Z1 Compact audio quality, post your impressions

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5518680

Why cant i install Viperforandroid? I tried twrp and phils recoverys..
Were you able to get it to work? I am on lollipop . 242 but I am unable to make it stick. first time I installed it worked for just a few secs then nu'un!

I have enabled selinux & even installed it as a system app!

zike47222

Apr 12, 2014
Were you able to get it to work? I am on lollipop . 242 but I am unable to make it stick. first time I installed it worked for just a few secs then nu'un!

Yes it is working on my fone.. on 4.4.4 but that post was from the middle of last year. I dont have Lollipop yet. Will flash soon.. so if you find a fix let me know?

marphal

Oct 5, 2008
Although the audio quality of Z1 Compact is not bad, the output is in general quiet. I do not use Walkman, mainly because of one reason - when travelling, the sound sometimes stutters, so I use PowerAMP with settings adjusted to prevent any chance of stutter.

I recommend if you want to really improve the audio quality of Z1 Compact (and loudness with it), use external headphone amplifier, or USB DAC.

I use Sound Blaster E1 (with Shure SE 425 headphones) and the difference is massive, even if E1 is not really that expensive headphone amplifier. Basically using E1 as headphone amplifier improved audio quality by a lot and solved any problem with quiet output. Also I was able to switch off all software tweaks to sound (incl. EQ) and that also helped a bit with more details recognizable in music (at least with my Shure SE 425). Now I am very happy with the sound coming from this combination of Z1 Compact -> Sound Blaster E1 -> Shure SE 425. With better amplifier it may be even better, but you can say that with every hardware device in this audio chain.

I have to warn that using Sound Blaster E1 with Z1 Compact has some issues - the phone does not want to work with it when connected through USB (on KitKat, I have not tried it on Lollipop), so I use it as headphone amplifier. Other issue is that the bundled audio cable also does not work with Z1 Compact and standard (preferably a quality one) audio 3,5 mm - jack to jack cable is needed.

dazzerfong

Nov 22, 2014

You might have to edit the build.prop to add the following lines:

lpa.decode=false
tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=false
lpa.releaselock=false

@ marphal:

I'll be careful in saying that. I'm personally running an O2/ODAC combo on a pair of HD700's, and while there are some differences, it shouldn't be night-and-day, especially with a pair of IEM's. IEM's shouldn't be quiet on these: headphones are, unfortunately, unless you modify one of the files to increase gain.

marphal

Oct 5, 2008
I agree that I should be careful with my claims, but for me the difference is very easily audible (I agree that with different headphones the difference may be less or more audible). I have used Z1 Compact without headphone amplifier for at least half a year and headphone amplifier significantly improved my audio experience to the point I am very happy with, and I am certain it is not placebo effect. I was also sceptical before I have tried it, I did not expect anything more than a possibility to increase volume without damage to audio quality.

Not sure about what you wrote with regard to IEM´s is general experience. In some songs, I reached the maximum volume with Shure SE 425 and wanted it to be louder. In most songs it was o.k., but having some margin with headphone amplifier is not bad thing. BTW I do not use volume levelling. These more expensive IEM´s are sufficiently sensitive to enable hearing differences in audio output with or without headphone amplifier.

I wrote what helped me, maybe it will not work for everyone and every combination with all headphones, but at least people can try. It is definitely cheaper than buying Z3 Compact or other phone. And most of these devices can be used as sound card with your laptop.

I do not consider myself an audiophile by any means, just like clean output with sufficient volume to make heavy music really heavy. Headphone amp made big difference for me and finally I am happy when listening to music on my journeys.

dazzerfong

Nov 22, 2014
I agree that I should be careful with my claims, but for me the difference is very easily audible (I agree that with different headphones the difference may be less or more audible). I have used Z1 Compact without headphone amplifier for at least half a year and headphone amplifier significantly improved my audio experience to the point I am very happy with, and I am certain it is not placebo effect. I was also sceptical before I have tried it, I did not expect anything more than a possibility to increase volume without damage to audio quality.

I will say this though, having a decent amp will nuke the hissing sensitive IEM's have. Always good to have one around to get rid of the nasties.

Not sure about what you wrote with regard to IEM´s is general experience. In some songs, I reached the maximum volume with Shure SE 425 and wanted it to be louder. In most songs it was o.k., but having some margin with headphone amplifier is not bad thing. BTW I do not use volume levelling. These more expensive IEM´s are sufficiently sensitive to enable hearing differences in audio output with or without headphone amplifier.

