Ouya vs Nvidia Shield

Search This thread

cindylove

Apr 14, 2011
Right. I just posted it because of the first post.

So ouya (with the right software) can do stream games from the pc.
In other words. it will do the same linke the nvidia shield device.

awdnut

Jul 28, 2009
Sells old 3d chipsets to Ouya..
cA185du.jpg

Makes it's own competing product on next gen chipsets.

I'd personally go with Ouya, but feel bad because some of my money is going towards funding NVidia's ass-hattery..

*Such an appropriate term for them.

Last edited:

dibblebill

Jun 3, 2012
Raleigh, NC
www.youtube.com
Sells old 3d chipsets to Ouya..
cA185du.jpg

Makes it's own competing product on next gen chipsets.

I'd personally go with Ouya, but feel bad because some of my money is going towards funding NVidia's ass-hattery..

*Such an appropriate term for them.

Tegra 4 was unavailable at the time they began developing the Ouya's hardware. I see no asshattery. Field's still open to develop a superior Tegra 4 platform that can outplay the Shield, but for TV's.

Reactions: UnOfficiallyDNG

dibblebill

Jun 3, 2012
Raleigh, NC
www.youtube.com
Because your pc screen is mostly smaller than the tv. Also you can not chill on your couche (i guess) while playing on the pc.
Their are a lot of good arguments for streaming a game to the television.

Except this is an increasingly moot point with TV's having VGA inputs, and many PC's (ESPECIALLY gaming PC's) having HDMI out, with long periferal cables or front USB pots as well.

EDIT: I meant 'not sitting on couch'. Need to learn reading comprehension. We're in agreement.

xonone

Dec 14, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Ouya for me.

I already got a note 2, nexus 7 and a M14x r2 for mobile gaming :D

I may change to Shield if it comes with a GSM / CMDA LTE enable device with 4g but i doubt it. My nexus 7 can steam any pc game off of my M14x via splashtop 2 THD without needing any special hardware.

Last edited:

Firehand81

Apr 12, 2011
At the moment, I would definetly bet on Ouya, simply for cost. As added bonus, there's supposed to be new Ouya every year, so while first one might be bit behind times, in few years they should be up for task to compete seriously against rest of the consoles/handheld devices.

gabe32

Sep 11, 2012
Mio, Michigan
I'm behind the Ouya, my high end phone is for mobile gaming. The Ouya will be a nice hackable Android ran console to chill with at home. And due to the Devs doing their best to make it hackable, it will be a slightly more free platform. Heck, they put the thing together with normal screws for petes sake. Not to mention it's very cheap.

Raverbunny

Oct 23, 2012
Brisbane
Two different devices made for completely different purposes and $300 apart.

Sent from XDA app

Exactly that, Ouya and Shield are miles apart both in price range and target audience.
Plus the streaming from your pc thing sounds like a gimmick to me. 1. You have to get a new video card if your pc doesn't already have one that supports the streaming and 2. If I have to be near my pc to play, why on earth would I use a crappy controller with a built in tiny screen instead of playing on the actual pc with a much bigger screen and a gaming mouse and keyboard?

Sent from my IceColdJelly HOX via Tapatalk

Reactions: dibblebill

Shacamus

Feb 14, 2012
Exactly that, Ouya and Shield are miles apart both in price range and target audience.
Plus the streaming from your pc thing sounds like a gimmick to me. 1. You have to get a new video card if your pc doesn't already have one that supports the streaming and 2. If I have to be near my pc to play, why on earth would I use a crappy controller with a built in tiny screen instead of playing on the actual pc with a much bigger screen and a gaming mouse and keyboard?

Sent from my IceColdJelly HOX via Tapatalk

Clearly agree !
Different audience as first creation date was different and Ouya wont need a battery so it can be used :)
Would love a Ouya with Tegra4 (but will be next year if i understood well) !

RobKort

Jan 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
I really don't see a competition here. Looking at the two devices they couldn't be further away from each other and the way they are marketed.

.........TPT'd From my SGS3

adity

Aug 18, 2012
mumbai
With the specs it got, I think ouya will work great.
It won't have to worry about battery,
Widgets or the horrible facebook app sitting into its memory all the time.
On the other hand shield is just a phone with a controller.
The stream from pc feature is more of a gimmick from what I can see.
Nvidia gpu's support 3d but you need a special monitor and some special 3d kit for it to run.
There's gotta be a catch with this one too

Sent from my MT11i using xda app-developers app

Shield for now...

The thing is that Project Shield is mobile, and the Ouya isn't. That alone is what would lead me to get the Shield. I can save my phone battery for browsing and other stuff, and have a dedicated mobile gaming platform. The only thing is at the rate tech is moving Tegra 5 will be here in 2 years, and my Shield will be outdated...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    youre trying to compair a 100$ tv connected box with a 500$ handheld system. Its like compairing the wii from yesteryear to the psvita. Two completely different things. The ouya will be powerfull enough to do basic things but supposedly there will be a better one next year with the new Tegra chipset.
    Why would I want to stream games? I'd need the hardware in my PC to do so and at that point...why am I not gaming on my gaming desktop? The logic doesn't follow with that at all.
    I personally think that Nvidia shield is better than this one. With the shield, you can stream your PC games on it.

Well, i agree with you. Remember that you' ll need an NVIDIA graphics card to do that "magic" trick :cyclops:
    The Tegra 3 in the OUYA is going to be more powerful than the ones found in mobile devices because that there is no power constraint.
    are two different devices too ...