gauge will be able to handle 2amps for tablets etc.

A usb3 cable will be better, you can find thin flexible cables that do meet the requirements

http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Super-Extension-Surrounded-Connector/dp/B00A5321MW

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how long is the cable and what is the ac current on the adapter?, the longer the cable the more resistance (the cable obviously wont be past 1m to matter), you should be using a stronger ac adapter.
    if your charging from pc then its going to be worse,
    Like the poster above mentioned it's probably due to the extended length causing a higher resistance. I have lots of different ac chargers in my house including one from a Samsung wave 2. It has a pretty long and very thin cable and charging speeds are noticeable slower in comparison to my other ones.

Well, I'm a carpenter not an electrician ;) but I think you can compensate with a charger with higher output. I don't know what the max is the n4 can handle, though.

Generally this could have different reasons to begin with. For instance there are cables that just suck. Another point is, using your extender you have an extra connection on the way from the charger to your device. Plug connections are often known to cause a loss. And then there's the fact that most extender cables aren't made for charging but for data.

So you see not every USB cable is the same. I have a HTC car charger working really good with all my devices while a no name one I had couldn't even hold up with the drain caused by GPS/BT/display when mounted in my car even though both were specifically made for charging through the car ac.