Write Protection Off Issue - Bootloader Unlocked

Search This thread

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
So I've got a Droid Maxx non dev edition but was lucky enough to unlock my bootloader. Just today I used RSD Lite to go back to 4.2.2 stock, then reinstalled TWRP and re-rooted.

For some reason, all the bloat I remove with titanium keeps reinstalling itself and it's driving me nuts. I checked my write protection status and it still returns code 0, but the device is acting like write protection is back on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Really? Of course it came back you did an fxz do you even understand what that is.

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
Really? Of course it came back you did an fxz do you even understand what that is.

Yes I know exactly what it is. My bootloader is still unlocked and the ADB Shell command to check write protection status still comes back as a 0. The only way to get back to 4.2.2 is to use the FXZ or use fastboot commands, and since the fastboot commands weren't working, I went the FXZ route.

I'm not questioning why the bloat came back...I'm asking why I can't get rid of it now. Try reading before replying next time.

As stated above, I'm now trying to remove bloat and it keeps re-downloading on its own. I remember when I went to 4.4 with slapmymoto I had to boot into "recovery" and then remove the bloat, and that would work, but I have custom recovery on an unlocked bootloader now so I am not sure if there's something I'm missing.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
I did read and no where did it say you did an fxz and then tried to remove the bloat. If you want help be more specific in what steps you took and the order you did them.

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
I did read and no where did it say you did an fxz and then tried to remove the bloat. If you want help be more specific in what steps you took and the order you did them.

"Just today I used RSD Lite to go back to 4.2.2 stock, then reinstalled TWRP and re-rooted."

I think my steps were pretty clear in the first posts but we can just agree to disagree.

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
Just an FYI, when I get home later I am going to try flashing back to the stock recovery from the 4.2.2 fxz, then seeing if it boots in "recovery" mode. I remember doing that when first rooting and upgrading to 4.4 and needing to be booted to "recovery" to have deleted bloat stay where it belongs...deleted.

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
Alright now I'm begging for some help here.

I'm rooted, unlocked bootloader, and WP off (confirmed again), and I cannot use Titanium to uninstall IMDB after running the FXZ 4.2.2 with the camera update. I confirm again, I am still rooted, my bootloader is still unlocked, and I still have WP off (status 0).

Can anyone else please shed some light on this? Why on earth would I not be able to uninstall anything while rooted, unlocked, and WP off????!!!!!

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
Found some of the APKs in system/vendor, deleted them, then used Titanium to uninstall, and it seems to be sticking. What a pain in the a$$ that was.

doogald

May 27, 2010
I've used Titanium on my last two phones - not this one - but it's ability to freeze and uninstall apps was never too great for me. It's a lot easier to delete the apps (or rename them with a .bak at the end of the apk and odex files) using Root Explorer.

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
I've used Titanium on my last two phones - not this one - but it's ability to freeze and uninstall apps was never too great for me. It's a lot easier to delete the apps (or rename them with a .bak at the end of the apk and odex files) using Root Explorer.

Yea I can't remember if I had to do that when I initially rooted, but it seems to be sticking. At one point today I had a notification that IMDB had been scanned, which was one of the apps giving me a headache, but it's still deleted so I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks.

I actually had to delete the APKs, reboot, then use titanium to uninstall. Even after using root Explorer to delete and rebooting, the apps were still in the drawer, but titanium permanently removed them.

doogald

May 27, 2010
Yea I can't remember if I had to do that when I initially rooted, but it seems to be sticking. At one point today I had a notification that IMDB had been scanned, which was one of the apps giving me a headache, but it's still deleted so I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks.

I actually had to delete the APKs, reboot, then use titanium to uninstall. Even after using root Explorer to delete and rebooting, the apps were still in the drawer, but titanium permanently removed them.

I'm assuming that the imdb app was updated from the play store before you delete it. Updates to built in apps go to the data partition - they don't overwrite the system partition copy, so that's why it was still around. You probably could have gone into settings / apps, find imdb and tap it, uninstall updates. Then deleting the app from system would have made it disappear from the app drawer.

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
I'm assuming that the imdb app was updated from the play store before you delete it. Updates to built in apps go to the data partition - they don't overwrite the system partition copy, so that's why it was still around. You probably could have gone into settings / apps, find imdb and tap it, uninstall updates. Then deleting the app from system would have made it disappear from the app drawer.

Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. Is that what the function in Titanium is for, "integrate updates into system ROM"?

kanagadeepan

Jul 27, 2011
Sivakasi
Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. Is that what the function in Titanium is for, "integrate updates into system ROM"?
Actually the "Integrate updates into System ROM" moves the updated app to system and thus clearing the data partition space, which is a good thing for phone with no sd slot. BUT, the problem is sometimes the app will repeatedly gets FC. Happened with Google Keyboard. I later found out a workaround though.

I recommend to first convert it (and all other updated via play sys apps) to USER APP first, then close Titanium and reopen it to "convert it to system app". This takes some more time, but there will be NO force closes. Believe me, this is working great.

Thanks...

Top Liked Posts