How can I delete the 4.4.2 update without applying it?

Search This thread

redhonker

May 11, 2008
Stock AT&T 4.4, not rooted. Still thinking about root.

I thought I've frozen update, Motorola OTA, and FOTA. But apparently I forgot.

Now I kept getting "New System Software Avaiable" notification.

Anyway to get rid of this notificaiton without applying the update?

I've tried to connect my device via USB to ADB but the computer does not seem to recognize it any more. Not even the camera / MTP connection works.

Thanks

shane1

Nov 22, 2010
The update is downloaded to your cache. Go there and delete the update.

Oops just seen your not rooted so you can't access your cache I believe.

redhonker

May 11, 2008
In Apps, you can disable an app. I just checked, updater and FOTA are disabled. But Motorola OTA does not allow disable right now

redhonker

May 11, 2008
If I wipe the cache, do I lose anything? (by the name of cache, I should not, but want to be sure)

Also, can anyone confirm if an unrooted device can have the MotorolaOTA disabled to avoid downloading the system updates?

Thanks

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
If I wipe the cache, do I lose anything? (by the name of cache, I should not, but want to be sure)

Also, can anyone confirm if an unrooted device can have the MotorolaOTA disabled to avoid downloading the system updates?

Thanks

You can wipe the cache in the recovery menu if you have stock recovery. Follow these steps posted on Motorola's website. but on step 7 don't factory reset, just reset the cache instead.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._detail/a_id/94936/p/30,6720,8696/action/auth

EDIT: You won't lost anything ;)

EDIT AGAIN: You need root to disable Motorola OTA since it's a system app.

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
The other way to clear cache... IF you have a proper setup of ADB and the Android Platform Tools.. (and can run fastboot from a command prompt)...

With the phone powered off and unplugged from the PC...

1. press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS. Just let it sit there.

3. Plug usb cable to PC

4. Open a command prompt and type...
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot

5. The phone should erase the cache, then reboot normally.

6. You may unplug the phone from the PC once the phone has started rebooting.

7. The first reboot after erasing the cache will take a little longer, and you may see messages like "updating applications" or such.

redhonker

May 11, 2008
Your guys are right. After clearing cache, there is no way to disable Motorola OTA, even though updater and FOTA can be disabled.

If I update, is there a way to downgrade later?

Thanks

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
If I update, is there a way to downgrade later?

Thanks
No. Not exactly. Due to changes in the bootloader included with 4.4.2, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2.

It certainly caused enough issues that those with locked bootloaders were told to NOT try and downgrade from 4.4.2 in order to attempt to obtain root via SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo processes.

There was a thread fully discussing bricking the X when downgrading from 4.4.2 to older firmwares here on XDA but for some reason that has since disappeared. There is still this thread -> http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ta-if-you-have-rooted-modded-your-system.html which discusses it.

Last edited:

redhonker

May 11, 2008
I've clicked on yes. So far nothing has happened and there is no pop-up. I wonder if the fact that updated and FOTA are disabled have anything to do with it.

motomesh

Oct 4, 2013
You can wipe the cache in the recovery menu if you have stock recovery. Follow these steps posted on Motorola's website. but on step 7 don't factory reset, just reset the cache instead.

EDIT: You won't lost anything ;)

EDIT AGAIN: You need root to disable Motorola OTA since it's a system app.

Tried this method but the phone still prompts to install the downloaded update, which I must continue to postpone. Within the cache directory I have not seen the 165.44.1 update. I accidentally hit download a few days back, I would love to delete the download and remove the notifications before I accidentally apply the stupid thing. I've tried disabling the update service within Google Services Framework but that hasn't done the trick either.

Obviously I am missing something, but I'm baffled as to where this stupid downloaded update even resides. I haven't been able to locate the file itself with adb or any other file exploration. I'm already rooted.

redhonker

May 11, 2008
Tried this method but the phone still prompts to install the downloaded update, which I must continue to postpone. Within the cache directory I have not seen the 165.44.1 update. I accidentally hit download a few days back, I would love to delete the download and remove the notifications before I accidentally apply the stupid thing. I've tried disabling the update service within Google Services Framework but that hasn't done the trick either.

Obviously I am missing something, but I'm baffled as to where this stupid downloaded update even resides. I haven't been able to locate the file itself with adb or any other file exploration. I'm already rooted.

As of today, I am still on 4.4. I've clicked on yes. But with the two services disabled, no update is applied.