I wrote what helped me, maybe it will not work for everyone and every combination with all headphones, but at least people can try. It is definitely cheaper than buying Z3 Compact or other phone. And most of these devices can be used as sound card with your laptop.

I do not consider myself an audiophile by any means, just like clean output with sufficient volume to make heavy music really heavy. Headphone amp made big difference for me and finally I am happy when listening to music on my journeys.

On headphones and a very small minority of IEM's, where sensitivity and power transfer isn't excellent, you'll have volume problems. However, with the SE425, you shouldn't be anywhere near maxing the volume out. I'm rocking 535's now, and my ears start to get painful at even the 3/4 mark.

Better, I'm not gonna comment on that further, because everyone's opinion is going to be different on that. The volume, however, isn't: loud is loud. Still, glad to see there's a fellow audiophile on this board (don't try and run away, the fact you're willing to invest that much into audio means by definition, you are one!) :)

pathaniya

May 28, 2010
Only Viper audio has improved it's (Z1c) sound quality. Sony plays safer with sound output, this where Viper Audio comes. I miss pre-amps on stock music players. I'll give average rating to Sony's sound output.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why do you keep just copy and pasting random statements from websites?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Perhaps the keys below are the only ones that work on the keyboard?
    Ctrl C
    Ctrl V

Hehe!

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Hello..

this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones. I read some reviews, but none discuss this very important spec. Only gsmarena, but their audio reviews seems to be suspect.

So, how do you guys like the sound quality on z1 compact? Is it any good? Got any comparsions with other phones?

Thanks

I'm pretty much delighted with my compact - fast, actually phone sized (I HATE these stupid 5" plus "phones"), and good looking!
    Downsides:
    1. The glass back.... why? It's completely unnecessary, and I'm sure it scratches just looking at it....
    2. (some of...) The dev forum posts appear to be populated by bumptious arrogant folks who think their s#1t doesn't stink.
    3. The audio is lacking - I'm an audiophile, and am really quite disappointed. The walkman app is rubbish, and the "sound effects, equaliser etc" are truly rubbish.

To get the best from the compact:
    Buy PowerAmp.
    Take your music collection and run it through Foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org/
    Apply ReplayGain tags to your tracks. Check this: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain
    Search for applying replygain using foobar2000 for some good guides
    In poweramp settings, audio, ReplayGain: Set Apply Gain, By track, Set to +6dB
    If you are rooted, install xposed framework and add xVolume30 module (allows 45 step volume control) - this doesn't increase volume, but gives finer control)
    Make sure you have a decent pair of IEM's (for advice, feel free to PM me (actually, if you want to know more about any of the above, PM me!)

:D
    Why do you keep just copy and pasting random statements from websites?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I'm pretty much delighted with my compact - fast, actually phone sized (I HATE these stupid 5" plus "phones"), and good looking!

So am I (and so do I). Btw good advice on the "get the best from the compact" :good: If one would want that, its very helpful indeed.

vboechat said:
    this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones

As for the sound: I'm not a audiophile or whatever, and do not have much music-through-headphone-experience, but I listen music a lot, and I think it's great.
    My previous phone was a Razr, which had terrible sound. In everything.
    Now I have Sony phone, use the Sony music app, and have Sony headphones (the one that came with when preordered, MDR-10rc) and I just love it. But who am I :cowboy:
    I've tried my closed back Sony headphones and open backed seinnhisers (sp). The phone sounds worst of all with earphones though, get a lot of hiss.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

What model are your Sony and sennheiser head/earphones?
    Are you happy with them otherwise?
    Just in case you are in the market for a new pair, I can very highly recommend two pairs:
    Klipsch Image X10 - High Performance Noise-Isolating In ear headphones - you can get a pair on Amazon for less than £100 - worlds smallest IEM's but truly excellent sound and range - I wear them on the tube trains and overland trains, really noisy environments but I don't even need to turn up the volume!
    Same goes for Soundmagic's E30's - £40 on Amazon, but you need to buy Comply TX400 memory foam tips to get the best out of them and get full noise cancelling.... I've got a collection of headphones worth over £2000, and for my daily use, I use the pairs above!
    Oh a Google bug, I'm too harsh for assuming it's Sony's fault. :)